Author Topic: Exhaust  (Read 2490 times)

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
Exhaust
« on: October 07, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
I've got a 2 inch hole in my exhaust and need to change it. It will be a week or so before I can and I need to drive the car in the meantime. Will it cause any problems other than the noise it makes if I do?
Every cloud has one...

michaelodonnell500

Re: Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 02:40:54 PM »
I've got a 2 inch hole in my exhaust and need to change it. It will be a week or so before I can and I need to drive the car in the meantime. Will it cause any problems other than the noise it makes if I do?
The exhaust noise might distract you from the engine noise for a little while!

You may have a little power loss , but nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Rust does not discriminate

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
Thanks, Michael, much appreciated.  :thumbup
Every cloud has one...

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 05:19:47 PM »
Make sure you have no fumes coming into the car, can be lethal  :o

michaelodonnell500

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 05:33:36 PM »
Make sure you have no fumes coming into the car, can be lethal  :o
This is a big concern for vw beetles where the heat exchanger runs through the cabin and any leaks cause the exhaust fumes to be pumped into the cabin.

126 exhaust leaks are vented to air rather than forced into the cabin. Excess gas will follow the path of least resistance which is out the back or out the bottom, not through any grommets into the cabin.

The onlycarbon monoxide danger with the 126 is if the hollow head bolts are blocked and there is a head gasket failure.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Rust does not discriminate

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »
Thanks both, the weather forecast is good next week so I'll make sure I drive with the window open just in case! It's just one day where I need to drive it on a long trip so hopefully all okay and then I'll get the exhaust sorted.   :thumbup :thumbup
Every cloud has one...

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:20:36 PM »
Well, I'm still alive! 158 mile round trip in my rusty, red car, my longest 1 day journey yet! The exhaust was noisy but caused no other issues and as loud as it was I actually quite liked it as it made the car sound more powerful!  8)
Every cloud has one...

fixit

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 05:04:43 PM »
Pleased your ok, bet soundly lovely,

flicking through the green spanner manual  happened to read about the grill in the b post near to door latch, its supposed to help to stop drawing the exhaust fumes into the car during normal operations ;D who knew??

our other make of car, had alarm issues, went to the computer, plugged in under steering, to say it was a switch at fault, the place then told me, the spare tyre was flat and the exhaust was rusty, (they were in the hope would give permission for a new parts this was over 11 years ago) we painted the exhaust, with heat paint, and now the exhaust requires attention, the exhaust is 17 years old!!!  :P