Author Topic: The cars the star.  (Read 4864 times)

paul harbinson.

The cars the star.
« on: September 21, 2005, 07:40:20 AM »
I was as pleased as punch last night.Iwas clearing out the tv cabinet and found a video I thought was long lost,a copy of the cars the star featuring the FIAT 500.There was one comment Quentin Wilson said that brought childhood memories flooding back,it was the nickname of all the baby FIATS...the fut fut FIAT.There was also an interesting programme I had taped about the history of FIAT on after the cars the star.I love finding wee treasures like that :DThere was also another name given to the 126,I think it may have been a local thing,im sure someone will tell me if it was'nt and that was the "puddle jumper".
Dante Giacoso, pure genius!

f500126

• Administrator
The cars the star.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 10:14:41 AM »
Hi Paul,

Perhaps "Niki" was the other name for the 126 you were trying to remember? Think they use this in Australia?

It may be a very small world but a few years ago I did a tape for a gentleman in Ireland. On the tape was "the car was the star" and a discovery program on the history of Fiat. It could'nt be you, could it :shock:

f500126

paul harbinson.

tape
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 10:35:11 AM »
It was indeed mate.My mate Jonny contacted you to get the tape for my birthday a couple of years ago.My god its a small world , "puddle jumper"was the name I was talking about. :lol:i had a blue 126 fsm at the time.

paul harbinson.

tape
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 10:49:45 AM »
P.S thanks a million for the tape I love it to bits. :D

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
The cars the star.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 12:21:24 PM »
blimey it is a small world!! Unbelievable!!!  :lol:  :lol:
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

paul harbinson.

Impoets
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 07:49:51 AM »
Hello boys' and girls'.Its unbeleivable the amount of people stopping me and asking where they can buy a 126.I was wondering would it be a good idea to go to Poland with a car transporter and bring back a load of pre 95 126's.People seem to be goin nuts for them over here (or is it just me).

Chris Lakin

The cars the star.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 11:37:19 AM »
Paul, it sure would be a good idea!! Im hoping to go sometime soon to Poland, to pick up a few parts and have a look around at the 126's. I'm hoping to go with my brother in his long wheel based Landrover, he really likes the idea of going there for a few days, so should be able to get a few aicooleds on the roof  :lol: :lol:  (i wish) if only i had the land. As a mechanic you could have a nice little set up there Paul!!! hopefully after a few years of importing them, they would be everywhere! NI seems to be the place where the aircooleds are! You need to get a good contact out there who could ensure a fresh supply of parts!!

When do you think they will stop making 126 parts in Poland? How many years left??

I have to take my hat off to the peolpe who travel to Poland in there 126's and further afield, like Barry and Roman.

Chris

paul harbinson.

Parts
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 02:02:37 PM »
Well Chris basic rule of thumb for most manufacturers is ten years,however after about five or six years they usually stop with big parts like shells and brand new engines.The likes of Jaguar and Aston will go on for a few years longer than that ,actually Aston-Martin will rebuild a car for you no matter what age the car is(mmmmh nice DB5 in silver birch schaken but not schtirred). :lol:

Chris Lakin

The cars the star.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 05:30:35 PM »
Hi Paul haha, DB5  :lol: oh yes!!

The best thing they ever did was continue production of aircooled 126's untill 2000!!! there must be so many parts around, we should see even new parts still wraped for a good 15 - 20 years hidden away. Hopefully!

It does worry me though!! What will we do when the parts have dried up? the BIs parts will become hard to find first. Improvisation i guess???

well i'll try not to think about that, it does worry me though!!  :D

Chris

fiatfsm

The cars the star.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 09:51:46 PM »
Dont worry Chris, look at the 500 parts you can get! You can still get anything for VW Beetles, 2CVs, MGBs, many Triumphs etc. I know someone whos daily car is a 1954 Riley and he can get nearly everything for that! But yes the Bis bits may get trickier to find... but by then youll have found a real one! BTW, the keyring is great, cheers!
1987 Fiat 126 FSM, alloys, clear lights, Polish tat accessories... love it!

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
The cars the star.
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 11:20:28 PM »
One item I would put one side are the rear control arms, they are very prone to rust and MOT failing!
It's one of the few parts that are not available for the 500 anymore, so dont get caught out like many 500 owners!