Author Topic: When do you refill?  (Read 2892 times)

Xylaquin

When do you refill?
« on: April 07, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »
My goal when refuelling is

Use as much of the tank's capacity as practical.
A friend of mine never lets her fuel go below the half-way point, whereas I prefer to brim then use 97% of the tank. Particularly with the 126, where range is 200 miles max!

Always try to refuel from the same fuel level
Since I track my MPG, the key is to refuel from the same level of fuel each time, ie the same physical volume of liquid in the tank.

On my previous (modern) car, when the fuel light came on, the dashboard display would show how many miles were left in the tank. I'd wait until this figure turned to 15 miles and then I'd go refuel to the top.

Since the 126 uses a primitive float to trigger the light, I've taken to waiting until the fuel light remains constantly lit and then every so often I do a quick and short hard-brake: if the fuel light goes out, I keep driving. However if the fuel light stays on even when hard-braking, then I refuel.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 01:16:46 PM by Xylaquin »

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
Re: When do you refill?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 03:44:33 PM »
One advantage of a full tank (supposedly) is that there is less chance of condensation internally in the tank and therefore less rusting, may be a myth? ::)

Frigorius

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 10:06:14 PM »
I refill every 100 km, because I have no idea how far I can drive her. The fuel indicator never goes over half-way, even if I fuel until I can actually see it in the hole. I once got out of fuel when I just got the car, and I guessed I had been driving about 190 km by then. Do they really go 200 miles?

Xylaquin

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:50:24 AM »
Do they really go 200 miles?

Yes, in fact I just did a motorway journey using an entire tank and got to 230.4 miles!

If you click on my signature you'll see my fuel tracking. You can change the units at the top-left if you don't work in MPG. My record so far is 61.9 UK mpg
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:56:11 AM by Xylaquin »

1973/126

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 07:24:41 AM »
 It looks like the bis is much better on fuel than the air cooled version. I`m not sure what sort of fuel consumption others get, but I reckon our one is mid 30mpg :$. I suppose lot of it depends on driving style and conditions though.
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

mintex

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 12:11:41 AM »
Ive no idea as yet as my fuel gauge isn't working so i cant judge it lol. probably not a lot thought as i like to show them that my  little 126 can keep up with modem traffic, im just a bit slower getting to speed lol 
Dave

Frigorius

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 10:32:37 PM »
Hello Xylaquin,

that fuel-tracking is great. I always use a note book, whilst not having a smartphony thing, to keep track of my usage. I always have an average of 7.2 l/km... 

I'm now trying my limits by driving beyond the "empty" side of my meter, which never goes further than halfway anyway, even if I fuel up completely (yeah yeah, I know, I should replace the resistor, I keep reminding myself every time  ;D).

Any idea how many liters fit in a Bis-tank? 15? 20? Never tanked more than 10 liters I think. I didn't check it the one time I fell out of fuel... (silly me  :( )

Xylaquin

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 01:24:45 PM »
Yikes, 7.2 is bad!  :o  My average is 5.4

The tank has a capacity of 21 litres according to the handbook/workshop manual, but even when I've driven to the lowest mark on the fuel meter when I go to fill the tank to the brim it's never more than 18.5 litres.

So either there's still 2 litres left when the fuel meter is at the bottom, the tank is less than 21 litres or my fuel level system is off.

Frigorius

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 10:06:19 PM »
There is always fuel in the tubes too ;). But I don't think that can be 2 litres.

It's been a long time since I measured how many litres I used per 100 km, from the time when it was my only car and I did a lot of short trips, in winter, with choke... It's probably lower now. If I remember, I'll calculate it next time I'll refuel and keep you posted :)

Thanks for the info about the capacity of the tank. I couldn't find it in the manual myself.

1973/126

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 09:47:25 AM »
 I know this topic is not so much about fuel consumption, so sorry to go off a bit.
 We have finally done a long distance(300mls) motorway run, so got a much better idea of fuel consumption.
 I was pleasantly surprised after doing some calculations. Our fuel consumption worked out 48mpg, or 6l/100 km.
 That was cruising most of the time around 55mph. Our car is an air cooled with a bis gearbox and running with a Dellorto FZD which is well known not to be too good for economy ;D
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 06:09:10 PM »
I find that my 126 Bis's consumption improves significantly if I drive it smoothly. By that, I mean, without putting any strain on the engine. At the same time, driving it strategically. You might be faced with irate and impatient drivers because of your speed. Driving this way, London driving consumption is in the high forties mpg. Many of Central London streets have a 20 mph speed limit, which suits the 126.

Frigorius

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 08:03:19 PM »
I am testing how far I can drive... Wonder when it's the first time that I will have to call someone to pick me up because I "over-tested" :)
167 km so far.

Ipock

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 08:53:07 AM »
I am testing how far I can drive... Wonder when it's the first time that I will have to call someone to pick me up because I "over-tested"

I always refuel at a quarter tank.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 10:02:47 PM by Ipock »