Author Topic: Gearbox vent and weird H-pattern?  (Read 2580 times)

Amorici

Gearbox vent and weird H-pattern?
« on: March 20, 2017, 06:42:15 PM »
Greetings all,

I have two questions for you  :D

Recently I've bought myself a Fiat 126 and brought it home. It was only then I realised there was no gearbox oil in the poor thing  :( Since then I've filled her up but the gearbox is apparently leaking, which might be the reason it was empty in the first place  :$. After inspection it seems that every seal has signs of recent leakage. Because it would be strange that all the seals would let oil through , I've been told it could be a blocked gearbox vent. Can any one of you tell me  if a Fiat 126 has such a vent and if it may be the one on the picture? Or maybe other possible reasons for what could cause this major leakage?

Question two:
Shifting through gears doesn't 'feel' like a normal H-pattern. First gear is kind of far away and second gear is really close to neutral, it barrely has any trow. Is this normal on a 126 or should the gearbox linkage be adjusted? I hope you all understand what I am trying to say. I'm sorry if there are any grammar mistakes, English is not my native language

Thanks  ;)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: Gearbox vent and weird H-pattern?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:07:12 PM »
Do not worry my friend your English is fine. The gearbox is a sealed unit apart from that vent which is needed to prevent any pressure build up in the gearbox due to it heating up as it will do in normal operation. If the vent is clear and the oil still leaks then you have a problem with the seals or joints.
In neutral the gear lever should be vertical. If it leans back or forward then it may be that the bolts holding the gear lever to the tunnel have shifted and may be able to be reset.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »
Hi, ok question 1 yes that is a breather vent it could be blocked but I can't see how as I doubt the oil would get hot enough to congeal and gum up the vent tube. It could be possible that the gaskets are just past thier best and need replacing. The most common place for the box to leak is around the drive shaft boot. Even nearly new boots weep a bit so one that's done a few miles can let a lot out.

Question 2. This sounds like your gear lever needs readjusting. It's easy anough just time consuming. You have to remove all the trim around the gear lever, lift up the carpet and you will see two 13mm bolts each in an elongated hole. You undo them both put it in 1st then tighten them up and select all gears. If it still feels odd then do it again until you get something like normal. When I say "normal" there not the most positive gear select you will come across  :D
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Amorici

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:22 PM »
Thank you for the fast replies. Can the vent be removed from the transmission to clean it? Just to rule out the possibility of it being gummed up.

Furthermore I will try to adjust my linkage. Luckily the interior is already removed, due to a newspaper patched floorpan  :$

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »
The vent just screws off but I can't remember what spanner size or if it can be undo with the box in the car
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

drcdb15

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 10:56:01 PM »
Luckily the interior is already removed, due to a newspaper patched floorpan  :$

Not only is your English language fine (as with all Dutchmen, of course) but so too is your English sense of humour!  :P

Welcome to the Forum  :welcome

Amorici

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »
Today I removed the vent. It doesn't have thread, it is actually squeezed in. You can pull it out by hand. Like Gadge suggested it wasn't gummed up, but I cleaned the vent and afterwards the gearbox. While driving I've stopped on several places to check for leaks. Besides a few "sweat" oil drops there was nothing to worry about. Only to see a puddle of oil when i shut of the Fiat.  After some investigation it seems that as soon as I turn off the engine the gearbox literally pours out its oil. After removing the flywheel cover it seems that the gearbox seal is shot. So that needs to be replaced.

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm happy I found this forum   :)

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 06:36:10 PM »
Yes the vent is a press fit into the gearbox casting. There are two grades of crankshaft seals and the red silicon ones are the best and cost about €1 more. While you have the engine out etc it might be worth looking at the main bearing as it is possible to pop it out with the crankshaft in situ  :)

Amorici

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 05:38:22 PM »
Okay, so silicon it is ;D But what do you mean with: "it might be worth looking at the main bearing as it is possible to pop it out with the crankshaft in situ"?

Do you mean i should replace the main bearing from the engine?  Because to replace this bearing and seal the flywheel should probably come off and till now i don't have engine problems, only gearbox leaks ( knocking on wood :$) and if i would replace the main bearing on the flywheel side wouldn't the distribitor need replacing to?
If it is wise I will certainly replace the main bearings from the engine.

Happy to hear your opinion :D

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 08:44:39 PM »
Yes I saw the fact that you removed the flywheel cover and for some reason thought about the crank seal at that end rather than the gearbox seal  :$

Amorici

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 06:00:53 PM »
Haha almost disassembled the engine  :P