Author Topic: 126 BIS owner from North Devon!  (Read 4420 times)

kev126

• Built not bought
126 BIS owner from North Devon!
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:54:02 PM »
Hey everyone! From Sunday just gone, I am the proud owner of a 1989 Fiat 126 BIS!

I'm 22 years old from Barnstaple, in Devon and I'm so pleased with my new motor :) I recently gave up the 'car scene' as I could no longer be bothered, and scrapped my car. Upon getting this one, however, it seems to have revived my hobbies (sorry bank account!).

I first saw these cars at the 2011 RR Gathering at Prescott Hill Climb. There was a small group of them up near the top end of the field near the curry trailer and I was fascinated!

It took a 15 hour round trip covering approx 600 to get the 126 and I cannot believe it made it home. The car has been dry stored/pretty much been sat for 9 years and now has 27k on the clock!

I must apologise in advance for the pictures, as the only current ones I have, have me doing absolutely ridiculous poses as we are quite the jokey type  ;) but you get an idea of the car! My plans were initially just to keep it standard, but being an ex-stance whore, I WILL be slamming it (somehow) with camber and dished wheels/tyre stretch :D

I hope to one day meet up with many of you at meets/shows. I attend RR Gathering and Retro Show at Santa Pod every year :)

INSPIRATION

And here's a few of my previous car which, maybe, some may recognise from it's 4 month reign as the lowest static car in Devon =P

Cheers, Kev.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:10:03 PM by kev126 »
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

popik81

Re: 126 BIS owner from North Devon!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:54:24 AM »
last photo..... welcome on board ;)

Draigflag

• Got a New Abarth 500 too!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:06:27 AM »
You remind me, of me! Similar age, similar cars and a similar attitude towards what other think! This is not a car for those with ego problems!

Welcome and enjoy, these cars are more than fun!

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 08:16:14 AM »
Thanks peeps! I've had mixed views from friends, family and co-workers so far - some absolutely adore it, where as others think I'm downright bonkers! I absolutely love it so who cares :D

Ps. This will be left clean and looked after very well. Previous cars were 'rat' because they cost £200ish and were already rotten :)
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

pietschokkenbroek

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 07:20:55 PM »
Welcome! The car looks good, I am interested to see your modifications to improve the stance!! Enjoy!

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »
Good luck with your new motor, one thing is for sure , motoring will not be boring  ;D
 ;D Whatever way you go with the car , smart or rat , if it is done well then I am sure it will be admired  :D
Get your tent sorted for Retro Rides 2013  :o

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 09:01:56 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your purchase. Your car is the same colour as mine!

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »
Cheers guys! I will definitely be attending RRG next year! I am part of another group (RustRashFlyers) but I may just have to tag along with some of you if you have a stand :) !

I'm looking forward to getting some stance achieved but probably not until next year - no more monies left after buying her  ;) need to sort out servicing and shizzle first.. priorities!

I love the colour - it's my favourite for a car so I got lucky! As you can see in the pics above, I had my wheels sprayed VW ivory/cream  8)

I'll get a project thread started (if I can find the section) so watch this space  :)
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

Hazey-n-Marc

• It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:19:04 PM »
I'm still a rat boy at heart, nice 5. Make sure you drain, refill, and bleed your coolant, as well as replacing the thermostat and checking the water pump (it is behind the thermostat), the cooling system isn't the greatest.

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »
Thanks Hazey! Although I know my way around suspensions and such, I'm a complete dumb idiot when it comes to engines - I know nothing!

If someone could show me a picture of what my thermostat and water pump looks likem I'd be extremely grateful! I was only able to identify the fuel pump  ::)
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

Hazey-n-Marc

• It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 07:07:35 PM »
The thermostat is the thing with three pipes coming out of it at the bottom of the engine, nearest the radiator, you will see the water pump when the thermostat is off the car.

Bruce

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 01:18:06 AM »
South devon here, not been on for a few years. My 126 is not going, been sitting in a garage unused for over ten years. Last time I checked it it still turned over but all the petrol pipes are rotton.

It was running when I put it away but haven't been down the garage for over a year. they go by so quick.

I'm off to bed now :)

Blimy is over 6 years since i was here last. Tempas fugit
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:21:22 AM by Bruce »

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 07:54:14 AM »
Blimey, ten years is a long time! It qualifies as a barn find. Apart from the fuel pipes, is it in relatively good condition? Is it a aircooled and watercooled version?

Bruce

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »
It is a white F reg Bis. Last time it was taken out was for its MOT, afterwards it was put back in the garage. It has a thick layer of dust on it and all four tyres have gone down. It might have been down there longer. I put it away when I got a Motability car, but as the government is gonna shut that down soon I'll need to get it going again.

I hope the tyres are all right as they cost quite a lot and where brand new (about 6 years ago) to fit the Cinquecento Alloys.

I was given a genuine Californian duster recently so I'll have to take it down the garage and wipe the car over. I've got some Vitaloni Californian Mirrors and a smaller steering wheel to take down there so it will give me an excuse.

Found some old pictures I had uploaded onto my webspace:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 05:48:14 PM by Bruce »

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 07:09:44 PM »
Looks in v.g. condition. Love the steering wheel. What make is it? I am looking for a nice steering wheel for my other (red in colour) 126 Bis.