Author Topic: 126 BIS Overheating  (Read 2286 times)

The Laird

126 BIS Overheating
« on: February 23, 2006, 07:25:59 AM »
Hi Guys,

I recently had a problem with the Puttputt blowing out all of its water and overheating at the airport.  Subsequently found that the fan had been blocked with a bit of metal and the fuse on the fan motor had blown !!  I had to get a new thermostat and the local accessory shop actually had one on the shelf. I had been running it for a few days after testing for signs of what might be the problem as everything was okay after the breakdown. When I went to replace the old one I found that the old housing did not have a thermostat in it. On questioning my previous mechanic ( 13 years ago ) he said they never run them with stat's because they always create high pressure in the system and eventually blow out the coolant.

The only difference I have noticed since the ' change ' is that it heats up very quickly now and deposits about a standard size yoghurt pot of coolant every time used!

Perhaps I will remove the stat, any general comments ?

The Laird

paul harbinson.

126 BIS Overheating
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 07:56:15 AM »
On this occasion I would agree with your old mechanic,I think with the heat of where you are it was a wise move because the coolant can run more freely without restriction.Now before anyone bite's the nose of me the appropriate thing to do would be to fit a thermostat that open's earlier (even so the thermostat is there to help the engine heat up quicker and cause the heater to heat up faster but the last thing you need is a car that heat's up quickly) but I would think the chance's of finding one on the shelf in Malta would be slim :lol: On a totally different subject has Malta changed much in the last thirty year's my family lived there for a year (dad was stationed there in the navy) must find out the old address and let you know.
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

126cab

126 overheating
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 08:52:02 AM »
Hi Laird, Have you thought about fitting thermostat conversoin kit from Ricambio, cost you about £80 but does the trick, it moves the thermostat to the top of the engine (were the heat is) so opening sooner, i have fitted one to my bis works a treat.
Fiat 126 Cabrio

maxlee

• http://www.trampdrift.com
126 BIS Overheating
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 11:56:19 AM »
nope they dont run one
TrampDrift its for winners