Author Topic: Front Disc Brake Conversion  (Read 39489 times)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
Front Disc Brake Conversion
« on: April 03, 2010, 01:45:09 PM »
 :D OK every time I mention the Disc Brake Conversion for the 126 I get a load of messages which generally ask two main questions ,
What parts do I need ?
& How do you do the conversion ?
It is great to see the enthusiasm and interest but with my "one finger typing" I just do not have the time to type detailed answers to every message.
So I am going to try and cover it here.
I am talking here about the conversion that will suit any 126 or 500 that has 13" wheels and 126 stub axles.

PARTS REQUIRED

Disc Brake Callipers complete with Carriers , Pads , Fixtures & Fittings from or suitable for the Cinquecento , Seicento or early Punto range.
240mms Fiat discs to suit the above.
2 M10 x 1mms Banjo bolts to suit the calliper thread at the flexi hose inlet.
Disc brake adaptor plates.
6 x M8 plate to stub axle mounting nuts & bolts
8 x M10 spacing washers.
Brake Fluid.
TIME - For a reasonably competent DIY mechanic if the parts are all prepared and you know what you are doing then you could probably do this in about 2 hours or half a day with tea breaks.

PROCEDURE

Jack up car at front end , remove front wheels , remove brake drum , remove hub , disconnect flexi brake hose by removing banjo bolt from back of brake cylinder then undo the three nuts that secure the brake backing plate to the stub axle & remove brake assembly.
Fit disc brake adaptor plates , refit hub , fit 240mms disc using original bolts , bolt carrier (with or without complete calliper assembly) fitting the spacer washers between carrier & adaptor plates , assemble calliper if not already complete , connect flexi hose using M10 x 1mms banjo bolts & copper washers , bleed brakes , refit wheels & have a test drive .
 **-

Jota69

Re: Front Disc Brake Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »
Thanks a lot, this information is very helpfull

Da Londo

• It's not the carb size that matters, it's the jet
    • Fiat 126 blog
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 12:02:29 PM »
Does anyone know what the added weight would be with this conversion?

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:03:47 PM »
Nobody has done the maths as far as I know but I can weigh a caliper & disc if you have a drum set up to weigh & compare. All I can say is that I recently drove a standard 126 that had new brake cylinders fitted . Compared to my car with the discs fitted you had to work so much harder on the brakes.

Da Londo

• It's not the carb size that matters, it's the jet
    • Fiat 126 blog
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 11:41:37 AM »
No, I haven't got any around, but this morning I was thinking that any added weight on the front axle and especially at the point of the wheels will give more stability thus making it positive weight.
I'm looking for an aircooled one for the moment to use for a little project, wanting to increase engine power a bit, nothing drastic, cam, 1mm of the head, (maybe putting a Dellorto on it as I have one lying around but don't know what it will give with the jets) flywheel and then do some extensive weight reduction while keeping it road legal, so anything one does not need will go out.

Greets,
Jim aka Da Londo

Edit 1: Taken another look @ the carbs lying around, it's Solex so I guess it's a no go on carbs.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:15:52 PM by Da Londo »

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 02:34:44 PM »
SOlex was often used so don't chuck it out, they worth a bit too  ;)
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 10:45:36 PM »
Hi Rusty,
There are quite a few Cinquecentos being broken up at the moment. Being a complete novice on this subject matter. Do I simply purchase both the front brake system which will include F&F, the discs, brake pads and calipers? It will probably have most of the "parts required" you itemised with the exception of the stub axles and brake fluid.

ronb1967

• Subscribers
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
  Do you have a blue print for the disc brake adaptor plate or can the plate be purchased ??? Thanks

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »
Amateb8 , yes get the complete callipers along with the mounting bolts.
ps I never mentioned stub axles on the list , you have already got them on your car, it's those big bits that join the wheels onto the suspension  ;D ;D

As for the adaptor plates , I have not mentioned them on the forum for some time as it stopped the flow of time wasting messages I was getting and general questions from people who could not be bothered to use the search facility on the forum. Also supplies were limited , at least at the price I sold them to forum members and I may get a quote to get some more made but like everything I guess the price will go up. I have had a steady stream of enquirey messages from guys that have researched the forum and in fact I posted the last spare set to a guy in Romania yesterday. I have got one set that I am keeping for myself if I go to 13" wheels and I have another set up on my top shelf. The "top shelf" set are being kept for a guy who said he wanted them but was strapped for cash at the time so I said I would put them aside for 12 months. Well I reckon we are coming up to about 359 days  :$
You know who you are you naughty boy  :o but I am a man of my word.

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 09:54:38 PM »
Please correct me if I am wrong. The only missing part are the adaptor plates. Could you kindly give me an idea how much you would charge for the these plates please?

Eklipze3k

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »
As an aside to this thread, I am trying (with limited success) to source front calipers from a Punto GT or similar to put on my Seicento. As such, the calipers will of course become available at that time so if anyone wants them and happens to spot a set of Punto GT calipers, let me know :)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 06:40:40 AM »
Hey Klipy , I may have half a solution for you. In my early days of experimenting with possible disc brake set ups for the 126 I bought a range of Fiat calipers to try out. One of them is a complete sporty Punto to run with the vented discs. I was going to put it on eBay but if you are interested I will dig it out of my garage. Also got two pairs of new original Panda callipers if anyone is running that set up & wants spares.
Amateb8 I am not sure who is more bonkers , you or me  :$
We have met twice already this year at the Auto Italia events , both times I had a spare set of plates in my car and you never said a thing. Now they are sold out you are asking me how much they are  :o Anyway having met you I know that you are a jolly fine fellow even if you are still in disgrace for not taking your 126 to Stanford hall  :(
There may yet be a spare set if the guy does not claim the ones on my shelf so I will put you at the top of the list.

Eklipze3k

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 09:46:38 AM »
Just one? Hmm, the chances of finding another singleton are slim so let me get back to you on that one :)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 11:32:37 AM »
That is no problem I will just be keeping it in "stock" for the time being. I just dug it out and it is an original Fiat part no. 0046758649 on the box just in case you come across another one. I have a single complete Cinque calliper also and will be looking for a twin so if you turn any up I am happy to do a swop.

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »
Hi Rusty,
It has always been my plan to convert to disc brakes but oftentimes it is down to timing. When funding is available, I tend to look into the brake conversion in earnest, up until the funding gets used unexpectedly for something else. As a consequence, the planned conversion gets frustratingly deferred once again. For the time being, I have the resources now but I can't really purchase the used Cinquecento brake discs, calipers, mounting bolts et al, without the adaptor plates. Well, I can buy the Cinquecento brake parts but have absolutely no place to store them. The situation is made worst due to the fact that I have accumulated lots of spare parts for my two 126s (and other cars), particularly for my blue Bis which is due for part restoration in August. My other half is not very pleased with the limited storage space we have being used up by spare parts. If your last adaptor plates do not find a home, consider it sold!