Author Topic: luigi  (Read 65615 times)

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: luigi II
« Reply #345 on: May 11, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »
Never mind mate there's always next year. I like that photo too - I wished I'ld turned it so it was facing the camera though would've looked cool facing the same way all those old pre war racers did back in the day :)
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #346 on: August 06, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »
Getting ready for festiva italia - cleaned out the rear brakes (o/s shoes were sticky so glad I did this) repainted the drums, fitted a new distributor and starter motor, changed the gearbox oil and cured a few leaks. Front king pins are gonna get greased next and then I'm good to go :)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #347 on: September 10, 2017, 09:47:37 PM »
This weekend I decided to tackle a job that's been on the "to do" list since I first picked up Luigi way back in February 2013. Indeed it was the first job I ever did to it when I got it home. It's something a lot of 126 owners have had to deal with at some point and that job is replacing the headlining. Mine, like many others had the dreaded "saggy lining" and I remember very well driving the 150 odd miles with the roof lining draped over my head (hence why I ripped it all out as soon as I got home). It's always been a job I wanted to do in time and I decided this weekend it was time. I already had the materials ready just needed to do it so here's what I did :)

First I started with my board which was hard board the sort you buy from a DIY store with a shiny surface one side and a textured surface on the other (this choice of board would bite me in the bum later)

This was then trimmed down to size which took some time as it involved cutting pieces off and inserting it into the car until I got my desired size (I ended up cutting too much off the back so had to glue some back on DOH!) this was a fiddle going in and out the car every 2 mins and in retrospect a cardboard template would've been better but I don't have cardboard that big so I did it the hard way.

Next job was to lay out the lining material. This very satisfying job just involved cutting it approximately the right size and spraying a six inch wide strip of contact adhesive on the board and just rolled on the material spraying another six inches until I reach the other end. The edges were folded over and tidied up.

I had some foam knocking about so I stuck some on the topside (Roof side) to help with sound deadening. I rolled the edges over on the sides of the material to help it follow the contours of the roof line edge inside the car.

Once it was all fitted it looked great however here's were my choice of board bit me in the bum. It fits in lovely at the front as it slides in a gap just above the sun visors but at the rear it's only held in with three screws and with no support in the middle which meant the weight of the board made it hang down just above the rear seats :(

although it still looked better than bare metal I just wasn't happy so after some thought the solution was simple. I cut two small pieces of wood and shaped them and covered them in headlining material from an offcut and slid them in at the edges just above the doors and they did the trick in raising the board up and supporting it :thumbup

I was on a roll so I looked at tidying the inside of the boot lid up. These three holes always looked like there should have been something covering them only there never was so..... 

I cut these out of some offcut hardboard, stuck some offcut headlining on one side then wrapped the whole lot up in black vinyl I acquired off the internet for a fiver and glued it all up at the back.

Two holes were drilled in the corners and they then screwed into place. Job done and to top it off I fitted a pull handle - in red to match the seat belts - to the right.

Very happy with the result and I'm hoping for slightly quieter drive now the headlining finally in :thumbup

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #348 on: September 11, 2017, 11:02:45 PM »
Some nice work there I dont have a headliner (or an interior) but do intend on doing something to cover the holes in the rear lid like you've done. tidy! :D
one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: luigi
« Reply #349 on: October 08, 2017, 09:12:37 PM »
What better way to spend your weekend than laying on a concrete floor under sealing your car  :P Winter is on its way so I thought it’s high time I gave luigi a dose of under seal. I chose the hamirite underseal brand as it had a good write up. It only took about 2 hours to do with a brush and was strangely satisfying once done and will hopefully keep rust at bay for a few years

With the car up on axle stands I took the opportunity to repaint the engine. So off came the rear panel. Alternator, distributor, crank pulley and exhaust.... the latter was particularly bad as there was a small crack in the box and the high temp exhaust wrap had acted as a sponge and started the rot the pipe.

Luckily I got there in time. so cut it all off and wire brushed down I sprayed some E-TECH very high temp paint (good for 600c) the crack was dealt with by welding it up. While I was there I also fitted an aluminium heat shield by welding a bracket on the side of the down pipes.

