Author Topic: Front Disc Brake Conversion  (Read 13502 times)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscribers
Re: Front Disc Brake Conversion
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »
Seems like I have to revive this again to save me some one finger typing  :)

Revived for Nathen  :)

:D OK every time I mention the Disc Brake Conversion for the 126 I get a load of messages which generally ask two main questions ,
What parts do I need ?
& How do you do the conversion ?
It is great to see the enthusiasm and interest but with my "one finger typing" I just do not have the time to type detailed answers to every message.
So I am going to try and cover it here.
I am talking here about the conversion that will suit any 126 or 500 that has 13" wheels and 126 stub axles.

PARTS REQUIRED

Disc Brake Callipers complete with Carriers , Pads , Fixtures & Fittings from or suitable for the Cinquecento , Seicento or early Punto range.
240mms Fiat discs to suit the above.
2 M10 x 1mms Banjo bolts to suit the calliper thread at the flexi hose inlet.
Disc brake adaptor plates.
6 x M8 plate to stub axle mounting nuts & bolts
8 x M10 spacing washers.
Brake Fluid.
TIME - For a reasonably competent DIY mechanic if the parts are all prepared and you know what you are doing then you could probably do this in about 2 hours or half a day with tea breaks.

PROCEDURE

Jack up car at front end , remove front wheels , remove brake drum , remove hub , disconnect flexi brake hose by removing banjo bolt from back of brake cylinder then undo the three nuts that secure the brake backing plate to the stub axle & remove brake assembly.
Fit disc brake adaptor plates , refit hub , fit 240mms disc using original bolts , bolt carrier (with or without complete calliper assembly) fitting the spacer washers between carrier & adaptor plates , assemble calliper if not already complete , connect flexi hose using M10 x 1mms banjo bolts & copper washers , bleed brakes , refit wheels & have a test drive .
 **-

Hi , i've been searching through the threads on disc conversions but can't find any set ups for 12" wheels. can your method be adapted to suit them.Cheers Dennis  ( my drum brakes don't give you any confidence )

mintex

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2017, 09:38:26 PM »
ok, its taken me a bit to get my finger out but after a run out with a group of classics at the weekend and having brake problems its time to do the conversion.

I have the plates (cheers Rusty's Uncle :good: ) but are these the brake calipers i need (see attachment) that ive found for sale?

Cheers
Dave

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2017, 10:06:59 PM »
There not the ones I used - that's not to say they won't fit - but the common caliper used from a seicento/punto which I think is what rustys' plates are for
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

mintex

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
ah ok cheers, the add says they are from a mk1 punto but that's if the add is correct lol. i did find some but that said they were from a 1.2 16v, not sure if they are different?
Dave

mintex

Dave

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscribers
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2017, 06:27:58 AM »
ive just found these, do they look like the right ones mate? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fiat-punto-1-2-8v-driver-osf-brake-caliper-795211-/253024266424?epid=1409708508&hash=item3ae96be8b8:g:Kf0AAOSwXYtY1A1U
Yes you have got the right ones there along with the all important carrier and M10 mounting bolts  :)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2017, 06:28:46 AM »
That's it Dave, their the ones just make sure they come with the carriers :thumbup
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

mintex

« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2017, 11:32:23 AM »
Bugger, someone must have been watching this thread as its gone now, i will have to search for more when i get home after work today  :(
Dave

mintex

« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2017, 05:46:54 PM »
Sorted, i've just found some more that look a cleaner set, plus they were £5 cheaper  :yahoo:
Dave