Author Topic: whats happened to the garage section?  (Read 9484 times)

Tomasz

whats happened to the garage section?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 01:29:44 PM »
I dont care what mods people are doing, i want to hear about it all.  I will hopefully be posting a full run through of the panda head conversion and problems i had etc along with some pics (im hoping to finish it tonight!).  In my opinion the more that is documented the better!

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 04:39:51 PM »
I just don't think it is a lot of money, cheaper than a Haynes manual. Most other clubs have a limited forum for non members. The club costs money to run, the few quid is hardly going to ruin anyone.
Whay do others feel it should be free for some but not for others?
Not trying to stir anything up, just asking.

126dave

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 06:53:48 PM »
as an overseas 126er theres not a lot of point in me being a member? i cannot attend all your events,not that there is room for even one more 126 because they are so well attended???............ha ha

why should i pay up and take a 300 quid ferry to meet with,if im lucky,3-4 other cars/owners????

if paying up to share my modest tuning bits and bobs is an issue i shall bid you all farewell..................i thought i was contributing to the 126 scene.....if i gota pay as well,....well,i'll see yall another time.

rumour has it that halfords are doing a good deal on colour coded valve caps guys.........RUN
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

126dave

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2007, 06:57:53 PM »
oh and if i do get booted off here mods,can you please delete any info/help/advice i have given on various threads?.only fair eh? i dont pay you dont gain.

meuton

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 07:15:02 PM »
Quote from: "dajwid"
I just don't think it is a lot of money, cheaper than a Haynes manual. Most other clubs have a limited forum for non members. The club costs money to run, the few quid is hardly going to ruin anyone.
Whay do others feel it should be free for some but not for others?
Not trying to stir anything up, just asking.

well where do i start as an avid car enthusiast and owning a number of classics myself I will pull in the example of the RSSOC (Scimitar owners club) which has one of the most popular and sucessful yahoo groups based forum around with over 350 post a week on everything from fault diagnosis to paint to noggins etc I have ever heard anyone ever ask the question if these "enthusuasts" should be forced to members of a club who's facilities they may never use or have no interest in for what ever reason.  

Again taking myself as an example what use is a club membership for a club where i can never attend the events dues to 500 miles of motorway between me and the club meets?  As far as i am aware you join a club for the social aspect of your interest, you join a forum to exchange ideas which is what i thought i was doing when i raised the previous questions on this thread

cheers Doug
Its slow but it does it in style !!

f500126

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 07:25:38 PM »
The forum will probably be changed a lot in the future. The paid membership of the club has now ceased (I do not know if there are intentions to start membership again?), when the present web hosting service expires the forum will either stop or possibly go to a free hosting service with a basic thread type board. The garage section will no longer exist if this does happen. The only reason that the forum is still running is for the benefit of the paid club members.

The running of the forum does cost money and it’s a lot of work maintaining the forum. So for free forum members to think it runs on fresh air it just doesn’t work that way and like other paid members have stated it is not a fair system.

meuton

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 07:30:57 PM »
well if thgat is the case that this forum is only meant for paid up members then i suggest those interested join the free yahoo forum for 126's where they can post as many pics as they fancy lol link:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/fiat126/

cheers a somewhat disalusioned Doug

126dave

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 07:36:05 PM »
oh dear.............

126dave

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 07:38:08 PM »
ok,im outa here.........bye.

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 09:14:23 PM »
Personally I think it should be fully paid up members only, to most of the forum.

For those who can't read English. This was my personal view. I stick by it. £16 is not a lot at all for the info obtained.
People pop in ask a question and go away, never adding anything to the forum, never helping other members. Why should this all be free. Most clubs would keep much of the help in a members section.

Sorry Dave if it offends you, but Sixteen quid :???: , the money goes towards the running costs of the club. If that is a problem, I am really suprised.

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 09:19:14 PM »
The reason why the Yahoo club is not used is because it is not of much use, very few members, even fewer pictures, and hardly any info.

But as you proudly say it is free, sometimes you get what you pay for.

jpimpao

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 10:18:51 PM »
Hi,
It is only £16.00 a year, it should be for paid members only, why bother for the people who doesn`t want to be a member.
Most of the times i can`t go to club events but it doesn`t mean that I should be able get all information I need to fix my car in this site for free, is not fair for some to pay for the others who doesn`t want to spend  Ã‚£16.00. I do agree with Dajwid, just get a Haynes Manual.
Jorge

meuton

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 10:28:33 PM »
ok on that vane

1. your not talking about a club, your talking about a company

2.  My consultancy fee runs at £75 an hour plus expenses

3.  I want a percentage cut off the membership for everyone who uses one of    my tips

4. can you tell me me please what highly valuable and secret information you have contributed to the forum?

every other forum for car "enthusiasts" is free as they are meeting point of lots of people to exchange ideas about the same subject area, can you please give an example of a car club forum which other than requireing you join the forum (for free with email) actually excludes you if your not a member of the car club?

Doug

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 10:34:06 PM »
Quote from: "meuton"
ok on that vane

1. your not talking about a club, your talking about a company

2.  My consultancy fee runs at £75 an hour plus expenses

3.  I want a percentage cut off the membership for everyone who uses one of    my tips

4. can you tell me me please what highly valuable and secret information you have contributed to the forum?

every other forum for car "enthusiasts" is free as they are meeting point of lots of people to exchange ideas about the same subject area, can you please give an example of a car club forum which other than requireing you join the forum (for free with email) actually excludes you if your not a member of the car club?

Doug

I think you have the wrong end of the stick!

The proposition was to restrict certain sections of the forum for the free members. There are many other club forums who operate this type of system.

meuton

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 10:42:53 PM »
chris
Restrict to what gain? I fail to understand the purpose of this action? and again i ask you to qualify your answer with a real life example of this? and no i don't think i have got the wrong end of the stick, it seems certain members think information should be restricted to members only as if they are the only people providing insightfull information which simply is not the case and i use the the RSSOC or Porsche club or better still the VAG forum as an example where this question would never even arise as all information from "enthusiasts" of the mark are welcomed in a positive light.

i mean seriously do you think this is an exclusive mark like a maserati or Jensen? the forum should be encouraing as much positive input as possible and encouraging interst in the mark.   its only then you can talk about creating noggins and club meets when you have a national spread of interest and a positve will to exchange ideas and opinions!!!!!!!!!  

Cheers Doug