Author Topic: Different seats  (Read 9740 times)

Bruce

Different seats
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 08:12:58 PM »
Quote from: "Dom"

As far as MOT's go, is there anything I should be careful about regarding this?

Dom

Yes, if the seats tilt to allow access to the back seats do make sure they do not move and are locked down, when not tilted.

Dom

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2915992
Different seats
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 10:52:24 PM »
I have finally made some progress in puting in the new seats. Its not done yet, but will hopefully be done by the weekend!

I have almost finished the modified runners/subframe/interface thingy, just need to do a little more welding, but the difficult bit is done and prototype runner ready.

The above pictures show the runner with the solid steel bar welded to it. This will be done to all four of the runners I have cut off the old 126 seat. You can also see the two holes tapped to fit M6 bolts. On top of this I will bolt down a sheet of strong ply, until i manage to track down a suitable metal sheet (which is proving almost impossible!)
Then I will follow in the same way 126Dave has done and mount the seat with its universal runners on top of this.
Not sure if anyone can forsee any problems with this method? Just hope this holds up with the weight of me and the new seats.
Cant wait!
Hope it works?!?

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
Different seats
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 11:30:39 PM »
nice one Dom, looks like its coming along nicely!

have you thought about aluminium checker plating? You can get it in a variety of thicknesses. From most DIY stores

regards

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

bis13

Different seats
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
dom just go down to a local metal supliers and buy some thats what i do ,as for checker plate you will pay about 30 to 40 quid for a sheet of 3mm or 4mm  2 x 1 metre at a metal supplier .  i have bought some new seats to chuck in me car so  i shall be playing about very soon keep us posted on how you go cheers mick

bis13

Different seats
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 08:37:25 AM »
i got it sussed , i bought some corbeau buckets and have found a way to mount the seats onto original fiat runners . no welding is neccesary but can be optional. i have done one and it works fantasticly. so today i will do the second and do a photo guide and post it .

Dom

Different seats
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 11:52:57 AM »
Cool, looking forward to the photo guide. I have my seats in now, but it was not any where as near as easy as i'd thought, and is only a temporary measure, as they look a little awkward.
Also the 126 is about 2 inches wider than the 500. Not much, but crucial when it comes to puting in the seats as they are cruseched against the side and only move forward, only with a struggle and as for seat belts? not worked that out yet!

bis13

Different seats
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 02:31:32 PM »
this is on a 500 runner as i thought i would see if it worked on both types,

Dom

Different seats
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 08:13:28 PM »
that is cool, and a hell of a lot less fiddly than mine. I have two sets of runners in use, both the original 500 ones (which are very stiff) and the ones that came with the seat. May try and make a frame up like yours, as my seats are sitting pretty high. Where did you get the metal from?

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
Different seats
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 08:19:25 PM »
blimey thats great lol

they are identical seats to the ones ive got i think

looks simple too

how long did it take you Mick?

regards
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

bis13

Different seats
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 03:12:21 PM »
to sit and think about it and fabricate the first one took me half a day, to make the second about 2 hrs . take your time on the first and use it as a guide for the second the trickiest part is you must angle grind the original seat pivots and hammer them out then cut the outside part left away. secondly bending the flat iron for the front is crucial. the measurement between the two bends must be 395mm.

you will need 2 x 25 x 5 mm flat iron ( 2 x 1 m).

2 x 25 mm x 25 mm square tube ( 2 x 1 m).

flat iron cut to 2 x 375 mm these are for seat base and may differ from seat to seat (make).

1 x 470mm flat iron    this is to be bent at either end.

1 x 430mm square tube  

1 x 314mm square tube

m6 or m8 20mm bolts , nuts , washers.
 length of m6 or m8 threaded rod.
 drill good drill bits (flat iron is quite hard for crap drills beware !)

mini grinder

patience and a good supply of tea .

all materials can be purchased from diy stores or metal suppliers .

all the drilling is self explanatory and may differ from seat to seat , the positioning of anchor bolts may be a standard throughout all makes of after market seats i don t know.

hope this helps a little , cheers mick

Dom

Different seats
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 05:39:39 PM »
That is very impressive. I'm gonna use mine as they are for a bit, as am totally knackred from trying. But will eventually try and make the subframes like you have done if I can get hold of another set of 500/126 seats. Would be a cool touch if the tipping seat part could be kept in use - not that anyone could fit in the back with bucket seats!