Author Topic: 10,000 miles London - Mongolia  (Read 2822 times)

MongolMike

10,000 miles London - Mongolia
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:21:49 PM »
Urgent help required!

Somehow I've been talked into driving from London to Mongolia next July for charity in a 19 YEAR OLD FIAT 126!!!
For those who don't know, the event is called the Mongol Rally and has been running for 4 or 5 years now. This trip was first attempted in a Fiat 126; albeit unsuccessfully! When my friend and I were unwittingly roped into this epic voyage we thought there would be a nice symetry if we were to actually complete the rally in a 126.

Just by chance a friend of ours was trying to sell his wife's 126 at the same time but was finding it (understandibly) difficult to prise her away from it. For the princely sum of £350 we are now the proud owners of 'Dilly' (as we found out she is called) and are hastily making plans for our trip next July.

I am not embarassed to say that despite our brief courtship I have fallen head over heels for my metallic madonna!!! Her body - so modest and yet so sweetly satisfying... 1 previous loving owner!!!

I suppose I'm looking for any advice that you can offer in respect of repairs, likely faults, modifications and any other pearls of wisdom you care to share.

Look forward to hearing your reply!

Ryan126

Re: 10,000 miles London - Mongolia
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »
Hows the prep going? Any updates for us??

prkahrvat

• PEGLATRON
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »
i would like to go in mongolia with my 126, please send me a message if i can go with you!
Sorry for bad english!

MongolMike

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Prep is going slowly... Its taken us ages to get hold of some bloody wing mirrors! Hoping to get it on the road in the next couple of weeks to see how we stand. A bit worried that the poor little thing won't be able to handle the terrain in Mongolia, considering an upgrade of the suspension and tyres - Don't really know how viable this is... Any thoughts?

Still trying to get hold of a Haynes manual, have found the download for the basics on here but was hoping to buy a hard copy just can't seem to find one anywhere...

We're seriously green when it comes to this so it is going to be a major learning curve!

prkahrvat

• PEGLATRON
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »
it would be great to have winter tyres set with you, and full trunk of reserve parts, i beleive that car can do much more. And most important is to have 10 liters (2galons) of oil... [-/
Sorry for bad english!

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 04:25:46 PM »
There is an upgrade sold through a few of the dealers which seems expensive, in the region of about £500+ if memory serves me correct. I think it's more a sporty upgrade but may help with carrying a heavier load in the front as the standard spring is not great for carrying loads as I found-out thinking I could throw a few bags of cement in the front of mine.
I think after 4 it was overloaded however the rear suspension seems to be able to take more load.

Have a look for spares suppliers in the links on this website.

I'd advise sticking with the standard tyres, I have wider cinqeucento type on mine which seem to grip more, but alloy wheels cannot be beaten back into place like a steel wheel.

My days in africa we thought a steel rim was the way to go, split is best as one can go through bad patches and end-up with three punctures in a row. Pity I chucked-out some bis wheels I had kicking about here, two spares would be good.
I had a trick for mud, which was reduce the tyre pressure a bit, like down to 1 bar and carry a thick mat in the back of the pick-up, if it got stuck, chuck the mat under the wheels and with a bit of luck you'd pop-out! In a really muddy stoney spot we used snow chains 8)as it was steep ups and downs.

It's a BIS I assume, and I'd advise strongly for your own sanity to upgrade to electronic ignition, and pull the thermostat out, and then run it regularly for a bit to be sure all is well.

On a run like that new shocks may just make the diference between breaking something and not as the roads might get a tad rough. Memories of land cruisers with broken springs still fresh in my mind :oops:

Weak points on the BIS are the cooling as the thermostat was placed far away from the head, under normal circumstances it gets a little warmer than it should to open the thermostat, if it's an old thermostat and a bit sticky, it may not open at all, and then it's too late.. The gear box is another swine that needs to be treated special, and learn from me, don't put it into first until the car has completely stopped! 1st has no syncromesh. :oops: Learn from me, I'm on my second box and all seems well now as it's been in for about 8000miles. If you can get a good box on e bay, take it apart and keep just the middle bit with the gears in, chuck it in the boot, you never know..KNowing not to use first unless pulluing away from a dead stop helps from the start.

I'd get a new set of the silent blocks (the aluminium bits with rubber in them) that connect the drive shaft to the wheel bit, they perrish over time, and with how far you going, and on the roads it might be a good idea. Every time you take a hub apart the stupid nut needs to be changed so a couple of spare nuts maybe some bearings. Take em all with.

I'd try replace anything that is rubber and a bit perrished underneath. My experience is it's a matter of time before it disappears.

I've been thinking of doing the trip to Italy we spoke about on here, one cannot carry a spare car, so just careful preparation and a few key spares and you should be ok. Oil, coolant, (I ran my bis on 100% coolant) tools...

Oh and fuel pump and a new rod and spacer is a must for under the bonnet as a spare.
I have a spare altenator if you want to borrow it as a spare to take along.
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

Tomasz

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 11:10:18 PM »
i have a spare haynes manual and other parts for aircooled 126's.  It will be an awesome trip, i would love to do it myself.

MongolMike

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 09:27:10 PM »
Apologies for the slow update but we've been busy planning the trip. We've finally got the 126 MOT'd and I've been running it as my day to day car once a week... It's absolutely flying apart from when I flooded the engine when I first used the choke... Rookie mistake but lesson learned!!!

We've got most of the content of the website completed now, just waiting on a friend of ours to format it... Quite excited now... Check it out at:

http://mongolrally10.theadventurists.com/index.php?mode=teamwebsites&name=close-but-no-bataar

For anyone who is interested in competing next year have a look at the wider site for further info!

Tomasz, I don't suppose you still have that spare copy of the Haynes manual by any chance? I'd be happy to pay for it if you do.

Cheers

P.S Does anyone have any experience of fitting a roof rack to a 126?

Jan-in-UK

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 09:31:13 PM »
It is very very simple mate. Just buy one from polish websites. Original are the best as they are strong as hell.
Such a thing as Fiat 126p will never happen again to this planet... Love it.
www.fsoclub.co.uk

Tomasz

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 10:03:41 AM »
I think i do still have a spare.  PM me your address and i will send it to you.  Would lover to do the mongol rally but as from this year you cant take a car made before 2001!  so annoying.

bis13

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 03:29:40 PM »
i had a roof rack fitted for a while if you get hold of one of the old halfords type that were made in the eighties they fit straight on however i wouldnt bother with being particular find the biggest roof rack that will fit and connect (weld or rivet) it directly to the roof that way the thing will never fall off or be stolen

MADMALUCH

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 01:34:13 AM »
Hi there...if you happen to be passing through Poland on your epic trip you are welcome to come over and camp at my place , use any tools , or if the worst happens borrow a few bits off my 126 which i am collecting this weekend...

I am about 100 miles from the German border , about 100 miles south of Gdansk...  between the towns of Drawsko pomorskie and Polczyn zdroj on the 163 route...

If i am on route you will be welcome to visit and stay for free..

best of luck..       Jan..
Sounds rough...i think its only running on two cylinders...?

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 09:09:48 PM »
Its a real Boys & Girls adventure [-/ Here's Frank and Olly In there Imp, they seem to have picked up a 126 along the way, Have tried to find out how far the icle one got, It could have made it all the way but i can't find any information on the Mongol Rally site

Here's there Video, Don't blink you'll miss the 126 :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5hk_chz47Q
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo