Author Topic: luigi  (Read 68034 times)

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: luigi II
« Reply #300 on: December 08, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
One side looks great it's just the other. It's not helped by the fact there's no obvious way to fit them  :(
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

drcdb15

« Reply #301 on: December 08, 2016, 09:23:48 PM »
there's no obvious way to fit them  :(

Could it be they're meant to be bonded in place with a sealant or adhesive? That would presumably make water ingress to the boot area lea likely.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #302 on: December 08, 2016, 09:31:42 PM »
there's no obvious way to fit them  :(

Could it be they're meant to be bonded in place with a sealant or adhesive? That would presumably make water ingress to the boot area lea likely.

I tried fixing them in place before refitting the headlights but you can't push the headlight though the hole

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #303 on: December 08, 2016, 09:44:01 PM »
You've not got it the wrong way round ;D
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

drcdb15

« Reply #304 on: December 08, 2016, 10:57:10 PM »
Have you looked at Google images? A bit like ebay, you can find ANYTHING on Google Images!

I searched on "Fiat 126 headlamp" and found these three pix. It looks like there are at least two different screw-fixing options.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #305 on: December 09, 2016, 09:12:51 AM »
I have the ones in the middle picture. Those tabs allude to nothing about how they attach  ::) it looks like you screw them into the sides of the inner plastic covers but you wouldn't be able to push the head light back in after you did that?? So in the end I bent one of the tabs by 90 degrees and fixed it with the push tab that holds the plastic in and the other is just loose so would probably pop out as soon as I drive it

drcdb15

« Reply #306 on: December 09, 2016, 02:50:18 PM »
I am reminded of the long debate on here about the number of splines on the steering column versus the number on the steering wheel boss, and the mystery was finally solved with the explanation that Fiat had raided the Seicento (was it? can't rightly recall, but it certainly wasn't a 126) parts bin...

I wonder if what you have is parts from 4 different 126 variants, ie bodyshell from 126 model 1, headlamp bowls (ie the black plastic bowls the glass unit sits in) from variant 2, headlamps (ie the glass units with the bulbs inside) from variant 3 and the surround trims (the bits you re trying to fit) from variant 4.

That would explain why the holes/tabs/lugs etc on the surround don't seem to have any obvious correlation with the other parts you are trying to attach them to, and why the glass unit will not "fit through the hole".

If that is correct, then all you need to do is identify and get the correct surrounds for your particular bodyshell/headlamp bowl...  a simple task, shouldn't take more than about... oh, maybe 30 years !!!  :P  (actually, I rather think it's time to reach for the sealant gun!). Good luck !

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #307 on: December 09, 2016, 05:18:18 PM »
Sealant gun or a pop rivet set is looking good right now  :P

Xylaquin

« Reply #308 on: December 10, 2016, 08:44:32 AM »
I'm pretty sure the glass isn't meant to fit through surround, otherwise it wouldn't really be a good covering!

How about this:

1. Bend the metal parts perpendicular to the front of the trim
2. Remove the light unit and fit the surround onto the front of it
3. Bend the metal parts to the angle of the side of the light
4. Take a cable tie and loop it through each end of the metal tabs, then tighten it so that it pulls the surround against the light unit, make sure it's secure but not in the way of the light contacts!
5. Cut off any excess cable tie and fit the light unit back into the socket

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #309 on: December 10, 2016, 01:33:52 PM »
That's a pretty good suggestion xylaquin so I went into the garage to see what could be done and was greeted - rather unsurprisingly - to one of the surrounds peeling away so I started again. Out came the headlight and pretty much did what you suggested xylaquin fitted the surrounds onto the light whilst it was on the bench  and bent the tabs around the lip of the seal where the lens joins the casing. With this done it was pretty secure and may have been good enough but I wasn't taking any chances so I tied them up using welding wire.

Fitting them in was just a matter of pushing the head lamp back in. In fact I can't believe I didn't do it like this in the first place! They are solid and well secure. They still don't quite fit flush in some areas aiding to the above theory of them not being for this model however very pleased :)

drcdb15

« Reply #310 on: December 10, 2016, 10:52:12 PM »
Seeing those pictures and how easily you could form the shape of the tabs I strongly suspect these *are* the correct surrounds for your car. The tabs would be shipped flat for ease of packaging, and the fact that if they were pre-shaped they'd have to be opened out a bit anyway to fit - so why not have them flat, and minimise packaging/shipping issues and bend to fit on site. After all, how often will they ever be moved after installation? On a typical car probably no more than once or twice in the life of the car.

That then leaves the matter of the flushness of the fit. Generally trim parts like these will be injection moulded, and the final product will contain a fair amount of moulded-in strain. Particularly over the long time period for these old parts, this strain will cause deformation of the plastic, resulting in less than perfect fit. Even when new the two sides were most likely never perfect mirror images, and neither will be your bodyshell around the headlamp holes.

Many years ago I was in a crash when the entire car bodyshell was bent. To my surprise, rather than write it off the insurer had all the trim parts stripped off and fitted to a new bodyshell. Of course, virtually none of the parts ever fitted entirely properly, and the 'new' car was for ever creaking as the various trim parts flexed and moved and twisted. It was a disaster from the point of view of getting a good fit. Fortunately for me it was a company car, and the crash not my fault, so I wasn't bothered too much. But it demonstrated perfectly how plastic trims 'settle' into place, and don't like being disturbed.

shielsy

« Reply #311 on: December 11, 2016, 10:51:19 PM »
looking good

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #312 on: January 22, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
Out and about for the first time in 2017 :)

jonny126

« Reply #313 on: January 24, 2017, 08:54:41 PM »
That sits so well. Absolutely gorgeous.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #314 on: February 18, 2017, 03:29:24 PM »
Fitted nice new brembos today as the old cross drilled ones were starting to look very ropey. I think sitting in a garage for nearly a year took its toll on them as they were very pitted. I thought driving around for a few months would clean them up but it wasn't to be so I bought these and a new fitting kit too (springs and a new pin) :)