Author Topic: luigi  (Read 65477 times)

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: luigi
« Reply #360 on: November 18, 2017, 04:18:56 PM »
New set of points fitted so with last weeks bad luck firmly behind me I met up with some other like minded fiat fans at the super sausage cafe in Northamptonshire. The weather was bad but worth the drive :thumbup

FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

drcdb15

« Reply #361 on: November 18, 2017, 07:32:24 PM »
New set of points fitted so with last weeks bad luck firmly behind me I met up with some other like minded fiat fans at the super sausage cafe in Northamptonshire. The weather was bad but worth the drive :thumbup

You know, Gadge, your car really does have the most charming cheeky little grin... you really ought to get some eyelashes for the headlights, would set it off a treat and make the world a better place at this dreary time of year  ;)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #362 on: February 11, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »
Spring is nearly here! So I’ve had a busy weekend preparing Luigi for this year’s 126 fun. In went a new set of plugs, leads, a brand new coil and a new fuel filter but what I was really looking forward to was fitting my new bumper bars/nudge bars (not actually sure what their official name is) but the pictures below them in all their glory :) I’ve been after a set of these for ages so when they turned up on a well known auction site I had to have them! New old stock as well :D

The rears are actually upside down as if I had them the correct way up the larger part would interfere with the rear fog and reverse lamps. I nearly had some better outside photos but it started to rain so I’ll take some better ones another day

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #363 on: February 15, 2018, 06:30:35 PM »
The servicing continued today. I got home from work early so decided to do an oil change. I had already cleaned the oil filter out when I had the rear panel off last weekend fitting those nudge bars so it all made sense. At the last oil change I fitted one of these GOLD MAGNETIC sump plugs.

These nifty plugs feature what they say is the most powerful grade of magnet for there size to capture any metal particles swimming around in the sump. They’re not cheap - about £18 - but it’s well worth it. The amount of crud picked up by this plug after only about 1500 Miles was astounding!

Doing an oil change on a 126 is a very satisfying job to do given how simple it is to carry out but this change was a little different. Last Year I happened to find by chance an unopened 5 litre tin (metal tin! Like in the old days!) of ESSO super lube 15w40 multi grade oil at an auto jumble. The oils specifications were one grade better than  that quoted in the handbook. He only wanted a tenner so I bought it. I later did an internet search on oil specs and worked out that that particular oil spec upgraded the older one around the early 90’s so this tin and its contents was made not long after my car was built so I’m now using an oil blend that’s the closest to what they used in their day - free from modern day additives which have replaced some of the older additives that have since been made obsolete due to environmental reasons......... I love the tin too! :D

2.2 litres in which means I have another ESSO superlube oil change (straight from the tin like good ole days) in the bank for another day. After 15 minute run on tick over the oil was lovely and clear :thumbup
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:41:12 PM by Gadge »

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #364 on: February 15, 2018, 10:59:55 PM »
nice little idea that I have purchased one for my supercharged engine! love the overriders they look cool!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:03:44 PM by stuey »
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #365 on: February 17, 2018, 07:15:07 PM »
And so the oil changes continue! This time it was on the gearbox. No fancy retro old oil tin this time though. The reason for the change was that a while ago i drained and refilled with proper 80w90 gear oil but was never happy with the feel of the gear change so have opted for good old 20w50 engine oil by comma. So out with the ramps.

Also the first proper look at those nudge bars. I think they look great!

And finally! Ready for the show season I’ve bought these super cool vintage suitcases and covered them in retro travel stickers and a retro radio! Awesome :D

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Reply #366 on: February 24, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »
Thank you for the great car, Gadge!

It is inspirational for the whole community. :)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #367 on: March 30, 2018, 09:53:34 AM »
I’ve been brave and bought a rear spoiler for Luigi. It’s really for the air cooled versions but you can just about get away with it on the BIS. Quite pleased with it but would probably look better with the alloys on.

