Author Topic: Fuel tank  (Read 4064 times)

126blackbird

Fuel tank
« on: April 13, 2017, 10:21:16 PM »
I'm about to fit a new fuel tank to  my Bis,  looking for any advice as to the best way to remove and replace.

Gadge

• Subscribers
Re: Fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 08:36:15 AM »
I find it best to remove the rubber elbow that connects the tank to the filler next from the filler neck end so it comes off with the tank. You'll have to remove the interior trim penal but it makes it loads easier when you come to refit it. Other than that it's just three 13mm bolts and the overflow pipe :thumbup
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 11:19:19 AM »
Make sure the nuts on the captive studs are not too corroded as they have been known to shear off. When replacing the new tank I found it a pain to get the filler hose back in position until I discovered that I could collapse the top of the hose by hand then pull a cable tie onto it. Hose then goes back through the hole with ease then just remove the tie when the tank is in position. I also gave the mounting studs a good coat of grease and replaced the M8 nuts with M8 stud connectors which are about 2.5 cms long and cover the whole thread for future protection.

Yoshimisumi

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 10:58:56 PM »
Make sure you drain it as much as possible, and a low jack is great for offering it back up if your cars only on axle stands.
Also don't forget to clean up a couple of the flanges to earth the sender and check your wiring before clamping it all up... learnt the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

126blackbird

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 08:34:06 PM »
Thanks for all your replies, will be changing it this week

1973/126

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 12:10:22 AM »
 Graham if you haven`t done the fuel tank yet here are some motivational pictures for you. Had the displeasure of doing this job yet again on my latest project. It seems to get easier with practice though:)
 I have also given the new fuel tank some extra protective coating. Hopefully it will last few years.

1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

126blackbird

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 08:33:21 AM »
Hi Ladislav, thanks for the pictures. I haven't yet replaced it, I have taken to old one out, it was leaking and I thought it had rusted away but it was the rubber filer pipe that was the problem, it was only replaced about 5 years ago. Its all to do with the petrol we are now using. The new tank is ready to fit and I've given it a couple of coats of under seal. I may be going to Auto Italia on Saturday so may see you there.

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 01:25:40 PM »
I have had that hose leaking on previous cars. Some of the filler hoses were fabric reinforced rubber hoses that perish and also would not cope with modern fuel. The later hoses are made of a solid flexible plastic material. The Lad's last picture shows the cable tie trick on the hose upstand to help refitting. Old dog teach young Slav new tricks  ;D

Hi Ladislav, thanks for the pictures. I haven't yet replaced it, I have taken to old one out, it was leaking and I thought it had rusted away but it was the rubber filer pipe that was the problem, it was only replaced about 5 years ago. Its all to do with the petrol we are now using. The new tank is ready to fit and I've given it a couple of coats of under seal. I may be going to Auto Italia on Saturday so may see you there.

1973/126

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 06:22:34 PM »
 Graham good luck with it. Would be great to see you at Auto Italia 8)

Rusty the cable tie was a great idea. You better not be expecting any royalties though. And you are lucky, you called me a young Slav:)
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 07:56:35 PM »
you are lucky, you called me a young Slav:)

It was the second word that came into my head  :P

126blackbird

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 09:24:12 PM »
So does anyone have a good filler hose or where can I get one

Yoshimisumi

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 11:13:16 PM »
I bought mine off eBay last summer brand new. Got a used breather pipe as well which wasn't quite so rigid so easier to get on.

Just had a quick look and there are a couple on there.

I found some wire clip pliers at a show stall last year which were very useful as well. Here they are https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261775572201

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 12:12:54 PM »
Hello. Glad you got the Bis swing arms from Autostilo.

Is that the red Bis I sold you? Glad to see it on the road.

126blackbird

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »
No that's my old car, hope to get the one I bought from you in the next few weeks

126blackbird

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 12:49:25 PM »
Well I finally fitted my new fuel tank, I decided to buy the filler hose from Ricambio in the hope that it will last longer than the last one (about 5 years). The cable tie is a great idea it made it easier to fit through the body. The problem I did have was the breather pipe on the new tank wasn't in the right place so I had to cut a small part out of the body to get it to fit.