Author Topic: luigi  (Read 65641 times)

Bambino126

Re: luigi II
« Reply #255 on: July 16, 2016, 05:02:11 PM »
WOW!!!
Your fabrications skills have no boundaries.
Your modifications always look so "Original Fiat"..... A person who didn't know 126's wouldn't know they didn't come like that.

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #256 on: July 16, 2016, 06:17:47 PM »
that's a great idea- I might have to pinch that (for a small fee!)
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #257 on: July 16, 2016, 09:53:09 PM »
Thanks guys  :D it's starting to take shape  ;)

Stuey, it's definatly a worth while mod. It takes a bit of fettling to get the angle and the position right so that it clears all the heater assembly, jack and the bonnet but it's surprising how big a wheel you can fit under there!
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: July 16, 2016, 11:24:01 PM »
Great work Gadge but where are you going to put your sandwicheson a serious note why do you need to do that when you can use the original 126 wheel in the wheel well, this strengthens the front end in case of a front end collision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #259 on: July 17, 2016, 09:15:51 AM »
The sandwiches will have to go on the back seat  ;D

I can't get the original 135 wheel into the spare wheel well because of the new extended master cylinder cover. It sticks out too much on the RHD cars so I can't squeeze the wheel past the cover and the jack holder. It's not an ideal solution perhaps maybe I can cut a hole in the old cover to clear the new master cylinder? I made the new adaptor so it could be bolted in and removed (as opposed to just welding it straight on) so that if a solution came about I could revert to the original set up.

The other reason is that I have 5 speedline alloys which won't fit in the wheel well anyway so this way it keeps everything all matching

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #260 on: July 17, 2016, 02:42:53 PM »
more work done today. I bought this lovely period halfords washer bottle kit. This is a genuine early 1960's item which came with a hand operated water pump! Fortunately I've bought an electric Lucas washer pump and installed it on the inner wing where the washer bag went.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: July 17, 2016, 10:18:10 PM »
Aren't any of the fiat space saver wheels narrower?
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #262 on: July 18, 2016, 06:15:24 AM »
Not sure pete. The seicento uses 135 70 spaces savers - the same as a standard 126 BIS tyre so unless they do a 125 size?

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #263 on: August 06, 2016, 04:51:28 PM »
Getting ready for paint :)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #264 on: August 24, 2016, 06:28:37 PM »
So an update. I have finally found a body shop willing to do the work and, more importantly, can do it in time for me to put it back together ready for the NEC classic car show in November. A date (or a price) has not been agreed just yet but its looking good for the job so fingers crossed for a great result. In the mean time I have been down to the powder coaters and picked up the radiator guard and the crankcase cover that I dropped in and I've been busy rubbing and sanding all the bodywork down so the body shop has less work to do.

One of the last places I rubbed back was the area around the coolant tank cap. It seemed to have a rubbery texture to it around the cap. A quick prod with a screw driver revealed that the entire area on the right side was made of silicone sealant. What lay beneath was rotten bodywork showing that you really can't trust some cars.

Unfortunately there's only one real way to sort this - the last owner seemingly chose not to do it when he was faced with this dilemma - was to weld in good metal. Not an easy job given all those curves but with patience it's amazing what can be achieved.

Ground back with a skim of filler and job done. All in all 3 hours work but well worth it :thumbup

I've been buying parts in a flurry ready to fit to the car when it returns from the body shop - new badges, door mirrors (x2 this time) and other things as well as sorting some of the wiring out prior to refitting the carpert. I also bought some splendid veglia gauges to go under the stereo consol so I'll get the wires all down ready :)

mintex

« Reply #265 on: September 02, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »
Nice job with the water bottle, the standard bag idea is pants lol.

Going to look good when it's finished mate  :good:
Dave

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #266 on: September 03, 2016, 09:05:37 AM »
Thanks Dave the bottle is definatly one of those touches that will make the car special. Plus it now with the removal of the colestomy bags in the inner wings I now have have tool storage :thumbup

Yoshimisumi

« Reply #267 on: September 11, 2016, 09:37:04 PM »
What door mirrors have you gone for? The low profile metal type are looking top of my list at the mo.

shielsy

« Reply #268 on: September 12, 2016, 12:02:11 AM »
 :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:43:28 AM by shielsy »

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #269 on: September 12, 2016, 12:17:54 PM »
What door mirrors have you gone for? The low profile metal type are looking top of my list at the mo.

The mirrors were a subject of great debate in my mind and I must have bought no less the three different sorts over the last few months and couldn't make my mind up so went for a pair of brand new plastic ones that were standard issue for a few fiat models in the 70's. If some nice chrome ones turn up I'll could always buy them later on