Author Topic: Fiat lowering leaf spring  (Read 3987 times)

Fiat500f

Fiat lowering leaf spring
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:06:42 PM »
I've seen somewhere a post on lowering the front leaf spring by taking it part and rearranging the springs, does anyone no how to do this.

Pete126

• Administrator
Re: Fiat lowering leaf spring
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:51:13 AM »
 :welcome to the forum, If you remove a leaf from the front spring you will soften the suspension. 500mania do the reverse eye front spring for 63quid+postage it drops the front by 35mm, also you can shave 10mm off the alloy mounting bracket

http://www.500mania.it/ns/index.php/store_gbr/leaf-spring-5-leaves-revarsed-eye.html

Some members have had there springs re-tempered and flattened though this needs to be done by a professional spring re-manufacturer for safeties sake.
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 02:06:10 PM »
Apparently if you flip over the second largest (to the eye'd) leaf it will drop it loads but I am yet to try
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »
Apparently if you flip over the second largest (to the eye'd) leaf it will drop it loads but I am yet to try

I wouldn't recommend that method, the leaf above the main leaf is a safety leaf, it curves round the main spring eyes, if the eye or the main spring fracture or break the suspension is caught by the safety leaf to give you a fighting chance of stopping safely.

Even the modified reverse eye springs have a safety leaf, its there for a reason ;)

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 04:23:46 PM »
It must be the one below the safety leaf then, I haven't had a look at mine and I'm completely new to leaf spring suspension. Need to get my servicing out of the way then I can slam it to bits!
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 05:59:32 PM »
Another thing to consider is that the front spring is also the bottom control arm and "anti-roll bar" i use that term loosely ;D so is subjected to  high lateral forces Forward/Aft/Side especially under steering and braking etc.
 If you remove any of the leafs From the spring, you compromise the rigidity across the spring which will compromising the handling and safety of the car.

To achieve the kind off drop your after i would suggest having the spring re-tempered and fattened this seems to be the method used in Poland and retains all the leaf intact ;)

kev126

• Built not bought
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »
Another way is to apparently replace some of the leaves with stiffer ones from other cars, however I do not know which cars.
1989 Fiat 126 BIS

Fiat500f

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 08:23:14 PM »
I want it to be safe so might just get a lowered spring, thanks for the advice tho

popik81

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 10:15:31 PM »
if You now how to use google translator this is 4  You :)

http://www.rezerwa126p.pl/warsztat/warsztat-mechaniczny/122-obnianie

Topolino

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »
Lowering spring are sold in Holland for around 95,- Euro's. Sometimes you see them on Marktplaats.nl sold as second hand part. I bought one three weeks ago together with KONI Classics for aroud 100,- Euro. Shockers look good, oilfree and not rusty