Author Topic: luigi  (Read 68032 times)

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: luigi II
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 07:04:22 PM »
Well it was a very busy weekend and it all stated with me refitting the gearbox onto the engine

Just before refitting the engine I modified the tip of the exhaust. Anyone who's owned a BIS and fitted chrome bumpers will know that the exhaust tip sticks out at a funny angle so I cut it off and welded a small 90 degree bend on from a scrap exhaust I had

Then I refitted the engine and after a couple of hours grafting I had a running engine again :D the only issue I have is the exhaust is blowing at the head end - I suspect I haven't alined the brackets so the exhaust isn't sitting true to the head.

And here's the modified exhaust tip

FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

jonny126

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »
Blimey thats a tiday engine bay! Nice work!

Your fuel filter is in a different position to mine. Are they both feed lines from the tank or is one a return? I may have put mine on the wrong line . . .

andyzeetec

• 126 BIS
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2014, 11:13:34 PM »
Great job, looks like new.  :good:

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 07:12:04 AM »
Thanks guys  :D a needs some fettling

Blimey thats a tiday engine bay! Nice work!

Your fuel filter is in a different position to mine. Are they both feed lines from the tank or is one a return? I may have put mine on the wrong line . . .

It may be that mine is a different make to yours. When I installed the engine I plumbed them the wrong way round and the fuel filter didn't fill up and the engine didn't run. Once swapped around it filled up and it ran.

jonny126

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »
Ah ok, mine fills up and runs, so I guess its all ok ha ha!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
Reasonably successful road test today, there's still a few niggles - the handbrake cable needs adjusting, the accelerator cable also needs adjusting but I fixed the blowing exhaust so to celebrate I gave it a wash  :D

I think the modified exhaust tip looks good too  :)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »
From Didcot with love  :D

Kowalski

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »

Loads of character beside run-of-the-mill fiats (or Fca as they call themselves now)!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2014, 07:02:20 AM »
Yes indeed plenty of character. Look how small he is compared to the relitivly small 500 next to it  :D

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »
Little bit more work done, I stripped the doors down and fitted some NOS parts such as new window mechanisms, latches and chrome trim surrounds too. The passenger side quarter window frame turned out to be wasted but luckily I had a decent spare in my stash which was rust proofed and painted - the one on the left is the old one and the right one is the useable spare.

Once that was sorted I liberally applied some waxoil down the door bottoms replaced the broken plastic side strip from my stash and fitted it all back together  :D

Then I moved onto the front suspension. And despite having a reverse eye leaf spring fitted I just thought is wasn't low enough so I bought some of these from axel gersil........

The one on the left is the new cut down version and is about 9mm shorter than the originals (on the right)

After the usual trouble of the old blocks welding themselves to the studs (lashings of heat dealt with that) the new ones were fitted and this is the result. Much nicer  ;D

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 09:08:59 PM »
More news! After a long 270 mile round trip I acquired a vinyl interior! It was very grubby and the frames were past it so I dug out a spare set (as you do) which had  decent frames and stripped both sets down and swapped them over.

I also ordered a new carpet as my old one was manky as hell. It's a one piece sort and was a bit fidley to fit. I had to cut holes for the accelerator pedal and seat belt anchors.

I then stripped out the old interior and fitted it all up. I'm well pleased with it and think it gives it that retro look :D

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:11:31 PM by Gadge »

Mics126

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 10:17:09 PM »
stunning looking car, keep up the hard work.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2014, 10:22:08 PM »
Thanks mics it's coming on nicely   ;D

Here's a pic from Stanford hall

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2014, 09:53:59 PM »
I've had a funny issue this week with luigi.  He was ticking over very rough indeed but was fine at normal speeds so I turned the dizzy a little clockwise and it ticked over beautifully but sputtered all the way up the rev range. I took the cap off whilst it was running and see the vacuum mechanism working fine and the points were gapped right aswell. The only thing that caught my attention was that I could hear a metallic clattering sound. So I quickly guessed I had a duff distributor. Luckily in my Aladdin's cave of 126 parts I had a spare so I whipped the old one out and refitted the spare. Once timed up it fired up straight away ticked over lovely once more the on the test drive it overall pace of the car has picked up so much! It seems to accelerate a and pull so much better. It's amazing what a properly set up ignition can do for a car :D

Has anyone else suffered their distributor failing like this before? I haven't taken it apart yet but It seems like something inside like the weights have come away or something? Is this a common zelmot issue? I have thought about buying a marelli one as buying points seems easier and perhaps there made better?

poxxxy

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2014, 02:51:02 PM »
Damn... that is a nice car Gadge :). Reminiscent of what i'd love mine to turn out like... if I ever get to the bottom of the engine hell! Been thinking about painting my block etc before reassembly and definately sealed the deal... but what colour!

If you ever want to sell that car... let me know. I love the color :). The vinyl interiors are also quite nice and retro!

Subscribed :)
My 1991/2 Fiat 126 BIS Restoration: http://club126uk.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=8559.90