Author Topic: return for Beryl  (Read 2450 times)

tim1968

return for Beryl
« on: November 07, 2013, 10:50:16 AM »
Hello all at club 126
I have recently purchased an air cooled '87 126 who is known on here as Beryl. I don't think it had been on the road for a while, dash was dismantled and the engine ran as lumpy as a sack of potatoes. The rear half of the car was excellent and shiny, but the bonnet had been either over T cut or had just been made patchy by the sun. There was a fair bit of corrosion to passenger front wing which required welding, and I did the battery shelf while about it. The car has now been stripped and rubbed down/filled etc and went to the spray shop (man in a shed) yesterday. The car will return red (on orders of Mrs ).
The car had been fitted with a new starter motor of the cable pull type, but has replaced a turn key one so I have had to disconnect the hot air lever from the vent and put the starter cable to that. I am now scouting around for a small lever/knob assembly for the hot air vent.
The doors were not aligned when I picked it up (7 hour round trip from Bournemouth to Southend) and I have had a look at them but can not quite work out how to line them up, currently they hang down by about 22-25mm on the closing side, any one have advice for putting them right? I have bought new carpets and badges and am on the hunt for some chrome mirrors (the bullet ones that were fitted have rusted through the chrome and you can not use them as they are not visable from inside the car).
I am glad to have joined the fraternity of 126 owners and I suspect will be on here a lot trying to get advice on how to do things right.
Tim

Pete126

• Administrator
Re: return for Beryl
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »
 :welcome To the club Tim, Great to see your getting on with the job and not just talking about it ;D
Pete.      il cavallo piccolo

DeVilleChris

• Subscribers
    • Club 126 UK
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »
Hello there, welcome to the club!
1979 Fiat 126 DeVille
1979 Fiat 900T Amigo

Hazey-n-Marc

• It's Hazey's car, she does let me fix it sometimes
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »
Welcome to the club, nice to see Beryl back, I went to see her a week after she was rescued from the pond. Not surprised she was running a bit lumpy.

Marc

Amateb8

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum!

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 02:18:08 PM »
Hi
Door aliment would have been tough after it got lifted from the lake . The straps went through the door windows. And the drivers door was crow barred open.
The dash was in place when I sold it to the guy in Southend. I’d bolted the steering column in place, as it was snapped off when stolen.
The lights problem was a dodgy indicator stalk, it had been fixed temporarily.
Engine ran as sweet as a nut but: there is a you tube video of the water putting out of it after the swim.
It’s a shame he didn’t tell you the full story.

I’m pleased it’s back on the road.

Originally it belonged to Chris the guy that originally started this forum.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 08:25:24 PM »
Holy thread revival batman!  :P
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D