All done :) had to drive the car for half an hour to cure the paint but now looks great :thumbup

Also fitted the steelies back on for winter...... I’ve kinda missed them :D

Flying Carpet

« Reply #350 on: October 08, 2017, 10:31:51 PM »
Good catch with that exhaust Gadge. It would be a shame to alter that lovely exhaust note with a dirty great hole!

I'd heard about that exhaust wrap creating a nice warm and damp corrosive microclimate, so in the end decided against fitting it to the headers on my other classic - not before buying a roll of it though!

That heat shield looks the mutt's wotsits btw!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #351 on: October 09, 2017, 07:12:00 AM »
Yes my advice would be NOT to use it. In hindsight its location right by the rear wheel doesn't help matters plus the fact that I don't drive it enough so damp sets in. It may be a different story on a FWD car that gets used a lot. I did find another fault with that wrap and that it literally fell apart as I tried to unwrap it. I think the tie wraps were the only thing holding it all together!  :-X never mind lives and learns eh  ;D

drcdb15

« Reply #352 on: October 10, 2017, 11:45:08 PM »
Re the exhaust wrap, it's a good idea NOT to fit it, but not for the reasons you think. Exhaust wrapping started in NASCAR events some years ago, and there's all these theories about keeping the exhaust zone hotter so as to more efficiently scavenge exhaust gasses and raise engine power... sorry, but it seems the truth is a little more mundane. Apparently the exhausts were NOT wrapped to keep the exhaust hotter, but to keep other engine bay components COOLER.

Paradoxically, it was soon found that preventing the exhaust pipe from cooling as it was designed to do lead to premature heat stress failure of the pipes and of the pipe/flange weld joints. Now in racing this was acceptable as the engine was checked out after every race, but in normal everyday driving you don't do this, and anyway you don't want the expense of replacing your exhaust prematurely.

So the crack is nothing to do with too much moisture/rust on the outside, but too much localised heat on the INside.

So for normal non-race use exhaust wrap is BAD NEWS, don't do it folks!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #353 on: October 11, 2017, 07:20:31 AM »
Yes I’ll go along with that although the reason I fitted it was to try and reduce engine bay temps plus it helped me to not get scolded if I was working in that area - which it was only marginally better at lol

My real concern was the fact that water would soak into it presumably when it sat in my damp garage and would just eat away at the metal. I don’t use the car much so it wasn’t getting hot enough regularly to boil it away. The crack was on the bracket I thin this was down to vibrations. So to repeat the above advice DONT DO IT! save your money and buy some good heat gloves instead! :P

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #354 on: October 14, 2017, 06:36:47 PM »
Red Oktober day at the Coventry transport museum :)

jsj

« Reply #355 on: November 05, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »
I have been reading your thread from the beginning last week. What a nice project, absolutely love what you did to the car ! Well documented for the less experienced 126 drivers as well !

Keep up the good job ! Very inspiring

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #356 on: November 13, 2017, 09:07:56 AM »
Thank you Jsj :thumbup

It’s been a busy weekend for both Luigi and I as I had a late invite to display him on the Fiat motor club GB stand at the NEC classic car motor show and couldn’t say no so down we went on Thursday to set up and I spent the who 3 days there meeting and greeting again. There was so much interest and attention!

I went for a utilitarian look for the show so on went the steel wheels and the early Mk1 steering wheel for that basic look and yellow continental style bulbs to complete it all.

It was a fun 3 days and by Sunday evening I was about knackered but it seems the excitement was all too much for Luigi too as halfway home he packed up on the M6 with a broken points wire :P ...... it was a very long and cold wait for the AA but a temporary fix saw me home! Another successful AA fix! :D

stuey

• Subscribers
« Reply #357 on: November 13, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »
Glad to see you got home safe this pic turned up on retrorides as luigi was getting some love on there, i pointed them here to see the full story.

one resprayed and another arrives- double trouble BIS style!!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #358 on: November 13, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »
Thanks stuey I might sign myself up to retrorides it looks a good site :thumbup

wsmitwil

« Reply #359 on: November 13, 2017, 10:14:11 PM »
I knew it was you, I was there Sunday looking very carefully at your car was probably there half an hour looking at the car think it's the first time I've seen you, sad to know how the weekend ended

You made my day THANK YOU

great to see loades of people taking an interest in a 126

Saw about 7 fiat 500s we need to do a fiat 126 stand at the NEC
fiats forever