Author Topic: bolt on disc conversion  (Read 13427 times)

126dave

bolt on disc conversion
« on: April 11, 2006, 07:20:59 PM »
im looking to make my 126 stop a little better,i know of some of suppliers of disc brake conversions,but,are there any personal recomendations out there? (ps dont ask for pics when its done!)
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

hudsonhenry

• http://www.retro500.com
bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 07:36:24 PM »
Ruud in Holland does a good set which is very well priced, I have them fitted to my car and I have had no problems with them. He speaks perfect English and is a pleasure to deal with.

http://www.ruudsrugzakgarage.nl
http://www.retro500.com the site dedicated to modified Fiat 500's

PaulB

bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 11:14:20 PM »
I use Ruud's on my 500 - well priced and a breeze to fit. Double check endfloat and the punch on nut as one of mine was loose. Mine were 300 euro for the pair a few years ago- with that was new stub axles/king pins/bearings - a complete bargain.

126dave

bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 06:52:36 PM »
thanks guys,im in the process of ordering a set from Ruud..........much needed,the car is a lot quicker now...more so than i expected..........and the ''fast road'' cam coming soon will make it a bit quicker still......................... :cool:

126dave

bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 06:38:33 PM »
woo hoo!,brake kit coming first week of may...cant wait................and fast road cam order confirmed from gerstl............. :cool:

Bruce

bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 08:02:36 PM »
i rekon you more than anyone will need decent brakes, especially in conjuction with the other performance mods you have made/are making; you'll certainly need soemthing to stop you shooting of the end of the island :)

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 01:00:22 AM »
sounds wicked Dave, cam easy to fit?
you gotta get nsome pics for us of your engine!!!
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

126dave

bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 08:19:14 AM »
hi guys,yes Chris the cam is relativly easy to fit,im looking forward to seeing the improvement,
i mailed several companys about a suitible cam to go with the weber,super unleaded with added lead/octane boost, exhaust and panda head,gerstl came back with the most compelling item,after being quoted some fairly outragous prices for a complete 'built' engine i thought id give it a shot myself,
its fun seeing how it improves up the same steep and twisty hill i use every day,from a slow rolling start as i turn off the main road............it used to run out of breath in second at 25ish mph and then just hold that speed in third,now it winds up to 30+ in second and pulls to 45ish in third......on the flat it now runs to 60+ in third no problem....... :cool:
im going to take it to france when its done and see what the little car will do on a run down to renne.
Chris,did you get my mail about (eye watering/bxxl tightening) ferry prices to jersey? :shock:  and up loading some pics for me?

hudsonhenry

• http://www.retro500.com
bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 04:20:42 PM »
Dave

Have you lightened the flywheel and had the crank, flywheel, rods, pistons and clutch ballanced? If you change the cam and start revving the engine higher to make the most of it you will need to do this or it won't last for long.

I keep to a red line of around 6000rpm in my car with the odd blast to 6500, the engine would rev much higher but without a steel crank (lots of money) its not worth taking the chance. I saw one a couple of weeks ago that had borken clean in half because it had been taken over 7500!!! Lunched the rest of the engine as well!

Also I would reccomend fitting an oil cooler if you don't already have one, they start running very hot once you tune them and run them harder.
http://www.retro500.com the site dedicated to modified Fiat 500's

126dave

bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 08:14:49 PM »
hi,yes i know about the balencing issues,......i really do not want to go down that line,id rather give myself a lower red line and am happy to risk the motor,the prices i've been quoted for tuninig/balencing what really is just a small simple motor.well,they are just a joke,im going to go along as i am,if if blow the motor thats no problem,i'll just rebuiled or source another...........as for those prices i've been quoted,i can see why people go for bike engines etc.....but im going to persevere with mine.
thanks for the advice though,thats always appreciated.

i realised it would run hotter,but the bigger sump and opening rear deck do cool it alot,i keep it closed for start up and normal running and open it for my little hill climbs and the odd chase!.its handy to have it cockpit controlled

william

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 09:25:27 AM »
well used tryes stop the car quicker aswel because of the friction the more rubber the more ffriction
Chris Lakin's Nephew

gregs656

bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 11:52:49 AM »
'slick' tyres are illegal

not to mention dangerous as theres no way of dispercing the water on the road, which in this country and with the brakes on the little 126 - stupid.
The Hunt Continues. . .

Bruce

bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 04:00:44 PM »
new tyres allways work better than worn out old tyres, even part worn tyres are not as good as new. if worn tyres were better they would not put new tyres on racing cars to make them go faster :)

126dave

bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 05:30:47 PM »
eerr dont know how disc brakes got to tyres,but for what its worth,being a biker,i ALWAYS have the best ribbed rubber i can afford to put on........................... :cool:

PaulB

bolt on disc conversion
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 08:32:29 PM »
Yep, sorry William - I can see the logic of your argument, but think about shoes - which are more slippery - smooth flat soles or ones with tread?