Author Topic: 1990 Bis rolling restoration.  (Read 22481 times)

Henmiester

Re: 1990 Bis rolling restoration.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »
Done a few more miles today in "jeff". Timing just out. Wd40 hasnt cured the sticking accelerator cable. Will have to strip down the pedal. Cured the excessive vibrations coming from the engine. I had done the rear mount up too tight so there was no movement. Wiring in a fan over fuse switch tomorrow to prevent any issues.

Henmiester

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »
Today took off the go fastet pedal and greased it all up whilst there greased up the gear lever. All move so much better now. Done a total of 140 miles since we got him back.  Running better each day. Still vibrating too much for my liking so will check underneath for any obvious reasons why. The horn decided it wanted to come on for no apparant reason so will have to sort that out too.

dom.kellett

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 08:48:58 PM »
For the horn going off uncontrolably, pop off the piece of steering wheel you press in order to hear the horn, check both the springs are straight, and the metal ring is straight I had Same problem lol scared me to death

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henmiester

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 08:57:58 PM »
Cheers. Had to take it all to bits steering wheel off clean up the contact points. Works fine now well it sound pants but it is an old car.   

Henmiester

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 09:09:23 PM »
Today greased the kingpins. Makes a world of difference. Nice and light steering now. Sorted out more of the cabin vibrations. I had not tightend all the nuts on the back panel so it was vibrating like made. Read through old posts on here to find out what was causing the issues first. As some one else was bound to have had the same problem as us. Its a great source of information well worth the subscription. Also fixed the water leak into the cabin that was soaking the carpets. One door didnt have any plastic film covering the holes. When i parked facing down hill water would run down the a pillar and into the sill. Someone had removed one of the plastic grommets so water could pour straight in. Plugged it all up now and waxoyled everything.  Did another 200 miles this week. Looking at doing some sound proofing to stop the rattling and vibrations a bit more.

Mics126

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 09:23:18 PM »
sounds like your realy getting stuck in and its all working if your able to do that mileage. :good:

mike

dom.kellett

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »
Yeah, great to hear your getting it all sorted! They are a great fun little car to work on, and fairly easy even for a young novice such as myself, hope to hear you sort it all soon :)

Henmiester

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »
Thanks guys. I know i was lucky as mine was a runner when i bought it. Looking at some of the work being done on some other cars mine was easy. I wish i had the skill of Irish126. Just trying to make it reliable and comfortable as much as i can without taking the charm out of these little cars that attracted us to him in the first place.

shielsy

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 12:44:22 AM »
thanks for that but am like the rest of ye self taught , cant afford to pay some one so i do what i can get help with what i cant , i do your welding u do my wiren etc barter system owenn w :D

poxxxy

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 12:31:55 AM »
I've got a nice water leak into my cabin at the minute... was running out from the steering wheel cowling and then onto the floor... with the front jacked up the back drivers side carpet was soaked :(. Not sure where its coming from... there is a small hole on the windscreen on the passenger side... perhaps running in from there somewhere?
My 1991/2 Fiat 126 BIS Restoration: http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8559.90

shielsy

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 09:31:23 AM »
u can buy smoke testers , its like s small fire lighter u light it , it doesnt burn but smokes like hell place it inside the car and see where the smoke comes out very safe , and only a couple of pounds , used for checking chimneys etc owen nw

Mics126

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 09:17:18 PM »
it sounds like you have the same problem as me poxxxy. i have had a water leak on my drivers side for about three years. i think its from the steering wheel cowling area. there is the hole where all the wires go from the boot(front) into the cabin i have a feeling its from there but i have never had time to investigate. if you do find out can you please tell us because it would save a lot of pain.

on a side note i have a leak on my passingers side on my other 126, if theres any common fault with that it would be helpfull (its the only trouble with buying a car designed in a country where it hardly rains continuously :P).

Mike

Henmiester

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
Just installed some sound deadening( silent coat) to the floor made a noteable difference. Ears no longer seem to burn.  Stopped a lot of the high frequency noise. Gonna do the roof when funds allow. Its not night and day but makes a difference to comfort.

Henmiester

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 09:36:38 PM »
Just sound proofed the roof. Makes a hell of a difference. Going to re do the headlining in black suede. Does anyone need the measurement for the headlining card.

dom.kellett

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 10:23:28 PM »
How much does it cost for the materials to sound proof? I'm expecting to be putting a scooby engine in so think I'll be deaf in under 2 minutes if not lol