Fiat 126 Chat > Fiat 126 Mechanical Problem Solving

1964 Fiat 600D

(1/2) > >>

Amateb8:
Sorry, this is not a Fiat 126 query.

My 1964 Fiat 600D consumes a lot of condensers. I drive the car rarely, but when I do, it drive extremely well. however, lately, when I drive it, it loses power and starts to backfire a bit. I then replace/change the condenser, it drive well again. But then, when I drive it again, it drives fine, and then it loses power etc. I replace the condenser, it drive well again. It seems to do to the same every time. What is wrong with it? Could it be the voltage regulator? Please help.

Minijohn:
I don't know, but 2 things come to mind...

Do you have the correct coil fitted?
There are 2 types of coil - ballast and non-ballast.
If you have the wrong one then maybe it eats condensors.

Also, do you have the connections to the coil the correct way round.
I think the car will run if they're wrong but maybe that also would eat the condensor.

Amateb8:
Hi Minijohn,
It has a built-in ballast resistor, I think. When I bought the coil from Ricambio some years ago, they asked the year of the car.

The car used to run extremely well, until recently. I don't drive the car frequently, but when I do, it starts with no issues. After driving it for a for a few minutes, it starts to lose power and backfires a bit. When I fit or replace the condenser, it drives well again. I need to fit a new condenser every time.

Does the coil need replacing?

Amateb8:
Is there a plastic washer inside the distributor? Bolt for the condenser.

Minijohn:
I don't know the answer to your last question but if you've had the same coil for "some years" (and it used to run fine) then maybe your coil is the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version