Author Topic: my bis restoration  (Read 17476 times)

wsmitwil

Re: my bis restoration
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »

Cheers Andy and Gadge your information is much appreciated, I think I'll have to take it for a run to get it hot enough to get it to the right temp to see if the fan comes on

And I've taken the switch out and the white bit is missing, I'll take the tank off today and I'll try to find it

Cheers again

Will  :P
fiats forever

poxxxy

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 11:59:58 PM »
My bis fan kicks in at half way on the gauge... pretty much as soon as the thermostat actually opens (keep feeling the bottom rad hose... stays cold for quite a while at idle, holding rpm up higher helps but load on the engine will increase the temperatures quicker. There should be two speeds Gadge, so i'm wondering if yours is only operating on the "high speed", you can check the fan by bridging the pins on the coolant switch (which is on the far side of the rad) or applying 12v direct to it... the connector had snapped off on mine from corrosion... managed to come up with a solution as it was the ground pin that had broken off and the rivet that holds it all together inside was also ground... Had a spare connector from an aircooled condensor so managed to screw that into the rivet with a crimped "o" connector on the end and could plug the ground of the main power feed back in no problem!

Hope things with your float switch are getting better now!?

The bodywork on that lovely white bis looks great and that new carpet looks great too!

Only just stumbled upon this thread, been refurbishing the steels I bought from you the past few days! Going to get some paint on them tomorrow if the weather allows!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:08:58 AM by poxxxy »
My 1991/2 Fiat 126 BIS Restoration: http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8559.90

wsmitwil

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2014, 06:49:30 AM »
My bis fan kicks in at half way on the gauge... pretty much as soon as the thermostat actually opens (keep feeling the bottom rad hose... stays cold for quite a while at idle, holding rpm up higher helps but load on the engine will increase the temperatures quicker. There should be two speeds Gadge, so i'm wondering if yours is only operating on the "high speed", you can check the fan by bridging the pins on the coolant switch (which is on the far side of the rad) or applying 12v direct to it... the connector had snapped off on mine from corrosion... managed to come up with a solution as it was the ground pin that had broken off and the rivet that holds it all together inside was also ground... Had a spare connector from an aircooled condensor so managed to screw that into the rivet with a crimped "o" connector on the end and could plug the ground of the main power feed back in no problem!

Hope things with your float switch are getting better now!?

The bodywork on that lovely white bis looks great and that new carpet looks great too!

Only just stumbled upon this thread, been refurbishing the steels I bought from you the past few days! Going to get some paint on them tomorrow if the weather allows!

Cheers, I took the header tank to find allot of gunk and not one but two of those white floats, reconnected and the light has now gone off, not had a chance to take the car out yet just got to hope the fan comes on

Hope the wheels went ok

Cheers

Will  :)
fiats forever

wsmitwil

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2015, 06:17:09 PM »
Hello everyone haven't been on here for a while

Here's an update not much been going on, got a new 500 to go in the collection of 126s

On another note decided to take the engine out because it was annoying me as ive spent too much time on it, will take a proer look inside to see if there is anything badly wrong, on that, see the Pics of the gearbox below what on earth has happened here looks pretty bent

fiats forever

poxxxy

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2015, 06:47:30 PM »
Oh my that looks serious! Is your rear crank bearing shagged to? lol. I'd love a 500 myself still here! :). Pics required!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:51:02 PM by poxxxy »
My 1991/2 Fiat 126 BIS Restoration: http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8559.90

wsmitwil

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2015, 07:23:35 PM »
Hello, have had a small look at the fly wheel and it doesn't look too bad, the shaft is compleatly bent it moves from side to side when spinning,  :( the release bearing has been ripped apart so has the friction plate and the input shaft bearing is also compleatly gone, oil everywhere  :(

The drive is getting fuller  :P

fiats forever

poxxxy

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »
Oh they all look so clean and tidy, what engine is in that 500? twinair? :). I was imagining a classic but new isn't too bad either, other than those microsoft windows buttons I've seen on a few of the steering wheels for windows phones, urgh lol.

wsmitwil

« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2015, 06:53:40 AM »
Oh they all look so clean and tidy, what engine is in that 500? twinair? :). I was imagining a classic but new isn't too bad either, other than those microsoft windows buttons I've seen on a few of the steering wheels for windows phones, urgh lol.

Cheers the only prob is I'm starting to wash the paint away  :P, I couldent get a twin air so I got a 1.2 it was cheaper lol  ;D, still can't get my head around the steering wheel .. Not literally  :lol:
fiats forever

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »
That photo of the input shaft is shocking  :o it look on closer inspection that it has been re welded onto the spline?
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

wsmitwil

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
That photo of the input shaft is shocking  :o it look on closer inspection that it has been re welded onto the spline?

It was shocking gadge thankfully I had a spare shaft, engine is now in bits all over the place and it's in a state, bearings, seals, pilot bearing, clutch, the list is getting bigger I've found everything apart from one thing

Piston ring shaped thing is in many pieces and I can't find anything like it
fiats forever

dadandlad

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »
Have a look at this website or maybe try your local bearing supplier
http://www.morrissprings.co.uk/circlips.html
http://www.morrissprings.co.uk/Circlips.pdf