Author Topic: luigi  (Read 68028 times)

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: luigi II
« Reply #330 on: March 09, 2017, 08:31:57 PM »
How do you find the sound system at speed?

and when are you going to install a 5th gear... we need a guinea pig to document installation for the rest of us  :P

The sound system is pretty good :) in its day (the early 90's) it would've been the nuts and would've been more at home in a 5 series BMW rather than a budget car no bigger than a shoe box :P but it's clear enough. It'll be a lot better when I've sorted out the head lining

The 5th gear plan is still hopefully happening at some point this year perhaps autumn time. Just have to pluck up some courage to pay the £700 odd pounds to someone I've never met and hope that it all works  :o
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Xylaquin

« Reply #331 on: March 09, 2017, 11:30:21 PM »
I'm assuming half that price is for machining rather than just the kit

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #332 on: March 10, 2017, 07:18:30 AM »
I'm assuming half that price is for machining rather than just the kit

No idea bud it's just the price that the company website says http://www.fiat500sport.com/gearbox-and-transmission/fiat-126-gearbox-kit-5-speed-0112a.html

EDIT it's about £600

Xylaquin

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #334 on: March 10, 2017, 08:20:43 PM »
WOW that is cheap!  ;D this seller has completely missed my radar I've never seen that seller before - great shout :thumbup

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #335 on: March 10, 2017, 10:13:26 PM »
This is the shop I am thinking of using to build an 800cc engine, if the vw venture bombs out. Prices seem good for most of their stuff.

Ralph

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #336 on: March 11, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »
Early start this morning. I was at the tyre shop at 8.30 to get some hoops fitted to these wheels. My tyre of choice - 165 55 13s as fitted to cinquecento sportings - were limited as it's now becoming a rare size. There's plenty of budget ones about but I'm a funny one when it comes to tyres. So I whittled it down to two. Pirellis at £330 for four or Nangkang toursports at £179 for four. I really wanted the pirellis but they were just too expensive so I took a risk on the nangkangs. I know very little about this brand but they have been about for a while. So here they are :)

And here's the end result. The rear has a 16mm sparco spacer on and the front there is a 5mm one. A small road test revealed no rubbing from both ends so on the whole a very successful trip. It still needs a bit of fiddling though I'm not 100% satisfied about the spacing. I think the rear could actually go in a bit more and the front could do with coming out. So ive now ordered a 12mm for the rear and the 16mm that's on the rear now will replace the 5mm one in the front

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 01:48:01 PM by Gadge »

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #337 on: March 11, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »
Gadge, looks fantastic, nice wheels.

Ralph

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #338 on: March 11, 2017, 06:40:01 PM »
Thank you Ralph very pleased with it :)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #339 on: March 19, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »
In preparation for all this years events that I'm hoping to attend (fingers crossed!!) I thought it best to give Luigi some well needed attention. A few weeks ago I replaced the discs then after that it was the plugs, points and condenser and today it was the rest of the engine.

So out came the old oil and in went some fresh 15w40, and while I was there I readjusted the tappets, cleaned out the oil filter, drained out the gearbox oil and fitted a new fuel filter. I also took the opportunity to fit a new "gold" magnetic sump plug which I'm hoping will help catch any unwanted metal shavings.

I also need to tell people about this great tool I bought a while back but as yet hadn't used. It's a special tool to help adjust the tappers. If you've ever done this job it can be fiddly having to undo/tighten the 11mm nut while turning the adjustment screw while also trying to hold the feeler gauge. This tool however means you can do two of the operations with one hand and while it's a tad expensive (£21 iirc) it's well worth it :thumbup

Oh and if you've ever had trouble refilling the gearbox here's what I done. An old fuel hose pushed into the fill hole and then threaded up to the top with a funnel in the other end tied up to the engine lid latch.

NathanMcM

« Reply #340 on: April 13, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »
Loving the new wheels Gadge, looks mint!
Retro as f**k.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #341 on: May 01, 2017, 09:24:28 AM »
Top day out at brooklands this weekend. Luigi performed faultlessly on the way down buzzing along the the motorway at 60mph for two hours each way and keeping cool. Great reaction from lots of people so I'm very pleased :D

126blackbird

« Reply #342 on: May 01, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »
Hi Gadge, saw you car there but didn't see you, it looks like you were there early. It was a great day, not many 126s but plenty of 500s.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #343 on: May 01, 2017, 10:17:23 AM »
Hi blackbird I was there early about 8.30 I think. I only saw three others there - a green one and a red one that went up the test hill (just! :D)

1973/126

« Reply #344 on: May 11, 2017, 09:56:18 AM »
 Loving that first picture of Luigi with the white Coupe in the background 8)
 Unfortunately we couldn`t make it to Brooklands as our car wasn`t playing ball.
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126