Author Topic: Hello from Liverpool  (Read 135 times)

Hutchyp

Hello from Liverpool
« on: July 05, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
Hi folks,

I don’t own a 126 yet but I’m a classic car lover and currently own a 1972 MGB-GT

As another newbie has mentioned recently (Bielski126 - Hi), I’m looking to become part of the 126 world by buying one in Poland and drive it over. Any advice on this would be great, especially with information on the best route to take, problems encountered etc.

I’ve seen a car I’m interested in and looking to move on soon, but I tend to jump into these things and I’m a little worried about buying a car I’ve not seen and then expect to drive it back to Liverpool

Looking forward to becoming a member/owner!

Gordan

• Subscribers
  • I may be slow, but im still in front =D
Re: Hello from Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Best thing you could do is bring it back on a trailer since these cars tend to break down (so i heard  ;D ).

As for buying advice - i think you should avoid the later el- elx models, they seem to have thin metal and tend to rust horribly. On the other hand you should decide if you want a watercooled or aircooled model. The early ones with chrome bumpers and old polski fiat badges are most desirable imo but it all depends on your preferences and budget....

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Hutchyp

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 06:41:21 PM »
Thanks Gordan!

Leaning towards having it brought over as no doubt I'll end up being stuck at the side of the road! Also, I'm not sure how insurance and breakdown cover would work for a non UK car.
The seller has given me a quote of £420 (katowice - Liverpool), which seems fair. Can anyone recommend any haulage companies they've used?

Having a few things done to the car in Poland (new exhaust, interior, etc) so it should be ready to travel in 2-3 weeks

danthemanic

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:12:00 PM »
Be a devil and drive it back. I did with mine and it was loads of fun. See my post history.

Toasted

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:56:33 PM »
Thanks Gordan!

Leaning towards having it brought over as no doubt I'll end up being stuck at the side of the road! Also, I'm not sure how insurance and breakdown cover would work for a non UK car.
The seller has given me a quote of £420 (katowice - Liverpool), which seems fair. Can anyone recommend any haulage companies they've used?

Having a few things done to the car in Poland (new exhaust, interior, etc) so it should be ready to travel in 2-3 weeks

How are you going about managing this at arms length from the UK?

How easy is it?

Cheers.

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 04:55:16 PM »
Make sure you check the car personally.
Poles are the masters of bodging cars.
What year is the car?
Do not think having a polish MOT means it’s safe.