Author Topic: Cutting out whilst driving  (Read 2378 times)

Essex 126

Cutting out whilst driving
« on: July 13, 2018, 06:41:45 PM »
Evening all I have a problem and i'm wanting to pick on your wealth of experience.
I have a 98 126 with a 652cc and electronic controlled sparks.
She's fine on short journeys and barely misses a beat, however after half an hours driving she'll be fine under load, but soon as she slow's down (breaking for instance) or you down shift she cuts out (with the oil and batty light lighting up on the dash).
Pip (the car) is then totally dead, won't turn over, but the batty is full (95%), the engine isn't ceased (hand turns) but it wont crank. Turning the key on the ignition doe's dim the light on the dash, but no turning. She can't even be bump started at this point.

But give Pip a few hours to become stone cold and she'll fire up fine as if nothing happened, but will repeat the process after another half hour / 40min's.

Any body got any experience of this before, and how did you resolve this?

Thanks in advance - Pip and Driver

Yoshimisumi

Cutting out whilst driving
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 12:16:52 AM »
When my coil went it started out a bit like that, although not being able to crank at all is a bit odd...
Have you measured the battery voltage whilst cranking cold then also when it cuts out? Although if it starts again after 40 mins you'd say the battery is ok.

Edit: on reading again, as it's when slowing down you get the issues it could be rust in the fuel tank getting stirred up and clogging the filter? I've had that too. Runs leaner and leaner gets hotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 12:20:59 AM by Yoshimisumi »

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: Cutting out whilst driving
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 08:16:42 AM »
This one completely throws me also, never heard anything like it. The light dimming on the dash does suggest a large power drain at the starter motor but no turning over. Do you hear the solenoid clicking? You may well have a combination of problems that makes all the more confusing. I would be inclined to check all the lines from the battery earth right the way through to the engine earth for bad connections or signs of damage. Possibly strip and inspect starter motor. On another front I would check valve clearances and points gap.

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »
Also make sure the fuel pump is not overheating for some reason. 2 friends of mine had that issue. The first one was fixing it with a bottle of water on board.  8)  The other found out that the pushrod was bended, after trying a brand new pump with no success.

Essex 126

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 10:35:35 AM »
Morning all and thank you.

Yoshimisumi - I'm pretty confident it's not the battery as it still won't turn / crank even with a booster or jump. The fuel filter is fairly new and the tank got redone 2 years ago (by previous owner), and it only happens when the engine has been running for more then half an hour, not on the shorter trips around town. The Coil was not something that has occurred to me though so i will have a look.

Rusty's Uncle - Solenoid, I wasn't aware that there was one (certainly not heard it either). Where would i find it and what does it control? I'll recheck the resistance on all the earth connections back to the terminal to see if there is a dry connection.

Deyan IYI - I'll have a look at the fuel pump and the rod also.

I'll keep you posted on Pip's aliments and when and if i find the solution i'll post that also, but first the Misses want's to go clothes shopping ( in other words drag me around Lakeside!).

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 01:09:15 PM »
I thought the late cars were key start but if it is still cable pull starter lever on the floor ignore that but I would still check out the starter :)

Yoshimisumi

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 07:07:18 PM »
The solenoid is alongside the main starter motor body in the single assembly, easier to remove the thing as one and bench test it.

Best way I found for removal was getting at 2 fasteners (I think) from the engine bay round the rhs from behind and then have the back on stands to gain access underneath. You may need to jack a wheel to get the driveshaft out the way too and allow it to drop but it's very straightforward.

Disconnect the battery first as well as you're dealing with hopefully good connections!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Essex 126

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 03:56:53 PM »
Afternoon kind Sir's / Mam's
I think i have identified the problem, I have a resistance in excess of 200'000 ohms on the secondary side of my coils, the primary side is 2.3 ohms.
I will be replacing the Coil and the plugs, is it necessary to replace the leads as well?

The Coil i will be using is http://www.ricambio.co.uk/420-ignition-coil--fiat--alfa-romeo-various-models.

Yoshimisumi - I have yet to extract the solenoid to inspect it.

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 05:28:07 PM »
You can use that type of coil. Hope you have not ordered that one as it is over 3 times the price of the same thing on ebay plus you will be paying postage, free on ebay. With that coil you will need to make your own mounting brackets, you will need a special plug connector for the wiring and you will need a ballast resistor if you do not already have one  :)

Essex 126

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 02:46:12 PM »
Thank you Rusty Uncle for the Ebay update - picked them up for a third like you said.
The coil is like for like replacement for what i already had.

The only problem is that the engine now rough idals and has a lack of power when up to temperature.

Allan

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 02:17:14 AM »
My thoughts are you have two problems. First one is the cutting out and secondly the starting hot.

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 07:47:14 AM »
I had what sounds like the same problem on three of my cars this year and managed to get it sorted. It was a combination of problems all electrical based. To resolve it we changed the spark plugs, the HT leads, reset the contacts, replaced the condenser and corrected the timing (on one of the cars) and checked and repaired all electrical wires in the engine bay.

It’s amazing what a difference fixing the electrics has done to power and efficiency. The things we found were really quite basic but I can imagine that they often get overlooked, particularly the wiring but they do seem to deteriorate over tine.
Every cloud has one...

Essex 126

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 03:06:57 PM »
Allan / Vitelli
Than you for your ideas,
So far i have replaced the Coils and spark plugs with new Ballast on order (the old one's resistance was only 1.2 Ohm). I've yet to identify the hot start problem though as i haven't driven the car for any period more then 20 min in the past couple of weeks. I have tied letting the engine sit and run for 40 min, but without a load i can't get it to "cut out" as she did on the road.
I have also bought a digital Tach that taps the feed from the spark and lost spark to help fine tune the idal fuel mix and speed. Fingers crossed this will resolve all!

Finally apologies to those whom have commented for my lack of response, i have been tied up with work and my girlfriend planing activities to fill the weekends. I'm beginning to hate Lakeside!!!!

From Pip and I thanks for your continued input