Author Topic: Another bike engined project bites the dust :(  (Read 43394 times)

Gadge

• Subscribers
Another bike engined project bites the dust :(
« on: November 04, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »
I know I get on my soap box when it comes to bike engined 126's and this is why

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-126-/301378450183?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item462b8e3307

This car was driven to its current location where it's engine and box was pulled out in preperation for a bike engine transplant, Only (and to no surprise!  :o) for the project to not materialise further than that and now an engineless 126 is now up for grabs. This cars fate is now probably sealed as who chuff is going to put this car back on the road. I can only hope someone will - or at least use the parts to help keep another on the road but I fear that it'll end up on the scrap heap...... Like so many others :(
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 05:20:50 PM by Gadge »
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

mrsgoody76

Re: Another bike engined project bites the dust :(
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 06:37:34 PM »
I'm keeping an eye on that one as a spares car and have plans for the shell when finished.
Sorry if that upsets anyone :$

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »
No at least some good might come of it. I'm just hoping that if it doesn't sell the owner may just take it down the scrap yard and be done with it

dom.kellett

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 06:48:10 PM »
If anyone does fancy buying my engine to slam in it I may consider once I've done mine?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drcdb15

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 12:21:47 AM »
At least the rolling shell looks to be sound and in good cosmetic condition. I once answered an advert for 126 parts  from a guy who wanted the "personal" registration. In fact, it wasn't personal at all, it was some combination that included "K9" and he wanted to transfer it from the 126 to his new car 'for his dog'. But in order to do this, he had (at the time, I don't know if it's different now) to prove to DVLA that the original car was either permanently exported or permanently scrapped. So he took out all the trim and interior - literally, EVERYTHING, hence the advert for spares. And then he cut the shell up into about 5 or 6 sections with an angle grinder. I arrived at his house (in St Asaph) to find a skip in the front drive with all these parts of 126 body shell in it, like some grotesque giant Rubiks cube. It was clear the car had been in fine condition, and it was quite sickening, to see such wanton vandalism all just to get a pathetic novelty registration. There are some sad people out there...

However, remember that as these people scrap perfectly good cars, the rarity of those that are left goes up, and so does their value. I had to scrap my little Giardiniera in 1987 due to moving house, and the car was so rusty it couldn't be moved without it falling apart. Today a Giardiniera in good condition is worth over £10,000. This will come for the 126 in time, too.

skoda_norman

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 12:51:03 PM »
I am not adverse to modified cars - infact I would say that I generally applaud them - and that includes well turned out engine conversions. Done correctly they can make for some sublime machines. But I have to say it does sadden me when you see another 126 destined for the scrap pile because someone had ideas above and beyond his station.

What a shame.

skoda_norman

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 12:51:44 PM »
PS: What is a Giardiniera?

I've never heard of one....

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 05:04:12 PM »
It's an estate 500 - air cooled Classic version with an engine that lies on its side very much like a BIS

Scarlettkitten

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 06:58:30 PM »
It is a shame when people don't complete these things and they get scrapped.

I love modified classics me, just no butchered ones.  I've got my FIRE engine coming soon so I'll start my own conversion but rest assured It'll either be good or I won't start it.
1990 126 BIS

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »
Sadly people don't realise the amount of work involved but mostly they don't realise that the chance is the car will never be registered for use on UK roads.
Do your homework first.

Its the old story, We all know a 911 engine fits in a beetle. A bike engine fits in a mini. A Subaru engine fits a T25. NO IT DOESNT ! It a huge amount of work and a lot of cash.

Not that I'm ever one to moan. So many people over the years on the site asking about engine swaps, most end up on Ebay or scrapped. Sad very sad.

Scarlettkitten

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 06:15:57 PM »
Couldn't agree more, I'm no stranger to fabrication though and what ever I do will be bolt on / off-able :)

1990 126 BIS

mrsgoody76

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 06:21:35 PM »
Sadly people don't realise the amount of work involved but mostly they don't realise that the chance is the car will never be registered for use on UK roads.
Do your homework first.

Its the old story, We all know a 911 engine fits in a beetle. A bike engine fits in a mini. A Subaru engine fits a T25. NO IT DOESNT ! It a huge amount of work and a lot of cash.

Not that I'm ever one to moan. So many people over the years on the site asking about engine swaps, most end up on Ebay or scrapped. Sad very sad.

We own a T25 and my hubby enquired about the cost to fit a scooby engine in it.
He was given quotes of £4500 to £6500 depending on which engine we had put in  :o
Needless to say, we just had the original aircooled engine reconditioned.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 03:25:34 PM »
And another one...... This ones been floating on ebay on and off for months. Nearly there mind you but still no one wants it :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171575320641
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:27:20 PM by Gadge »

Scarlettkitten

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 04:00:02 PM »
Shame, I've just put the BIS engine back in mine, missed driving it :D

1990 126 BIS

dombooth

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 04:26:40 PM »
And another one...... This ones been floating on ebay on and off for months. Nearly there mind you but still no one wants it :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171575320641

Localish too!

Dom