Author Topic: 1964 Fiat 600D  (Read 788 times)

Amateb8

• Subscribers
1964 Fiat 600D
« on: July 08, 2023, 07:30:08 PM »
Sorry, this is not a Fiat 126 query.

My 1964 Fiat 600D consumes a lot of condensers. I drive the car rarely, but when I do, it drive extremely well. however, lately, when I drive it, it loses power and starts to backfire a bit. I then replace/change the condenser, it drive well again. But then, when I drive it again, it drives fine, and then it loses power etc. I replace the condenser, it drive well again. It seems to do to the same every time. What is wrong with it? Could it be the voltage regulator? Please help.

Minijohn

• Subscribers
Re: 1964 Fiat 600D
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 09:27:34 PM »
I don't know, but 2 things come to mind...

Do you have the correct coil fitted?
There are 2 types of coil - ballast and non-ballast.
If you have the wrong one then maybe it eats condensors.

Also, do you have the connections to the coil the correct way round.
I think the car will run if they're wrong but maybe that also would eat the condensor.

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 09:54:24 PM »
Hi Minijohn,
It has a built-in ballast resistor, I think. When I bought the coil from Ricambio some years ago, they asked the year of the car.

The car used to run extremely well, until recently. I don't drive the car frequently, but when I do, it starts with no issues. After driving it for a for a few minutes, it starts to lose power and backfires a bit. When I fit or replace the condenser, it drives well again. I need to fit a new condenser every time.

Does the coil need replacing?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 10:04:01 PM by Amateb8 »

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 11:44:23 PM »
Is there a plastic washer inside the distributor? Bolt for the condenser.

Minijohn

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 12:09:26 PM »
I don't know the answer to your last question but if you've had the same coil for "some years" (and it used to run fine) then maybe your coil is the problem.

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2023, 07:51:39 PM »
Is the coil an oil cooled one? I know that when they start to break down they will work until they get hot then you'll have ignition problems, and back firing etc....when it's cooled down it will work fine again until it warms up until it finally packs in.. I remember having the same issue when I had my old mini...in fact it backfired that bad it blew a hole in the exhaust. Soon as I put a new coil on problem solved....

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 10:28:39 PM »
I was advised to do this.

Quote:
Check the ignition coil also.Check the contact set on the distributor and check the bolt where condenser is connected with the wire from ignition coil.The bolt must be fitted with plastic washer inside the distributor, but he can't have contact with any metal part from the distributor.

Unquote:

I did not see a plastic washer.

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 09:07:18 PM »
I changed the ignition coil, and it seemed to cure the condenser issue. I drove it for an hour or two with no issues. Fingers crossed!

I initially didn't think it was the ignition coil that was causing the problem. It is relatively new. I changed it when the car was getting restored in 2016.

Many thanks for your advises.