Author Topic: headlining  (Read 3449 times)

zola67

headlining
« on: May 17, 2018, 06:30:41 PM »
Hi,

just a quick question

trying to remove old headlining as board has dropped and material is sagging

do the 3 screws / gromits holding the board at the back of the bis need to be screwed out or can you pull them out - don't want to damage anything especially if the parts are hard to find

thanks

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: headlining
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 09:00:43 PM »
Pulled. They attach to a square hole that's in a bracket that's part of the roof pressing so need to be prised out gently. I snapped all three of mine trying to do the same so ended up buying a pack of those little square plastic inserts that you can screw into and fastened it back up that way.
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

zola67

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 09:48:39 PM »
hi thanks

broke the headlining board and snapped the middle gromit - the other 2 still in bracket

needed to replace board as sagging

where did you get the square plastic inserts from ?

thanks

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:37:31 PM »
I got them from eBay. Not sure what they are officially call but something like plastic insert clip
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

zola67

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 01:23:00 PM »
hi, thanks

update

bought some 4mm hardboard and used the original headlining board as a template and cut a new one

tried to get this to fit too big  cut down sides and tried again still too big and not very flexible

have got the foam backed material and contact adhesive

don't know whether to try without the hardboard

any advice

zola67

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 11:28:03 AM »
update

ordered some orange plastic tile underlay sheet which is 3mm thickness so will use this instead of hardboard

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 08:18:27 PM »
I used the same one on mine.

I used my old headlining as a template. Cut it to the same size as the headlining, but I allowed an extra inch or two at the front, so that it slides into the metal cavity (where the sun visors are located). Also, cut the plastic underlay slightly larger on than the original (on the sides), so that it slides into the side cavities running alongside the inner roof from the hatch to the front windscreen. Install the cut plastic from the inside. There is no need to slide it in from the rear hatch. Adjust as required by cutting bits of it so that it fits into place without holding it in place. Make sure you are happy with the fit.

I covered the tile tile underlay with grey felting. I cut the felt to size allowing for an extra one or two inches, so that it folds underneath. Allow again, a bit extra at the front. Lay the cut felt on the floor. I then sprayed the cut underlay with copious amount of adhesive on one side. Carefully, place the plastic in place on the felt. Once in place, spray adhesive along the sides, and fold the excess felt into place. You will have to cut the felt in the corners so that there is no folding. Once it is done, to keep it in place whilst the adhesive is drying, I shoved the finished covered headlining under our living room carpet.

When dry. Do a trial run. Try to fit it into place. There may be tight areas because of the felt. Trim the excess felt as required until it fits. Make sure once again you are happy with the fit. DO SEVERAL DRY RUNS FITTING IT INTO PLACE.

Now the tricky bit!!!!! Installing the headlining. You have ONE attempt at this. Hence the dry runs.

I sprayed lots of adhesive on the metal roof, that is, a third of the roof on one side. Carefully, install the headlining on one side (sideways), ensuring the side gets into the cavity running along from the rear hatch to the front windscreen. Also ensure, it is also slides into the front cavity (sun visor area). Also, make sure it is fits nicely at the rear hatch area.

When in place, with two thirds of the roof without adhesive. Test the fit once more, by effectively installing it fully. If you are happy with the fit. Spray the center third. Press it into place. Then spray the final third. It might be a bit challenging to fit the final third, as you might notice, there is an area that for some reason didn't fit well. You can still make some adjustments. Try not to damage the felt.

To keep it in place, I bought those pine bead mouldings. It is quite flexible. I cut it so that it runs across from one side to the other. Each end must be forced into the cavity, so that it flexes upwards towards the shape of the roof. You may break a few of these. I installed four of these to keep the headlining adhered to the roof.

At the rear, you can pull it down a bit, and spray adhesive to reinforce it, then install the plastic screw plugs.

The adhesive doesn't last. I then covered the pine bead mouldings with felt.

That was a couple of years ago. It is still in good nick!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to mention. I installed one of those lightweight Dynamats on the roof beforehand.

Good luck.

I'll post some photos.

Amateb8

• Subscribers

andyzeetec

• Subscribers
  • 126 BIS
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 01:11:25 PM »
This is what I've used in the past for sound deadening and it's cheap  ;) Works well on back of metal garage doors as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-Bitflex-Bitumen-Boat-Car-VW-Sound-Proofing-Deadening-Van-Insulation-Pads-M/253492557866?epid=23016616102&hash=item3b0555782a:g:IvAAAOSwUwhaqoId

Also, heres an old thread on mine, head lining is still sitting in the garage waiting for attention..  :- http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10693.0

OR New roof lining 56 quid delivered.. https://webshop.fiat500126.com/en/katalog/artikelinfo/1509/roof-lining-_sound-absorbing-plate_-grey

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »
I think buying a new one is a better bet. But it will be challenging to install it without damaging it. It was so difficult to remove the old one. I actually damaged the old one when I pulled it out from the rear hatch.

Maybe the board of the new one is flexible enough to put into place.

I kinda like what I've done with mine.

zola67

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »
hi,  thanks for the info

have glued the foam material to the orange tile sheet

going to buy some contact adhesive and see what happens

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 01:59:25 PM »
Here are some photos.

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »
One more.

I could have removed the wooden slats which originally was a temporary thing, to keep the headlining in place until the adhesive dries. I thought of retaining it but wrapping it in the same felt covering. I am still in tow minds whether to take them off or not.

andyzeetec

• Subscribers
  • 126 BIS
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 12:42:13 PM »
Lovely job 'Amateb8', looks good with the slats left on  :beer:

zola67

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 01:04:00 PM »
hi,

using the orange plastic flexible sheeting I cut this to size

using the orange plastic flexible sheeting which has small square recesses in it, I had some small flat magnets which i glued in to these recesses

i then used contact adhesive and glued the foam material to the other side of the orange sheeting

i then tried this as a dry run but it fitted well and held in place with the magnets so i have left it and not touched it since

no contact adhesive used and fingers crossed it is holding up in place for now

that was 2 weeks ago