Author Topic: Freddie  (Read 10910 times)

fixit

Freddie
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:09:21 PM »
I thought id better start a restro thread on Freddie
here was my first post on my intentions

Hi there
i own freddie the fiat 126 Bis since 2004 and its time to finally have some engine power not a flintstone powered one in other words push!!
i was told by my local car part supplier that 126 parts were extinct, what a shock to discover places suggested on this forum,
 i will be honest i was drooling at those part pictures, with all the excitment or madness that i could finally get freddie on road and planning forgot to say hello and thankyou..
ive also been told im mad to take this on. lol Undecided  but its something ive wanted to do as soon as i saw 126, for some reason these cars just make me smile,.
 im  wondering if you can fit tow bars to these do witter do one?, would be ace to tow a small trailer 200kg for those jobs that a wheel barrow cannot do, but a car interior would get clarty.

freddie condition is quite well i let you judge
the lack of interior heater, wiper arms, wipers, brake fluid bottle and pipes, washer bag then the coolant leak from water pump were obvious when i aquired freddie
 and lastweek someone reversed into the front o/s winker cry. 

engine wise which is currently attached to gearbox on kitchen top Grin
think has got stuck valve judging by lack of eye brows by carb blow back last winter, (happen while in car)
tappets will need adjustment,
 new seal for rocker cover,
 gearbox needs oil and sealing and breather checking (thinking about a 5th gear mod any good?)
may as well fit clutch kit while out.
gear stick is like a stirring spoon is that the doughnut bushes or rubber link in gear selector rod?
waterpump seals leak even with new fitted so will need to find out why (perhaps shaft worn?)
needs new HT leads the kick from the split one was a blooming shock
already done the crankshaft oil spinner is there some thing in sump i should be cleaning?
fitting seals where necessary x changing oils
changing brake pipes
checking shoes, i may at a later date upgrade to discs the first corner i come to will tell me
body paint  badly needs a re spray so stripping everything right out
window winder turns window doesnt move
door locks seized (my fault for not oiling)
fitting new front seats aquire years ago Grin
cleaning carpets
then final re assembly hopefully for mot
then i finally get to drive, cant wait Grin

thankyou for reading
fixit
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:24:15 PM by fixit »

fixit

Re: Freddie
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »
ive made a start on the engine
my first problem was the water pump seals leaking
so i took the sump off to take a closer look
the water pump shaft was badly corroded so had to be renewed
the seal looked ok but looking at the manuel and at the sump showed a different seal i had only fitted like for like, so it looks like it had had issues
a simple knock in of the new seal and new shaft hopefully should of sorted and a clean up of the strainer and first job is ticked off

next job was to remove crank pully to clean and renew seal on the timing case, the bolt was easy to undo the socket is 32mm
then the 10mm bolts and engine mount and dizzy then the timing cover releases,
i used a punch to knock the seal out from the inside, replacing was also done from inside chain side carefully with tapping stick once flush with inside,
while cleaning timing cover, noticed some shiny marks the chain must of been rubbing was going to change this and the cogs anyway

you just line the dots up remove the cogs replace with new then turning twice afterwards to check dots line up, my first attempt after 2 turns the marks were out by 2 points, re timing again and turning twice seemed to sort the dots the keyway stops the crank being out and the camshaft sprocket will only line up the bolt holes in one way fit with chain attached

next job was to check tappet/ valve clearance using a big 32 spanner on flats of crankshaft and spark plugs out i negociated the rocker cover out between the exhaust pipes
the gap is mm and is the same for both inlet and exhaust (will just check notes for mm)

ever get that feeling should just check something, even though there was no play i removed the crankshaft shell bearings the crankshaft is ok and with in standard tolerance but the bearings are coppered on the con rod top side
bah humbug seeking advice (thankyou everyone) i decided to get new replacements and new main end bearings which have now arrived
ive dismantled the timing chain and struggled with the cross screws on the timing side of the main bearing, one screw had to be punched to loosen im awaiting replacements of these screw bolts.
the starter and gearbox were removed, then the clutch assembly then the flywheel, im pleased to say the main bearing bolts undid and after a good wiggle slide out to show coppering on the bottom.
due to 2 weeks of man flu not had chance to reassemble

fixit

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:35:02 PM »
 today the weathers been sunny and warm and dispite a throbbing headache ive stripped some of the interior,

