Author Topic: Long road ahead...  (Read 6875 times)

Scouse_126

Long road ahead...
« on: September 18, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »
Hi All,
After a long time stood at my in-laws farm and a couple of years stood in a garage, the time has come to get this little car back up and running! Over the last few months a lot of new parts have been ordered, and modifications lined up to change a few things. A new spray job has been booked to coincide with the jobs to be done. Well yesterday it managed to fire up after changing the plugs, points, leads and a new coil and how I have missed that sound over the years ;D Got it jacked up to have a look at bits that need welding and surprisingly there wasn't that much that needs addressing. A couple of sills, a bit of the floor pan, the front where the spare wheel sits. While up on the ramp I noticed that the round gearbox mounts could do with replacing as the rubber has perished, not a shock as it has sat for over 8 years gathering dust while a new family has been taking up all of my time and work commitments have been a minor inconvenience. The thing I'm struggling with is trying to find a stockist where I can obtain two new mounts. I've had emails back today from Ricambio and Axel Gerstl stating they haven't got any in stock and they don't get produced anymore?? Does anyone know of a solution to this problem and where I can get them from? I have become a bit disillusioned and questioning whether I should continue with my restoration as if these parts are no longer produced and I can't get them I'm snookered  :o Hopefully someone somewhere can come to my rescue...Pete126 it's normally you that solves my problems  :D I'll keep posting as I go along with updates and hopefully it happens!!
Cheers Scouse

Scouse_126

Re: Long road ahead...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 07:22:38 PM »
The mounts in question

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:35:11 PM »
 axel Gerste have them listed on this page maybe worthwhile sending them an email

https://webshop.fiat500126.com/katalog/showarticles/210100/1/engine-und-carburetor
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Scouse_126

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 09:47:09 AM »
Thanks Pete I did email Axel Gerstl and they said they didn't have any and they weren't getting produced anymore, they do say they have some in stock on that website link you have posted. Do you know if it's possible to utilise two of the right ones and put one on each side? Or I've even thought about getting the two anyway and trying to get the rubber part out and putting it in the left one on the car now if it's possible? It's possibly worth a go if I can get them.

danthemanic

• Subscribers
  • 1987 Polski A/C
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 03:44:31 PM »
Have you tried these guys?

https://www.fiat126ricambi.com/
Follow me on instagram - https://www.instagram.com/dan126p/

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:19:47 PM »
If you can't locate the left and right bis mounting i think the way to go would be to try the aircooled mountings and bracket, don't know if anyone has done this but maybe member 1973/126 might be able to advise ;D 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:34:26 PM by Pete126 »

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 07:38:35 PM »
If you can't locate the left and right bis mounting i think the way to go would be to try the aircooled mountings and bracket, don't if anyone has done this but maybe member 1973/126 might be able to advise ;D

Pete my man, the exact same thing went through my mind  :)
The Bis gearbox mount thing seems to go from bad to worse and probably will not get any better. The gearbox castings are the same at that end of the gearbox and air cooled mounts are as cheap as chips. Long time since I had a Bis mount in my hands but it seems to have two , maybe M8 , mounts to the chassis as opposed to the single M10 bolt either end of the support strut you would need. Reckon it should be an easy mod.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 08:06:45 PM »
Hi Dave, so what components would we need to order for the conversion

Scouse_126

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 05:18:23 PM »
Hi Dan, yes I have been in touch with Ricambio and Axel Gerstl who both said the same thing about the production of this part.
Thanks Pete, that is an option trying the conversion if we get an update on the parts that are needed I'll give it a go 👍🏻
Thanks
Tom
🚗

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 07:41:22 PM »
Hi Dave, so what components would we need to order for the conversion

I forgot about the torsion plate (item 2) that were fitted to the later 126s. How does the Bis mount fix to the chassis and is there an M10 threaded hole at the back of the tunnel?
You could get away with the little cross member and a couple of mounts.

Xylaquin

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 11:54:05 PM »
a quick Google and I found a pair for €65

http://fiat500-fischer.de/product_info.php?cPath=143_201_162&products_id=1401&osCsid=u6qkqalhsddn4kqp46pbuuflt6

This site also seems to have them in stock, but no price is given...
http://www.autoricambiprofeta.it/fiat/126/157-supporto-sostegno-motore-lato-dx.html
http://www.autoricambiprofeta.it/fiat/126/158-supporto-sostegno-motore-lato-dx.html

Regardless of whatever you end up doing, do not throw away your old supports. I've heard of folk who know how to reuse them by replacing the rubber somehow (when I find out I'll let you all know!)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 11:55:38 PM by Xylaquin »

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 12:17:43 AM »
Cheers Dave, Its worth a go at less than 20 quid for the 2 rubber mounts and cradle bracket ;D

drcdb15

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 11:05:44 PM »
... who both said the same thing about the production of this part.

Whilst the part may be out of production, I doubt the rubber bush will be. Fiat don't make rubber bushes, they buy off the shelf from industrial suppliers, like every other car maker. So if the part itself isn't available, look for the components. In this case, someone like these folks may be able to help:

http://www.avindustrialproducts.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlb75n6G31gIV1cqyCh3CTAGKEAAYAiAAEgI6YfD_BwE

Despite the ever-growing number of bits and bobs made from new materials and for new applications, it's astonishing how old parts still continue to be made by someone, somewhere - 'technology tail' it's called. I was looking at laminate flooring this week. Chatting to the sales folks, it seems lino is still produced. And in the UK too! [For our younger readers, "Linoleum" is what passed for state of the art flooring for your lounge in 1950, replacing flagstones and sawdust.] You only have to look at somewhere like Europa or Stafford Vehicle Components to see that car parts dating from the 1930s and before are still being made today.

I simply Googled "bonded rubber mounts" and AV was the first hit. THere are loads of others - go explore !  ;D

Scouse_126

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
Thanks all for the help and advice. I'll make a few enquiries. 🚗

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 10:07:25 AM »
The conversion to the air cooled mount is difficult to assess without a Bis in front of me but I am sure that it is doable.
On the subject of bonded rubber bushes my wife has a Fiat Panda Cross and the top rear shock absorber bushes are a particular weak point. Although the bushes are a press fit you cannot buy them and have to buy complete new shocks and the only ones available were from Fiat so expensive. Could not get any poly bushes so instead of buying a 3rd set of shocks I experimented with a liquid polyeurathane kit from ebay to cast my own bushes. The mix of the two components was critical to get strength with a degree of elasticity but it can work.
I also trawled ebay and found some poly bushes from an Isuzu Trooper that were close and were less than £4 a pair from China so they are my next experiment  :)