Author Topic: luigi  (Read 65478 times)

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: luigi II
« Reply #315 on: March 01, 2017, 08:25:50 PM »
Ok small update. Last year I bought them from a member from Halifax (my apologies I can't remember the members name). They're cromodoras and were once fitted to early 80's alfas probably a sud. I bought them despite already owning a set of speedlines which I bought not long before because A, they were a good price and B, I thought they would look awesome on Luigi so I picked them up and put them in the shed until my to do list got shorter and I was able to give them some attention.

So the other week I decided that the time was right to give them a spruce up and sent them off to be chemically dipped and resprayed in silver. The old tyres will be sold on as they are still very good just the wrong size and a new set of 165 55s will hopefully be going on very soon :thumbup

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:23:35 PM by Gadge »
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #316 on: March 01, 2017, 09:48:50 PM »
Gadge, I have a set of these with 165 x 55,s on my Gamine, they look very period and great.

Ralph

1973/126

« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2017, 08:06:39 AM »

Gadge the wheels look great.
 Have you actually tried them on the car? I`ve had a problem with the offset of these on the back of a 126.

1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2017, 10:23:58 AM »
Not tried them on yet what was the issue? Were the sticking out too much?

1973/126

« Reply #319 on: March 02, 2017, 10:30:13 AM »
 There wasn`t enough clearance and they were touching the rear arms. Once I have spaced them out, they were too far out. My car was lowered a bit which probably didn`t help, so I gave up on them at the end.
 Not sure if they came in different offsets though.
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #320 on: March 02, 2017, 06:10:09 PM »
Ok so I got home from work today and headed straight for the garage and whipped the old rear wheel off and just as you say 1973/126 the rim does touch BUT it's not the suspension arm it touches it's the inner wheel arch.

So this is what I found out. I dug out and old 6mm spacer and fitted the alloy on and lowered it on a block of wood and let it settle. With the 6mm spacer the wheel just starts to rub. So I did a bit of measuring with a straight edge and worked out that from the edge of the rim to the lip of the wheel arch is 15mm - that's including the 6mm spacer so in theory a 15mm spacer should make the inner rim miss the inner arch and still be within the lip of the wheel arch

So with a bit of luck I may well get away with this hiccup

1973/126

« Reply #321 on: March 02, 2017, 06:30:25 PM »
 Couldn`t remember where they were rubbing but I know they were rubbing somewhere. I used some pretty thick alloy spacers at the end and long bolts, but the wheel started coming out a bit further than I wanted.
 You might be able to get away with these wheels and some stretched tyres.
 You`ll also have to think about the camber under load and make sure there is enough clearance.
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #322 on: March 03, 2017, 09:41:39 AM »
Gadge, they fit on the Gamine fine no rubbing at the rear, I did have a slight problem with rubbing on full lock at the rear of the front inner wheel arch, this was remedied by a bit of gentle panel beating local to the area being rubbed. The Gamine has the same inner arches as the 500 this might be how they fit OK at the rear.

Ralph

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #323 on: March 03, 2017, 11:17:35 AM »
Thanks guys the info is well appreciated :) although there is contact at the rear it can be remedied - by that I mean the wheel can be moved away from the affected area easily it's just whether the tyre will clear as I have not had any tyres fitted yet but quietly confident. I haven't tried them on the front yet but will do tomorrow so I will post my findings :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:12:07 PM by Gadge »

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #324 on: March 05, 2017, 02:32:59 PM »
Ok so spent yesterday and today going over things with the wheel and also sorting a few other jobs out. I pulled him out the garage and jacked one side up and whipped both wheels off (one front one rear) to see what's what. The fronts don't appear to need much fettling with the wheel appearing to miss both the shock and the rest of the suspension on either lock. Obviously without a tyre on and with the hub hanging down its hard to judge whether there will be any contact but It's quite a big arch under their so I'm reasonably happy there. It also doesn't appear to need a spacer. I had another good look at the rear and tried one on with a 20mm spacer and it seemed to bring the wheel out more than anough to clear the inner arch. So with that I've ordered a pair of sparco 16mm spacers and some extra long alloy wheel bolts to go with them. The only thing left to do is get some tyres fitted and cross my fingers as it's the only way to find out for sure  :-X

In other news I installed my gauges to the bottom of the centre console. Their not plumbed in yet but they do look great me thinks.

I've also sorted out a common and unsightly problem regarding faded dash switches. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's dash switches look like a grey dulux paint chart so I bought some satin black vinyl wrap and switch symbol sticker sheet and wrapped them and I was very pleased with the result. The satin is pretty much an exact match for the rest of the plastic and blends in very well. Well worth doing if you've got an hour spare :)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 02:48:54 PM by Gadge »

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: March 05, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »
Nice job Gadge :good:
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #326 on: March 05, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »
Thank you pete  :D

DeVilleChris

• Club 126 UK
« Reply #327 on: March 09, 2017, 12:23:10 PM »
It was meeeeee!:D
1979 Fiat 126 DeVille
1979 Fiat 900T Amigo

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #328 on: March 09, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »
It was meeeeee!:D

Ahh yes! Now I remember what do you think of the wheels mate :thumbup

Xylaquin

« Reply #329 on: March 09, 2017, 06:00:35 PM »
How do you find the sound system at speed?

and when are you going to install a 5th gear... we need a guinea pig to document installation for the rest of us  :P