Author Topic: luigi  (Read 65569 times)

jonny126

Re: luigi II
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 10:27:50 PM »
Interesting to hear about the thermostat. Still being new to the 126 I'm starting to hear about the headgasket issues. I was going to replace the one on mine as the car's been sat outside for a good 12 years!

Where'd you get the relocation kit from? Have you noticed any improvement?

Fantastic looking car btw, just picked up some chrome mirrors for mine!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 10:46:31 PM »
Thanks  :) yeah the head gasket issues are common on these due to the ridiculous position of the thermostat (at the bottom of the engine) the relocation kit moves it to the top where it's supposed to be. To early to tell if it has improved any but going on what I've read it should be a vast improvement.

I've had the kit a while. I bought it off eBay for an abandoned project unfortunately I hear that the kit is no longer available anymore. If you do experience thermostat problems then just remove it. It'll take a few minutes longer to warm up but it saves a lot of hassle
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »
Fitted a very retro looking grundig tape player today along with an old pioneer speaker which fits pretty well in the corner of the glove shelf

Kowalski

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 07:32:23 PM »
Hi Gadge,

your retro project is coming along very nicely.
Makes me want to search for a Bis daily runabout...

top marks!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 09:05:53 PM »
Thanks kowalski it's shaping up nicely. I love the look of the early air cooled ones but I also have good faith in the BIS engine over the air cooled ones so I'm trying to make the best of both worlds  ;D

jonny126

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 08:35:48 PM »
Ah ok, I'll keep my eyes peeled but thanks for the tips. I need to flush all the old coolant and oil out first!

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »
Ok after three days everything seems ok with the new thermostat. It's behaviour is a lot different from the old one in that it seems to take longer to heat up at the temp gauge however the heater seems to warm up faster than before so although the temp gauge has barely moved, the heater has stated to blow reasonably warm air by the time I've driven it about a mile or two so satisfied with that.

I also fitted these lovely yellow continental style bulbs  :D

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 09:45:59 PM »
Over heating woes are getting the better of this little car, I belive the culprit (or culprits) are poorly fitted jubilee   Clips and may well be leaking air into the system. On the plus side I fitted some chrome wiper arms and mud flaps

yorker740

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 07:14:35 PM »
I like the wiper arms, where did you get them?

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »
They were NOS items (new old stock) that I bought off eBay. The fitted various fiats from the 70's like 127's and 128's as well as the 126

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 07:53:30 AM »
Ok the overheating problem has been borrowed down to that old familiar BIS problem...... The head gasket. Just need to test it with a compression tester but I'm 99% sure it is as even starting it up for 20 seconds fills the water system with pressure so clearly there's gas getting in somewhere. So it's out the engine for a complete rebuild. This isn't too bad news as I planned to do this one day anyway and it's a great chance to fit a ported head, modified inlet and a lightened flywheel as well as the many new parts I've acquired over the years such as a new camshaft and lifters, timing chain and bearings.

1973/126

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 08:04:28 AM »
 Bad news about the head gasket, but at least you get to play a bit more with the car. Are you just going to swap engines for now. I remember you have that nicely painted bis engine from Luigi 1.
 Be careful with that lighter flywheel, as some people on here had some bad experience with them on a bis. It`s something to do with the way the bis engine is balanced and the counterweight on the front pulley. Perhaps some bigger valves from a later 700 Cinq would be a good upgrade and a better carb.
 Looking forward to see some more updates on this. The car looks great so far :thumbup
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »
Thanks for the heads up 1973/126 I may well leave the flywheel then - it's not lightened by much though it's only had about 300 grams or so removed off the back. I still do have that red engine which has a fully rebuilt head with new valves, guides and seats plus it's been skimmed. This engine also has a new cam shaft, timing chain, lifters and bearing but I've never ever heard it running so what I'm going to do is remove and strip the original blown engine and providing the block is ok I'll rebuild it with the new parts from the red engine as the blown engine has only done 9000 miles and I'm keen to use the original engine if I can. I'm looking into a better air filter system too  :)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 01:58:39 PM »
Started stripping the "red" engine down today in preperation for the re build of the engine currently blown in my white 126. The red engine was an engine I stripped and rebuilt some time ago for the first project which I eventually scrapped. It was rebuilt with a new cam shaft, timing chain and sprocket, lifters, valves, valve guides, valve seats, piston rings and bearings. I've never actually heard this engine run and the easy solution would be to just swap the duff engine for this unit however I'm very keen to keep much of the original engine as possible so I'm stripping the red one back down again and swapping all those new parts over including the cylinder head and rebuilding the original one. I forgot just how simple and wonderful these little engines are to work on  :D

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:52:18 PM by Gadge »

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »
Well lots of work done unfortunately a seized main bearing led to me being heavy handed and smashing the liner of one of the cylinders with the crank as I tried to press it out :cry: so I stripped as much of the red paint off the other block as it could and set to work on rebuilding it again.... DOH!

Anyway here's the finished result. New parts added were camshaft, piston rings, shells, timing gear and chain, gaskets, valves, valve seats, clutch, lifters and oil pump gear. I painted it in BMC green as found in many Morris cars from the 60's and 70's

And the gear box was also given a once over too. New gaskets, driveshaft boots and seals. It was caked in oil and took some scrubbing! It was then painted in charcoal grey