Author Topic: Brake shoe fitting help  (Read 3304 times)

Paullou126

Brake shoe fitting help
« on: December 31, 2018, 05:03:06 PM »
Hi not long had my 126 bis h reg I’ve just got a set of front brake shoes to fit to the front to finish of it’s recomission.
Will I need new adjusters if so where can I get them from thanks

Xylaquin

Re: Brake shoe fitting help
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 06:06:28 PM »
The adjusters are part of the shoes themselves.

Paullou126

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 06:28:28 PM »
Hi thanks I see now I was looking at the anchor pins and springs it’s been a long week thanks

tomviam

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:47:16 AM »
hi, while going to the technical inspection, the rear breakes which I replaced myself turned to be out of tolerance on braking test, everybody has told me I need to adjust the shoes but as you say, the adjusters are part of the shoe itself, then how can I solve the problem?

I only thought I need to take the break covers ( idk the english word) to polish it?

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 03:45:18 PM »
Your adjusters may have sized up Tom. If you remove the drum and lever the shoe in it should move on its adjuster without too much pressure. If they move ok try seeing if the wheel cylinder moves in and out on both ends by pushing them in they could be sized up to.
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Xylaquin

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 06:33:47 PM »
To adjust the brakes, go into reverse and speed up a bit- then suddenly slam the brakes.

tomviam

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 11:17:28 AM »
Your adjusters may have sized up Tom. If you remove the drum and lever the shoe in it should move on its adjuster without too much pressure. If they move ok try seeing if the wheel cylinder moves in and out on both ends by pushing them in they could be sized up to.
I replaced the whole break set. cylinders, shoes, springs... everything :(

tomviam

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 11:18:20 AM »
To adjust the brakes, go into reverse and speed up a bit- then suddenly slam the brakes.
whats the difference from doing it forwards?

Xylaquin

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 08:51:25 AM »
presumably since the car is being driven forward anyway, and the brakes are being used, they're already adjusted for that direction.

That explanation is probably nonsense, but honestly the reverse/slam process isn't!

tomviam

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 11:37:33 AM »
and anything else for explaining why after replacing the whole break kit, the compensation was out of the tolerance? In Spain, the tolerance to pass the technical inspection must be lower than 30% respect the other side break.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 05:11:53 PM »
Have you got the correct size wheel cylinders fitted? Rear ones look almost identical to the front ones but have a slightly wider body (thus increasing the brake efficiency) I fitted the wrong one once on one side and curiously is was about 25% out compared to the other side.

tomviam

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 11:36:48 AM »
Have you got the correct size wheel cylinders fitted? Rear ones look almost identical to the front ones but have a slightly wider body (thus increasing the brake efficiency) I fitted the wrong one once on one side and curiously is was about 25% out compared to the other side.
hmmm as far as I recall, yes both where the same...I will take another look, but let's assume both are the same, what can cause it? because the mechanism is very simple

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »
Well really it could only be either the shoes sticking on their adjusters which to be fair does happen or the wheel cylinder is seizing up. Those are the most joy two parts that move really.

There is another possible cause which could be the pipe or hose supplying the brake fluid to the cylinder. A kink in the line perhaps?

tomviam

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 01:23:51 PM »
Well really it could only be either the shoes sticking on their adjusters which to be fair does happen or the wheel cylinder is seizing up. Those are the most joy two parts that move really.

There is another possible cause which could be the pipe or hose supplying the brake fluid to the cylinder. A kink in the line perhaps?
as said, both are brand new :/ I will try running backwards and hit the break. Honestly, this happened 1 year ago when I took it to the inspection, I will have to go again in 3 months. I have been used the car for a while so it may be solved by the use.

Thanks for the replies.