Author Topic: luigi  (Read 65638 times)

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: luigi II
« Reply #285 on: October 31, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
All legal for another years worth of shows :)

FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #286 on: October 31, 2016, 07:18:27 PM »
Wrap it up for winter now ;D
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #287 on: November 05, 2016, 07:15:03 PM »
Wrap it up for winter now ;D

Will do, I bought a cover :D in the mean time I replaced the speedo cable, put some extra grease in the kingpins and reset the timing and fuel mixture. He now runs like a sewing machine :)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #288 on: November 10, 2016, 06:52:42 PM »
Luigis first outing after his rebuild - the NEC classic car show :)

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #289 on: November 10, 2016, 08:23:03 PM »
Looks great Gadge, Have a great weekend :)
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Amateb8

« Reply #290 on: November 12, 2016, 01:22:37 PM »
I went through the first to the last thread, like reading a very interesting novel. You have done an amazing job with the car, and that is an understatement. I'd love to see your car in the flesh!! Well done!!!!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #291 on: November 13, 2016, 09:08:12 AM »
Thanks guys :thumbup Amateb8 it makes an interesting read doesn't it :D I looked through it last night and I forgotten I had done a lot of the stuff I did. I set to build what I would see as the ultimate 126BIS by trying out new ideas but it was becoming apparent that there was not a lot of info in terms of modification where as the air cooled version was very well catered for. I had a feeling that there were many mods that could be carried over but no one had tried yet so I thought that this was the time to do it. I had the money and I very much doubt I'll ever do one again so I set about creating a well sorted car and no stone was left unturned. Body work was carefully modified to give it a less cluttered look, early type items were used in place of the later items (just personal tastes) and mechanical modifications were chosen to not only improve reliability such as waterless coolant, CV type tripods electric fuel pump but also safety like the disc brake conversion rear inertia seat belts. Also some myths were put to bed such as fitting sports adjustable shocks which were thought to be almost impossible Because hardly anyone makes them or using a "big valve head" off a cinquecento and of course modifying a 500 giardinirea sports exhaust to fit when sports exhausts simply don't exist. Some items such as the vinyl interior weren't a straight fit but with a little time and some work it is possible if you really want to. I learnt over the years that BIS owners don't have to be restricted because of lack of dedicated tuning or modifying or styling parts around.

Getting it to the NEC classic car show was a big deal for me. I've always wanted to restore a car and show it there and I finally achieved it and the response was amazing! People loved it and lots of people (and journalists) have been asking questions and taking pictures and everyone smiles at it. It's been a real buzz! And it makes all those bleeding knuckles moments worth it. There's still some work to do - I ran out of time to do the headlining, there's a leak on the rear window, alloys to restore and fit and there's that question on whether or not to bite the bullet and fit a 5 speed gearbox. So I'm not done yet :D

Xylaquin

« Reply #292 on: November 13, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »
with all the tuning I see no reason that it won't benefit from a 5th gear.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #293 on: November 13, 2016, 08:18:35 PM »
with all the tuning I see no reason that it won't benefit from a 5th gear.

It's my bank account I'm worried about  :P

Xylaquin

« Reply #294 on: November 13, 2016, 09:08:32 PM »
Is there a woman in your life Gadge? You could flutter your eyelids and casually say "gee I hope there's a gearbox-kit-shaped stocking over my fireplace this Christmas"

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #295 on: November 13, 2016, 09:21:07 PM »
Is there a woman in your life Gadge? You could flutter your eyelids and casually say "gee I hope there's a gearbox-kit-shaped stocking over my fireplace this Christmas"

Yes there is a woman and no my eyelids have been well and truly fluttered to maximum effect this year already :D

1973/126

« Reply #296 on: November 14, 2016, 07:28:05 AM »
 You`ve done a great job Gadge. This is a lovely looking Bis. I really like the simple and clean retro look 8).

What sort of alloys are you fitting?

1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #297 on: November 14, 2016, 08:24:34 AM »
Thank you :thumbup I've got some lovely speedlines from an X 1/9 (the ones with the polished face and the little round holes). My dad is currently re-polishing them to a mirror finish then I'm going for either a gloss black or anthracite colour. I'll be fitting 145 tyres to those. I've also acquired some really smart cromodoras off an alfasud so I'm also going to get them refurbished too and fit 165s on them. So I'll just keep swapping them over whenever the mood suits :)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #298 on: December 08, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »
Had a day off today so thought I'ld have a go at fitting these rubber headlight surrounds. With no fitting instructions and no way of working out how they fit (or which way around they go) I basically had to guess so removed both headlights and fitted them as best I could. I'm not 100% happy with how they fit but with a bit more Fettling I think they'll look good - incidentally I still don't know if I have them the right way around.

Xylaquin

« Reply #299 on: December 08, 2016, 07:36:47 PM »
I took a stanley knife to mine so that they'd fit into the shape of the "eye socket" so to speak. However gave up eventually, reasoning that they're too stiff and don't look that great anyway!

Perhaps you could try the other type of protectors