and had a laugh removing the seats, there i was searching for the seat runner bolts and there weren't any, just slid them forward and they come out just imagine if id not clicked then in right and braked hard, well the image of that sudden movement made me laugh any how (strange sense of humor can only send apologies)

the seat belt bolts are blooming hard to shift 17mm next to the b post on floor
once carpet removed and sound mat the floor looks ok
i moved onto the other side expecting holes but again nothing although the brake pipe has been replaced as there is the tell tale sign of previous brake fluid leak, paint lifted should there be a grommet round the brake pipe in the bulk head or the air gap that's left
 the next funny thing was under the rear seat there's an added extra
a rock help supports the edge of the base seat keeping it off the fuel pipes wire harness and washer jet pipe
perhaps i will keep it

shopping list will include some plastic retainer things the old ones refused gentle pulling, and ended up stretched
also need some roof lining plastic retainer things, ive had to remove the roof lining (it came out in one!!) because the panel that the rear boot hatch, bolts to has tea rusted bagged the roof welds onto this panel, so will need to locate a new panel one or make one

still got the dash remove for the painting
  that's all for today

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:28:35 PM by fixit »

fixit

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 01:41:38 PM »
an update
 ordered some new plastic rivets http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009T8IMS6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ive decided to use screw ones in the hope that any future repairs behind panels will be easier to get at
using vernier calipers I determined the old ones were 6mm

also ordered yesterday
 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004JIYD16/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to sort the head lining
just read the tin it says can be used for plastic then not to use on plasticised pvc  
 I was hoping to use a cream coloured faux leather vinyl to make cleaning easier
 what exactly is vinyl made out of?

on the bis headlining the wood structure has approx. 6mm holes approx 10mm apart so the fabric could be sewn to the wood

ive had the grey carpets in the washing machine (one carpet at a time) 30degree c they were badly stained and soiled the carpets have cleaned and dried really well without loosing the shaping and indents
 later I will Nikwax the carpets and the coverings to give a breathable waterproof finish.. (it works really well on tents when in rain so hopefully the interior fabric will dry faster on those wet days)

the gear stick boot is split on freddie bis how do I get the gear knob to release to fit a new one?
is there a hidden clip or does it simply screw undone?
where is the horn located? it doesnt work or has been borrowed
thanks again for reading
Fixit
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:35:30 PM by fixit »

fixit

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 04:27:39 PM »
 just popped in while the crankshaft seal for rear bearing is in fridge
seal refuses to get started  :$ with little t'ammer so rather than destroy thought cooling would shrink slightly
hopefully this will work???

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:27:04 PM by fixit »

Kent126

• Closer every day to getting on the road....
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »
just popped in while the crankshaft seal for rear bearing is in fridge
seal refuses to get started  :$ with little t'ammer so rather than destroy thought cooling would shrink slightly
hopefully this will work???

I used to use my fridge to repair my old scratched CD's! Dont ask how it works but it does!  ;D

Tom
1974 Italian Fiat 126 TA
1996 Fiat Cinquecento Sporting
2008 Fiat Panda 100HP

fixit

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 02:50:28 AM »
 never tried cd cooling trick out ;D ;D I have a scooter cd that keeps jumping might try it out thanks for that, will have to evict the ice cream :P

cooling idea didn't work on the seal with heating the bearing in hot water :( (it does with gudgeon pins / little ends and pistons)
 ended up sanding the paint off the outer edge of seal after checking twice with verniers and micro meter that it was the right seal
but still refused to go in  :o
so more wet and dry sanding till shiney and a bigger t'ammer the seal went in, perhaps was a bit fed up so hit it harder but not hard enough to damage  ;D went in like a knife through butter once started,  :-X  ;D
hopefully the other parts will fall into place

been reading up on welding methods for the body work ect found this interweb site (no connection ect..) which for a complete novice outlines the good bad and really!!

http://www.markthewelder.co.uk/id26.html

thank you for all the help so far

heres a few pictures not in order

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:40:26 PM by fixit »

fixit

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 11:25:17 PM »
been drilling spot welds to remove rear middle panel and the front panel wings  ;D
only a 126 could you lift the boot engine cover and stand in the gap to drill with engine out

removing the hatch, needs 13mm socket or spanner
2 clips on the boot stays
and the rear seat passenger side trim this is to disconnect the wiring and washer jet

stripping down found the front bumper side connection has been damaged unfortunately there is no bit to stick back on so will need a re-think

