Author Topic: Synthetic engine oil  (Read 16117 times)

Amateb8

• Subscribers
Synthetic engine oil
« on: January 18, 2010, 11:00:26 PM »
Has anyone tried synthetic engine oil on their 126? Synthetic oil is more expensive but it is supposed to contain extra anti-wear protection and good for old engines. But synthetic oils are mostly used for high performance vehicles where a thicker oil is needed.

Some years ago, shops and petrol stations used to sell oil additives as well such as STP which is available on ebay.. 

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
Re: Synthetic engine oil
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 09:58:10 PM »
i thought synthetic oils were thinner? i always use Halfords classic oil 20w 50 as it doesnt have chemicals that damamge the oil seals. Its quite thick, hels reduce leaks!!  :P

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_166289_langId_-1_categoryId_165581

i think in america synthetic oils are used alot more, very expensive over here.

I think all the oil additives come in teh oil now, so no need for additives. i may be wrong.

Regards

Chris
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

ciaoflyer

Ciao4Now

Chris Lakin

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 10:06:36 PM »
yer i think thats good stuff, i think what matters the most is changing the oil often!!

At one point when i didnt have much i was using cheap wilkos oil from wilkinsons, was a multigrade oil for only a few pounds, it was so cheap i was changing it every week!

Chris

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 11:02:51 PM »
For the last 3 years i have been using Mobil 1 20w-50w which is a fully synthetic motor oil as used by rally and race teams.
I decided to use this oil because I have used it in 2 of my other vehicles and it offers unique protection properties, 126 engine do get very hot and synthetic oil does not breakdown like some mineral oils, it also transfers the heat better than conventional oils, It is expensive but it does the job.
More info here
http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Racing_4T.asp
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

defender90

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:43:52 PM »

Chris is right synthetic oils are thinner and designed for modern engines that have much finer tolerances. Low oil pressure is a common symptem of filling older engines with synthetic oils with the possibility of lack of oil flow to the top of the engine. Wether this is the case with the 126 engine I wouldn't know but 126 engines were not designed for synthetic oils and synthetic oils were not designed with the intention of protecting older classic engines?????
Kevan
Radcliffe
Gt.Manchester
Citroen BX TDG (soon to go)
Citroen BX TZD
Land Rover 110 Station Wagon

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 12:18:27 AM »
Many thanks everyone. I will probably opt for a thicker oil on my next oil change. Is Mobil 1 20W-50W, thicker oil? What does the numbers mean .e.g. the higher the number, the thicker it is? My next question is, I use my 126 sparingly, probably 1k a year max, mostly driven in the summer or when it is dry. My last oil change was in July 2007 (used normal non-synthetic oil). Since that time, the car did just under 900 miles. On visual inspection, the oil is still like new (very clear). Seems like an odd question to ask but does the engine oil deteriorate? Do I still need to change oil as often even if the vehicle is used occassionally? Also, I probably need a thicker oil to reduce wear on the engine particularly when it does not get used very often.

Pete126

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 12:25:26 AM »
A 20/50w Motor oil has the same viscosity whether it be a mineral or synthetic base. its just personal choice.
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:49:59 AM »
You guys have just reminded me to change my oil...can't remember when I last did it...6 months ago maybe?... :oops:
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

Dan_535

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 05:02:53 PM »
Engine oils do degrade a little over time regardless of use/mileage, i doubt yours has by much (if at all) but prob still worth changing it, certainly no harm...

Doing my oil change on the weekend too hopefully, I use Castrol Classic or Morris's Classic 20/50. personally I wouldnt use synthetics either because of all the additive chemicals, detergents etc not suiting the higher operating temperature or oil flow of the aircooled engine, not so sure on the BIS though...

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 05:13:54 PM »
 :) My car has the inbuilt automatic progressive oil management system  [-/
It keeps burning oil & leaking it & I keep chucking more in  :oops:

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 05:19:51 PM »
I don't like synthetic oils.

I had a Ducati which specified Synthetis oil which was fine for it, but then I thought I'd just buy some for the old Yamaha xs11 and it started weeping oil from all sorts of gaskets and casings, changed it back to normal oil and all the leaks stopped.
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

GTMaster

• Na most a tuti- tuti- tuti
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 10:00:08 PM »
All the new oils meet the requirements of the old oils and have more additives to meet the requirements of the new engines, so , well it's up to you to choose what sort of oil you want to put in your engine but i reckon it's all the same (quality of course isn't.) Many of you use 20w 50 , doesn't that make winter starting a bit more difficult? I've always used Agip 15w 40 which i think is more of a compromise.... Or does anyone use Valvoline Max Life because that helps against seal aging and has conditioners and other additives for older engines?
"One more drink, Lacikám?"

All about car restoration can be found in the song
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison...

Chris Lakin

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 10:13:37 PM »
i forgot how many engine oil manufacturers there were!

Haynes manual recommends Duckhams oil, im not sure if duckhams is really around these days.

Pete youre right on mobil oil, a mechanic friend swears by mobil always has done.

change your oil often thats the key.

Chris

richk

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »
1. Don't use the really cheap 20w/50 oil. It's cleaned and recycled in China. I wouldn't put in my mower, let alone a car!

2. I know it's obvious but regular oils changes are the key to long engine life.

3. 20w/50 is the wrong grade for our cars - it's too thick. I know these little engines run hot but I just don't like it!
20/50 is best for use in 'A' series type engines where the engine oil does the gearbox as well.

4. If you want a multigrade use a 15w/40 such as good old castrol GTX, and dont worry about the semi synthetic magnatec version either. GTX will take you from -15deg to 35deg. More than good enough for the UK.
The Haynes manual for the 126 specifies GTX........but.......................

5. Consider monograde oil. I use Morris SAE30 monograde and I've never had an oil related issue in 20 years. It's perfect for air cooled cars and has no yucky chemicals that our engines dont require. I used to put it in my Beetles and VW campers and everyone I know also does. Some of the engines are highly tuned as well and it copes no problem. The Fiat 126 owner handbook also specifies SAE30 as an option.

That's it, just thought I'd add my opinion.... if it helps!  I'm loving that Orange FSM by the way, you won't lose that in a car park.