Author Topic: Fiats for sale :(  (Read 809 times)

Darrell

• facebook profile
Fiats for sale :(
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:40:30 PM »
Hi some might know I've been struggling with my health this year to the point I've been discussing things with my better half and we think it is time. Time for me to man up and make a difficult decision.

I have an aircooled 126 and a 500F with a hoard of parts as you do with these things.
Few gearboxes spare engine new headlamps windows new windshields the list goes on and on. In fact it would take a month just to get everything out and list it.

I'm not one for mucking about with posting pictures online for a discussion to break-out but they are both not too far from running the 500 needs more work and not for the faint hearted wheeler-dealer with a scouring pad. Most of the parts (including the hard to find quarter light window frames) have been sourced. There's even two right hand drive 500 steering boxes which are like hens teeth.

If you are serious about buying it you'll obviously want to see them in person. If not I'll wait till spring when hopefully I will have the strength to get  them into a more sell-able state.

Both have been kept under cover for the past few years but having said that, cover doesn't always guarantee the rust worm does not visit.

I live in the real world and realise I will never get back everything I have put into these cars however I'd rather not be robbed. The 500 has new body panel all round except the engine cover and roof. It will be a labour of love to get it original but aren't fiats that way anyhow?

If you are interested we could organise a viewing.

Sorry about this guys I will miss 126 gatherings more than you will ever know.
My first car was a Fiat 500F and I am gutted I will never get to drive her.

Message me if you want to have a look they are in Southampton.
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

Bar Vitelli

• Subscribers
Re: Fiats for sale :(
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 10:12:20 PM »
All the best with the sale, Darrell, Southampton is a long way from Yorkshire but if you are up North at all next year when the weather is dry then you are most welcome to have a drive down memory lane in my 500 F  :thumbup
Every cloud has one...

126blackbird

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 02:04:41 PM »
So sorry to hear about you having health problems, I hope your on the mend soon. I still remember you scarring the sh-t out of me when you walked around on the roof of my motorhome some years back. Good luck with the sale.

thepuddlejumper

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 10:17:29 PM »
Darrell, sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope you are on the mend. I also remember stumbling in the dark trying to find the camper van and the subsequent rocking the occupants, that was a great weekend. If you are ever up my way drop in for a chat. All the best Ralph.

Brighton_126

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 08:12:59 PM »
Hi,
I'm really sorry that your unwell, i hope your on the mend, i am a new member to the club from Brighton and i saw that you are in Southampton, i would love to come down and take a look at your cars. i have a 126 happy end edition which I'm in the process of restoring and i need a good idea of what a good one looks like. 
Kind Regards
Luca

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 05:40:43 AM »
Hi Darrell , just catching up with the forum and seen your post. Sad to hear that you are poorly and wish you all the best. Good luck with the sales. I never got to see the 500 but I remember your 126 which was a good honest air cooled with a tasty Delorto FZD carb fitted  :)

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 12:47:46 AM »
Hi
Darrel I’ve sent a couple of messages, I had your number but can’t find it anywhere.
Get in touch mate.
Here or at
Dajwid@hotmail.com

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 12:11:48 PM »
Hi sorry life is a bit of a roller-coaster here. I should change my name to running man or something as I always seem to be running after something be it work wise or otherwise.

Needless to say health issues that have arisen for both of us have been a big distraction.

In ones 20's 30's and early 40's you seem indestructable then the proverbial hits and things change.

As Rusty mentioned the 126 is much modified and if I am honest with myself, that would be the sticking point as I not certain anyone else out there would want a wide arch wide wheel modified 126. And from the messages I have received my goal to send them all to a new home will not happen.
I wasn't keen on selling 'bits' but it seems I may be forced to in order to achieve some sort of re-reimbursement for all the daft money I threw at the project.

The good news is we have decided to try and finish the 500F, She's more-or less there with new panels, doors and most of the welding has been done. This may lead the way for me to keep some of the good stuff like the Dellorto etc etc to be fitted to the 500. A profession paint job is on the cards and working on it we've seen it was originally cream/ off-white.

This probably doesn't sit too well with the 126 fan but what is one to do in a situation like this? When I got the 126 she was a rusty old wreck that I paid little for so as it seems I shall get little in return I may as well sell the shell on wheels and keep the good stuff ?
Even if I scrap the shell I'd win as I'd end up with valuable bits such as a steering rack for the 500 project and as time has moved on rust has crept back into the 126 as they do.
So for now unless you really think you want to look at this 126 consider the possible sale as off.
PS taking spanners to the 126 may turn out to be too distressing so i may end up back on the road  :P
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »
Hi Darrell,
Sorry to hear you've been struggling with your health. It's a tough call and I don't envy having to make a decision like that.
I used to have a 126 project as well as the 500 and had fully intended to have both working but years passed and nothing had changed. The 500 sat in the garage while the 126 sat outside getting worse.

Time and space have been my main problems. I took the decision to sell my 126 a while back and while I regret it to a certain degree, it has given me more time and space and I now don't feel guilty because I can keep one car running.

I will take on another project in time, but I plan to extend my garage first so I can have room to store both cars before I start.

It is easier (emotionally) to sell one car complete. Scavenging bits off a car you like is tough! can you take the good bits off the 126 and leave a compete car? Things like steering racks for the 500 can be found cheap enough, hardly seems worth splitting the car for a few bits and pieces.

Also if you do break it, the time you spend stripping it down is time you can't spend on the other car.

That said, there is no right answer!

I'm about an hour from you these days, if you ever need a pair of hands for a bit let me know.
Rust does not discriminate