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:11:39 PM by fixit »

fixit

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 05:05:56 PM »
by heck there's another 26 spots inside Freddie, for rear panel still to drill out!!!! :$  :o
muscles still abit delicate after yesterdays drilling session  ::)

just got me fire proof overalls but they seem to be smaller than the cheaper ones and do not have as much give in the material  :o returning for upgrade size for quicker easier exit ???
seems can only wash 25 times at 40 degree c

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:47:45 PM by fixit »

fixit

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 07:49:09 PM »
life changes have given delays to the restoration, but
a little change of direction using the backing, but making a new front, due to the state of the front fabric

fixit

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
2 more pictures of seat design.
there was another long break before started on the gearbox resealing
http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11044.msg80964#msg80964

cleaned  out the engine again and finding the timing cover gasket over hung the sump area, using a Stanley blade removed the excess, checked all bolts again for torque before refitting sump, alternator, checked the torque of the crankshaft pulley,
its at this point added oil 15w40, and turned the flywheel and pulley discovering the oil pump does work ;D, x oil appeared in the centrifugal pulley :$
quickly catching and fitting the cover.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:05:22 PM by fixit »

fixit

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 08:15:45 PM »
moved onto the rockers, to remove and clean
removed the carb and inlet manifold
to change gaskets / seals

the engine did backfire before removal several years ago, the fault was a pushrod not quite in right place.. some more cleaning

sanded down the rocker /valve cover, applied bilt hamber hydrate 80 left in front of fire, left 24 hours then sprayed over some gloss black. baked over fire on a pan.
 ;D

fixit

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 08:36:04 PM »
fitted the clutch
using a fork handle :o  ;D was the only circular item of the right size to align the clutch plate ;D ;D ;D
made me chuckle thinking of the two Ronnies sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUNVFrRy-cE

then moved onto refitting the exhaust
the exhaust ??? considering came off, its amazing how refuses to line up, to rebolt on.
the battle commences  :$

fixit

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 09:11:11 PM »
the exhaust
still didn't line up,
removed the only nut holding, pushed engine over onto clutch side and a wooden block
and hoped the  new dipstick seal held.

dug out the tap and dies m8 1.25
set to restoring and cleaning the exhaust threads on the head, there was unpassable crud in there :o

the interesting point is the earth wire, on the hanging plate, the stud which it was bolted to has welded itself in place in the head.
the threads were in a terrible state, the stud should be removed and replaced but it wont release.. the exhaust mounting stud is also welded ::)
the earth wire will be relocated onto starter.

while engine at strange angle managed to, line up exhaust, add gasket and bolt exhaust into position
the whole process took 1h30mins for 2 bolts and 2 nuts..

fixit

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »
the oil / engine additive arrived today ;D  (edit: not fitted in fiat)
the benefits hopefully will reduce friction in engine, meaning less friction.

car and all parts for sale as one lot

for sale is my 126 bis water cooled 704cc selling due to ill health
£1800.00
49991miles
1990year
price reflects the parts 

many parts fitted: methods were mentioned in the restoration thread.
timing cogs and chain,
crankshaft oil seals,
crankshaft bearings and shells,
new oil sump due to alternator bracket being worn and water pump seals not sealing on the shaft,
new oil / water pump shaft,
preowned crankshaft pulley the original was cracked,
new clutch,
new starter,
new exhaust,
 new mechanical fuel pump,
 new oil sensor,
 new dip stick
brake bottle and pipes
 gear box mountings,
 drive shafts and boots
thermostat

to fit
new front panel,wings and indicator panel. metal to make rear panel
new fuel tank,
 wiper arms / wipers, washer jets washer bottle,
brake master cylinder,
 metal brake pipes,
 preowned heater, (there was no heater in car)
 gear stick gaitor,
 chrome bumpers,
new door card pocket,
 new door mirrors
new ht leads

there is also 2 new copper head gaskets

extras include grey fabric for roof lining and  blue fabric for seats, a singer 128k hand crank sewing machine set up to complete the seat refurb,
 panel wipe,
 15w40 engine oil,
preowned jvc head with cd auto changer,

http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7980.0

also advertised here https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/fiat/126/279107

ring or text if interested in the whole lot,
located North Yorkshire..

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:00:16 PM by fixit »