Author Topic: bis smokes on tick over then stalls  (Read 7061 times)

126_bis

Re: bis smokes on tick over then stalls
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 09:31:28 AM »
Yeah always had the filter on there, i replaced it with a new one and had the carb out and cleaned it all out. Now you come to mention it he was quite noises tappet wise.  But all of a sudden the noise has quietened down. Don't know if it's to do with me driving back at 40 mph in second all the way home. This morning he has started straight up and has been ticking over for 45 mins with no issues.  Just to scared to take it off the drive lol incase it breaks down again. Shame really because the attention the car gets is unreal. My area is full of done up jap cars and slammed vw but they always comment saying how awesome he is  ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:33:01 AM by 126_bis »

poxxxy

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »
Haha, yeah Jap scene boys all over the place here with civics everywhere! Got a VW myself but would rather drive the 126 if I could for the thrills of 26hp. What color is your bis? :)
My 1991/2 Fiat 126 BIS Restoration: http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8559.90

126_bis

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 08:52:25 PM »
I know the power is ridiculous lol makes me laugh. My one is red. Car is mint tbh. Been out in it today and had no issues. If it breaks down tomorrow when I head towards the M6 I know it's the M6 it's hates lol

Mics126

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 10:09:29 PM »
its the same here as well with the jap/vw (even a few ferrari's) cars but oth my 126's have always got more attention(especially my yellow/orange 126), I know that as a fact as my mate had a civic(mb6) vti
and was following me and saying how many people were looking at my car.

shame theres nothing obvios with the fault I find they are the worst ones. hopefully you will find it soon.

poxxxy

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 04:01:17 PM »
Hmm I'm back to this now... got car started no smoke... gets warmer and starts smoking (looks white but smells like oil perhaps!) Then eventually starts choking up and cuts out, can keep it going a little longer with the choke but even that doesn't work. Different cylinder head, new valve stem seals,  same problem :(.
My 1991/2 Fiat 126 BIS Restoration: http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8559.90

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
Must be rings  :( it's the only other way oil can get in surely
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

poxxxy

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 04:54:18 PM »
Perhaps, just feel like I'm clutching at straws :(. Spent as much trying to fix the car as I spent on the car so far and will need to buy another cylinder head/intake manifold gasket to try anything else. Not to mention the hours, oh the hours! Looks like I need to take the engine out and gearbox and strip them completely down. Would of preferred a reasonably priced 2nd hand one to appear though that either works or can be worked on away from the car lol.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:55:52 PM by poxxxy »

1973/126

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 05:58:41 PM »
 Poxxy what sort of mileage has your engine done?
 Is there any mixing of oil/water, or any overheating issues when you run it up to temperature?
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

poxxxy

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 08:52:03 PM »
The clocks say 20k or so... so wouldn't of thought it was rings if that was the case... bought the car with no history etc and had to plod along the whole time waiting for parts to arrive from foreign lands... spent what I paid for the car though since in trying to get it on the road :(.

I really appreciate electronic ignition though with these bloody rubbish points and condensor... I never really appreciated them properly until trying to get this thing running right :(, and those sensors I hate that go wrong... at least they tell you whats going on! Water does not appear to be mixing with the oil... had the original head skimmed and was fitted with a copper gasket. Compression was high but engine ran with the smoke pouring out the back. I have a video on here somewhere. Decided to try new valve stem seals on a cc700 head I bought from Poland and fitted that but with a normal gasket out of the big engine gasket kit... now I'll need another along with an intake manifold gasket and jesus christ god knows what else :(. lol.

Mics126

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »
Have you checked the compression, because there might be a crack in the piston( only needs to be a hair line crack) that gets worse the hoter it gets therefore burning oil and losing power.

Mike.

poxxxy

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2014, 09:42:29 PM »
Kind of, will have to check again tomorrow. Where would the piston be likely to crack? The top is smooth as butter... quickest way to drop the engine might be useful hehe.  How'd the drive shafts disconnect?

Mics126

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »
well normally it is the top of the piston. the trouble is you get the carbon deposites and this causes hot and cold spots and his normally causes it to crack. its my only thought wth your probem that makes sense because if its the piston rings then it would soke constantly and it would not realy run cold or hot.

what ever happens i hope you manage to fix your car.

Mike

poxxxy

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 11:12:44 PM »
Thanks for your input Mike, much appreciated. Guess I shouldn't order anything without a full stripdown... just not sure I have it left in me :D.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 07:01:21 AM »
Don't beat yourself up bud you were right to have suspected stem seals. I would've done exactly what you done. Although at 20k it's unlikely to be pistons or rings, it would seem that it's in that area that the problem is (unless your extremely unlucky and fitted duff stem seals). My old engine had only done a reported 9k when I discovered a broken oil control ring on the piston although it never smoked it just rattled.

DONT GIVE UP! I had nothing but bad luck with my 126 in the first 3 months of ownership and in the end a complete engine strip and rebuild was the only way to sort it and now it runs like a dream. I'ld love electronic ignition but to be honest as I've found out very recently by replacing a duff distributor, a properly set up dizzy works beautifully. Hang in there bud :)
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

poxxxy

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 12:02:33 PM »
I think in all honesty, even after rebuilding i'll need to source a new/decent 2nd hand carb... and would love to know how to tell if my dizzy is knackered... seems to be a little play on the shaft when doing static timing... move it one way then gotta move it more the other way to get the light to come back on etc. Not sure if its normal or not! lol. Going to start taking it apart today and get the pistons out. Then I think a dry/hard bedding in is in order!