Author Topic: Indoor Car Cover  (Read 2134 times)

MikeL

Indoor Car Cover
« on: November 29, 2017, 07:09:23 PM »
I want to buy a snug-fit soft fabric car dust cover. Any recommendations?

I have seen various paper type covers at about £50, I would prefer soft fabric if I can find one that is a good fit.

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: Indoor Car Cover
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 06:58:34 AM »
Well here’s what I use. Can’t remember who I bought it off but if you google fiat 500/126 car covers you will see many companies selling them. It’s breathable and is made of a soft fine cotton that won’t scratch the paint. This is the first winter I’ve used it on so not sure on how well it keeps the damp out.

FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

drcdb15

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 03:27:24 PM »
Just (as in about 5 minutes ago!) had my monthly email from Axel Gerstl in which they list a cover on special offer at 40.0 EUROS (what's that in old money, about £30?) . It's item number 21509, says it's fleece and for 500 or 126.

https://webshop.fiat500126.com/?content=katalog&action=artikelinfo&artikelid=2502&do=pelerine-_-ganzgarage-puff-vlies-rot&&utm_source=Newletter67&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_term=Fiat500&utm_campaign=Burkhard

MikeL

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:33:28 AM »
Many thanks, I have ordered from Gerstl.

Xylaquin

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 10:39:47 AM »
Silly question probably, but what's the point of an indoor car cover?

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »
My reason is that my garage has more holes in it than a lump of Swiss cheese that’s been rejected for having too many holes in it :P this means that the drafts get in and deposits dust on the car over time. I also suffer a bit of damp during winter - it’s been dripping wet underneath sometimes with all the condensation that builds up so I’m hoping it will counter act that too
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

drcdb15

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 10:57:06 PM »
Silly question probably, but what's the point of an indoor car cover?
If you've got a collection of cars in a large hangar affair, you almost certainly get birds, squirrels etc getting in. The cover prevents their fouling damaging the paintwork.

If you have more of a workshop than a garage, the cover stops dust from all your other projects settling on the car, and again protects the paint.

If you have a showroom with high levels of sunshine, then the cover prevents UV damage.

And if like me you have a garage full of tools, bikes, the barbeque, more bikes, picnic chairs, old oil cans, rickety shelving and so on, and you carry jagged bits of metal perilously close to the car, the cover protects from scratches and other physical damage.

Having said all that, generally received wisdom is that the best place to keep a car not used every day is a car port, but again here a cover is advisable for most of the same reasons.

drcdb15

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 11:05:09 PM »
I also suffer a bit of damp during winter - it’s been dripping wet underneath sometimes with all the condensation that builds up so I’m hoping it will counter act that too
Try keeping a fan running all the time, to keep the air moving. Doesn't need to be hot, but you can use a fan heater on cold, or a summer-type cooling fan. Set it at the back of the garage to blow along the floor under the car, towards the front of the garage, and that will not only push (damp) air out towards the door (gaps) but also keep the dampness in the under-car region to a minimum.

Last time I looked a fan heater on cold was rated at about 2W, that's two watts. So at 15p approx for a kWh of electricity that should cost you about £3 in electricity for running non-stop 24/7 for a full year, 365 days - in other words, it's so cheap you can barely measure the extra cost.