Author Topic: 1999 Polish Fiat 126 with Carb/choke -NO Cat ! Failed MOT on Cat / Lambda Test ?  (Read 4494 times)

5816nick

• Subscribers
i Wonder if you can help me, I have a 1999 air cooled fiat 126 Maluch - town ? It's just been imported from Poland, I'm trying to get it mot'd it's 1999 and covered 20k miles and is in mint condition and passed all it's mot apart from emissions, lambda ..... And CO excessive..... As an ex mechanic I see it has no Lambda probe fitted..... No catalytic converter.... Carburettor and choke on a 1999 model?

I have been told by the MOT garage I need to contact the vehicle manufacturer and get them to write a letter stating no lambda probe or catalytic converters are fitted? Have you ever imported one of these polish cars or know anyone who has who may be able to help me?

Kind Regards Nick

Pete126

• Administrator
Hi Nick, the only person on the forum who is running a post 1993 car is Max send him a PM he should be able to advise. there are quite allot of late Polish 126's on Ebay that are not UK registered and still on Polish Plates for this same reason :(
http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8097.msg58795#msg58795
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

5816nick

• Subscribers
Hi Pete, thank you. I may get a message to him one day.... I've tried 4 I keep getting the verification codes wrong....

Kind regards Nick

1973/126

There is quite few people on here who have later cars and they seemed to have no problems with the MOT.
 I think it really depends on the MOT station.

An other way of getting round it could be to install an older engine perhaps, or have a letter to say your engine is pre 1993.

1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

5816nick

• Subscribers
Hi, thanks for the reply. It's causing me a major headache, I bought 2 together, the 1988 with 8k miles flew through the MOT, I may try another MOT station.

Kind Regards Nick

drcdb15

This problem is common to other marques of imports too. Have a read of this thread:

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=291233

Seems the most pragmatic route is to do your homework, get the MoT Manual print out, then go to a different MoT centre - preferably one that handles unusual cars so is more clued up on the various 'exceptions to the rule', or a place that only does MoTs. There is one near me called "Simply MoTs" and ALL they do is MoTs (clue's in the name, really !). I take my classic there, and most of the local trade use them as an independent test house so there's no whiff of false faults to boost the repair trade.

An alternative is to go to one of the local council run centres. Look here for your local one:

http://www.ukmot.com/Council-MOT-Test-Centers/UK

5816nick

• Subscribers
Hi, many thanks for taking the time to reply, I've just read the mot manual emissions manual section, seem a grey area for cars built between 1992 and 1995.

I've managed to find a different mot garage who repair old fiats, I've explained the situation, as my 1999 not having a cat, he's assured me it will sail through the emissions test next week🙂 So hopefully panic over! I'll let you know how I get on.

Kind Regards Nick

derekscoopers

Nick

just had my 97 126 MOT,d with no problem, my MOT station do a lot of classic cars and it flew through , the tester has to be realistic with classic cars and be more lenient.

5816nick

• Subscribers
Hi Derek, thanks for the reply, I'm still having major problems getting an MOT on my mint 1999 air cooled 126. I have contacted DVSC and FIAT UK who have both told  me the only way round it is to contact Polski Fiat and get a later stating they would never have met UK emissions standards when new, problem being Polski fiat closed in 2000.

Any ideas? I may have to drive my fiat to Buckingham for an MOT.....

Kind Regards Nick

5816nick

• Subscribers
Meant 'LETTER ' not Later!

derekscoopers

Nick

PM sent, should be not a big problem.

Derek