Author Topic: An extensive ground up serious restoration on a 126 personal  (Read 4401 times)

Rob 126 personal

An extensive ground up serious restoration on a 126 personal
« on: August 03, 2007, 05:10:06 AM »
Hi folks,

My name is Robert and I own a 650 personal made by mother Fiat. I just joined the forum and there are a lot of very interesting discussions and some very nice cars. I recently finished off the 1 year restoration on my 126. Car is practically NEW. I have posted a  step by step pictorial during the gruelling procedure ( well for me it was a walk in the park)  

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2638021

car is for sale, left hand drive though

More to come!

Robert

bis13

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 08:00:44 AM »
what a beauty , i take it you do this for a living? if not why do all this work to then sell it on? and if this vehicle is now for sale how much would it cost to purchase?

meuton

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 11:50:36 AM »
hi there

what a beautiful restoration and i just love the colour choice matched to the retrim teh little 126p looks fantastic glad to see somone investing the time and effort to make one of these perfect again

cheer Doug
Its slow but it does it in style !!

ger

• http://www.dropshots.com/ger
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 12:50:46 PM »
8000 euro...
---------------------------------
Gerry
(Near Glasgow, Scotland)

http://www.dropshots.com/ger
(500 all done MOT'd !)

meuton

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 01:56:13 PM »
I know Gerry

you think theres a market at that money?

cheers Doug
Its slow but it does it in style !!

bis13

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 05:30:54 PM »
the problem is if you buy this car at 8000 euros it will wind up being knocked about if used regulary and if its just put in a garage with a collection it is just a waste , i am glad i have my matt black spray the dirt away everyday driver . dont get me wrong its a beautifull car and top respect for the time and skill gone into this car but i would be frightened to drive it like i drive all my 126 s . robert if you can do one in matt blackl for around 500 quid i will supply the car!! :lol:

Rob 126 personal

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 07:35:31 PM »
Hey folks thanks for the compliments. Yes my trade is restoring vehicles and Italian cars are my passion. My love is the Fiat 124 coupe. Having 3 trades mechanics, auto body repair and refinishing makes is easy for me to start and finish any car. I am currently doing the same restoration on my 1968 Fiat 500 L and when completed it becomes for sale as well. Same high level of restoration, I am replacing all the outer metal body panels new and so on.

Bis 13, thanks for the compliments. I have too many cars in my garage that is why she is up for sale.! This has been my daily commuter for many years. Now that is has become a mint new beautiful little gem I wont dare park beside any other car, or have it sit outside in the baking sun and drive it in the rain are you kidding! You are correct the car now sits 23 hours a day in the garage.

Doug, thanks for the compliments as well the colour is a shade I made up from scratch. It’s between the original Fiat 500 light blue and the 126s dark blue. The clear coat combined with the acrylic urethane paint makes the car looks like plastic. A smooth jewel like gem. Exactly I have seen so many people spend lots of money on a 500 but the 126 has always been snobbed out. I have yet to see another 126 better example then this one, in Italy any way.

Has any body noticed any thing about the car that is not original? I have done quit a few modifications.

Robert

bis13

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 10:41:54 PM »
theres plenty of non original parts and trim but thats down to your own personal taste and requirements , some might detract and some might add to the overall character of the vehicle it depends how you look at it .
 like you said you have seen many 500 s restored , its now becoming the time for the 126 s turn as its getting to that age where it becomes neccessary to really go to town on the body before its too late . perhaps you have highlighted that it is a worthwhile task to do so by the results you have displayed  .