Author Topic: Photobucket Holding Users to Ransom $400  (Read 3828 times)

Pete126

• Administrator
Photobucket Holding Users to Ransom $400
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:32:25 PM »
Just read the new terms and conditions for using Photobucket, If you want to post your photos to forums and websites etc you have to pay $400 a year to embed >:(  >:(  >:( So if you have a free or paid - plus account download your albums and photos you want to keep before they lock you out,  Look like there's going allot of blank photos on the forum
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
Re: Photobucket Holding Users to Ransom $400
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:53:41 PM »
That's daylight robbery :o
I use postimage https://tinyurl.com/ya9yrs9b it's free.

Xylaquin

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »
I never used photobucket anyway since it requires registration.

Why don't we just increase the photo size limits of this forum? (and prevent hotlinking so other sites can't leach our bandwidth)

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 01:33:52 PM »
Damm! I only just seen this!  :o so when does this take effect? I've been using them for years. The majority of all my threads are full of photos via photobucket and a lot of them I've since erased from my photo library. It would take me ages to re-insert them from someone eles  :(

Who do others use?
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

drcdb15

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 11:11:36 PM »
Damm! I only just seen this!  :o so when does this take effect? I've been using them for years. The majority of all my threads are full of photos via photobucket and a lot of them I've since erased from my photo library. It would take me ages to re-insert them from someone eles  :(

Who do others use?
Don't panic, Gadge. As I understand it, it is only the third-party linking that is being disabled. Photos you have stored on their servers will still be there, and you personally will still be able to access them. What will *not* be possible without paying their subscription is for others such as me as an individual or this site as a 'corporate' third party to 'look into' your library.

To get your pix back 'all' you need to do is download your library back to your personal hard drive. As Pete126 said, there will be a lot of blank spaces on the Forum (there already are on other sites I use) but if anyone really wants to see one of your old pictures, and you really feel inclined to dig it out for them and post on here, technically you can still do it, and at no financial cost.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 07:17:29 AM »
Phew! So if I upload photos to this site via Photobucket will people still be able to see them? Or more importantly what happens to all my previous photos already on here?

drcdb15

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »
Phew! So if I upload photos to this site via Photobucket will people still be able to see them? Or more importantly what happens to all my previous photos already on here?

Folks will no longer be able to see either group of photos. Both the 'old' ones and any new ones you try to include will simply show to other Forum readers as a black square with 'image not availalbe' or some such message - can't recall the exact wording offhand, but it's the same on all Forums I've seen so far, so I presume it must emanate from Photobucket.

Whether you'll be able to see your *own* photos when looking at your own posts I'm not sure - I doubt it, since the link that is being blocked is between PB and this Forum. Using PB, the copy of your uploaded photo is in effect located on another web site. The picture that Forum users see in your posts on here is not actually embedded in the content of this Forum web site, rather what is embedded is a live hotlink to the PB host servers. It is that link that is now being blocked.

However, if you upload your 'new' photos directly from your own hard drive to this Forum, as I do, without going through PB or any other hosting service, then the picture will be visible to all Forum users.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 01:45:45 PM »
Right I gotcha :thumbup ..... so years of threads like mine will become useless to view  ??? Great! 

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 01:01:14 PM »
Just a quick update on this. I’ve still been using photobucket and still haven’t encountered any charges or limitations yet has anyone else yet?