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #368 on: March 30, 2018, 12:22:21 PM »
I’ve been waiting for you to post that since I saw it on Facebook where the hell did you get that? I really want one! Look awesome btw 😎
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #369 on: March 30, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »
I got from eBay - £38 so didn’t break the bank either. There’s one on there now stuey :thumbup

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #370 on: May 06, 2018, 07:39:56 AM »
Took Luigi down to Brooklands Autoitalia yesterday and he ran beautifully! :D  despite the warm temperatures of the day he didn’t miss a beat and only a stone chip to the front panel dampened what turned out to be a fantastic packed out weekend in the sun.

There must have been nearly 1500 cars from Fiats to Ferraris and everything in between but Luigi was the only fully complete 126 there which I was surprised at (the other 126 was great mate Dom booths but it was a rolling shell) so really was quite unique

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #371 on: August 02, 2018, 09:54:09 PM »
I’ve not been happy with my front suspension just lately. I’ve been noticing that the ride has been lumpy, it pulls to one side and when I drive over a bump or manhole cover it jumps and bounces all over the place. The last problem could potentially be dangerous so it was time for a rebuild and some modifications. A bit of research into 126 front suspension revealed that if you lower it, it causes the top arm to pull the top of the wheel in every time it goes over a bump which in turn pivots the whole hub on the steering arm making it turn the wheel slightly. This was demonstrated beautifully on a YouTube clip when someone simply bounced on the front of a lowered 126 wing and watching the wheel move in and out. To get round this problem I needed a pair of these

These bolt on to where the top arm would normally bolt to and the arm then bolts to the studs effectively moving the arms fixing points 2 inches higher. This returns the arm to more of a  factory setting. I was curious so hastily fitted them but found that they didn’t quite fit nicely. It must be a BIS thing but I found the bodywork around the bumpstop got in the way of it fitting flushly. Also by returning the arm to a factory setting you get more positive camber. I also discovered that the top arm bushes were knackered and the pads weren’t sitting squarely in the calliper.

Despite the poor fit the road test was a great success and the handling was greatly improved. The poor fit and the other issues were bothering me though so after a bit of thought I decided to rebuild the whole front suspension and modify the new brackets so they fit better.

Parts back from the powder coaters

To get a more neutral camber I machined the mounting pins on a miller.....

......and then shims will be added later to balance each side out. The brackets needed to be ground on the edges so the arm doesn’t fowl it (not pictured)

And the end result. New bushes fitted discs skimmed and I painted the calipers red. Over the next few days I adjusted the camber using a magnetic camber gauge and using the above shins I got the camber to 0.25 of a degree of each side which I set at about 0.75 positive. Next up the tracking

My first check showed it was at 8mm toe in (factory setting is 2-6mm). After two more goes I got it to 35’ (minutes) which is about 4mm so happy with that. If you are thinking of doing this then it’s well worth doing if you don’t mind having to rework a few things. The end result is much improved handling and a better (and safer!) ride :)

nunohflima

• Instagram
« Reply #372 on: August 09, 2018, 11:45:23 AM »
Hi Gadge!
Congrats for the project!!
I am from Portugal and I have a 126 of 74 "and wanted to convert from 4x190 to 4x98. Is it possible to use the braking of the fiat 127 from the first series? If not, what parts of what car did you use to do the conversion?

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #373 on: August 09, 2018, 01:03:41 PM »
Hi it probably is possible to use 127 calipers if you have the right adapter plate. I used a cinquecento/seicento/Punto calliper set up which is widely available and is what most people use when doing this conversion. You can either buy the whole kit with calipers, discs and adapter plates or just the adapter plates and just source some good second hand calipers yourself :thumbup

126Simon

• Subscribers
« Reply #374 on: August 09, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »
Just read this from start to finish your car looks fantastic!!

I love those steel wheels, are they standard Bis wheels or something different?

Simon