Author Topic: 150 ish Bhp  (Read 25606 times)

Tommy D

• http://www.myspace.com/foundtom
150 ish Bhp
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:19:19 AM »
hey peeps, i am a novice with the 126 so bear with me.

Id like to know what engines fit the 126, or what boost the standard engine and crank can take as i was thinking of boosting one.

Id like the car to handle well, be quick on accell. Iv seen clips of some 126's shifting. Will a Bike engine swap over ok? Id like to ditch the 600cc standard engine, and drop in a 1.0L plus boosted one...

Any reccomendations you guys have would be great. I also think they have drums all round, does anyone make 4pot callipers and rotors?

Also what wheels can i get id like 10-12" deep dish wheels if possible, suspension (coilovers?) links would be great? thanks for reading.

If i have frustrated anyone with my lack of knowledge it is because i have not brought the car yet and i wanna weigh up potential as i always get my cars to show level asap.

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
150 ish Bhp
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:59:11 AM »
mate i see it  time and time again. "im gonna buy a 126 and lump a v8 in it and a turbo...will be easy" months later car is back on ebay, or being scrapped because the person has mucked up the project or"needs the space" If you want speed dont bother with a 126 go and buy a nice 1.1 ford fiesta. (they even do those flashing washer jets for them, fake dump valves, and those £50 resistors that add 15bhp)

If you are not a highly skilled mechanic with spare time and have the patience, forget it, you will need to be a millionaire.

sorry to be blunt but its the way it is! :wink:  

p.s you will enjoy a 126 more with a standard engine.
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

hudsonhenry

• http://www.retro500.com
150 ish Bhp
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 01:12:38 AM »
The most power (without spending a fortune) you will get out of the 650 twin is around 35-40bhp at the wheels. Most tuned 500s, 650-700, panda 30 head, decent carb, sports exhaust and cam will put out around 30 at the wheels – about 35 at the flywheel. The fastest racing engines are getting up to 65-70 at the flywheel but you will need a steel crank and rods and the engine will need to be revved beyond 7500 rpm and will therefore need to be rebuilt every few thousand miles and will have no bottom end power.

There have been several bike conversions and the light weight of the 126 makes it an ideal candidate for this, the biggest problem is the lack of reverse or the cost of a reversing diff, and the potential loss of the rear seats.

If you have a look at this site: http://www.126fan.pl/

They feature conversions from 1050 pushrod fiat Uno engines, Uno turbos, Fiat fire engines and even a wheelie pulling 1.9 VW turbo diesel engine.

I have recently fitted an 1108 Fire engine from a Seicento Sporting into my 500 attached to a 126 gearbox. It sticks out a bit at the back of a 500 but I think it fits under the engine cover of the longer 126. These 1108 or 1242 engines can be tuned to over 100bhp at the wheels quite easily and if you can find an all alloy 1368 from a new Grande Punto then 150bhp will be quite easy to get (that would give you a power to weight ratio of about 300bhp per ton) You would need to strengthen the gearbox but parts are available – I am researching this at the moment myself.

I have a conversion kit for the 126 box to fire engine that I might sell for the right price ( I made two of everything when I did the bits for mine). I also have the tuned 650 that I took out of my car that was rebuilt about 5000 miles ago. I am planning to sell this soon as well.

Good luck

Nigel
http://www.retro500.com the site dedicated to modified Fiat 500's

slammed 66

150 ish Bhp
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 03:18:59 AM »
I can see im going to get burned quite badly here  :lol:

126dave

150 ish Bhp
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 05:28:42 PM »
heres my tuppence worth,if your going to re engine a 126,choose a bis,they mostly have knackered motors anyway and can be bought for nowt with headgasket failure,please leave the aircooleds alone.

then if the magic project doesnt come off,another aircooled is saved.

either of the cars will require lots of a,patience,b, money,.with that kind of wishfull BHP,your gna have to start with a mint body,then seam weld it,then fabricate subframes etc etc etc etc etc..........................and after all that your still gna have to sort handling etc......and,then, any hot saxo at tescos will still be quicker.........

i look forward to another super tuned 126 hitting the road rather than ebay in bits tho,let me know how to get rid of my bumpsteer and i'll be forever in your debt.
 :cool:
also,nice to have someone posting!
28-34c and cold beers in the fridge

dajwid

• Subscribers
150 ish Bhp
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 09:08:57 PM »
Cor! you don't know nothing about tuning.
I've got the engine in, sounds great, the original gearboxes are pretty tough so should manage, I've changed the front brake shoes to Halfords ones. They give more stopping power. Handling was easy just cut a bit off the rear springs with an angle grinder. I put 3 bags of cement mix in the front to keep her on the road.
I guess I have about 900 BHP looking for a Nos kit next push it up to about 1500Bhp

Beat that!!

126dave

150 ish Bhp
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 09:19:51 PM »
nice,very nice,at least that dream made it into reality eh? LOL  :lol: still reckon my knobend tuning nova would beat it...init?...of course,i would be wearing my (stolen) nomex 'hoodie' if i were to race you,safety first,i nearly died when the neons on/under my maxpower saxo went up in flames.............................................. :cool:

Chris Lakin

• http://www.fiat126.co.uk
150 ish Bhp
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 10:18:06 PM »
hhaha :D:D:D:D

hilarious stuff,
+ SKYPE USERNAME: fiat126.co.uk
+ CLUB (ENQUIRIES): [email protected]

PaulB

150 ish Bhp
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 07:39:56 PM »
Just how fast do you want to go? While the Fiat 500 is a little lighter and more aerodynamic, the highly tuned Abarth 695 SS was racing at over 110mph with a mere 38 bhp.

This is just a personal point of view, but I think ramming a huge lump into a 126 is like scrapheap challenge - it will be a great laugh getting there, and the car will probably be a real laugh if it actually moves at all,  but the end result is going to be a bit of a novelty - a rod.

The other route is to follow Abarth and others and squeeze as much as you can by tuning a stock 126. Just as much fun, but the end result (for me anyway) would be much more satisfying.

On the welding up the bodywork, I'm no expert, but wouldn't a seam welded body handle like sh*t as it will be as stiff as a brick?

On bike conversions,  from what I've read, most attempts at bike engine swaps have been disappointments. There is often a lack of torque, and there are also good reasons why cars are not chain driven - the chain is more likely to snap than the car is to move.

126dave

150 ish Bhp
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 08:11:50 PM »
hey paul......evryone to there own,but,i agree,the 126/500 in my little opinion is better with the old scool style of modding....but then,im just an old git,an i like the way my buzzbomb goes and sounds.
i can see the need for more ooomph,id like it sometimes,but i cannot get away from the feeling that water cooled 4 cyl motors just dont belong............BUT,and its a big J'LO sized one,it must be nice to have that extra BHP sometimes eh?.........................

PaulB

150 ish Bhp
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 09:25:51 PM »
It really is each to their own and I'm not trying to say that big lumps are bad - but they do produce frankenstein cars. Fun, but frankenstein.

What I'd really, really like is a decent gearbox :D

126dave

150 ish Bhp
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 07:10:19 PM »
i agree,that would be money well spent,to make the use of the 30 bhp...........i think 1 way forward tho for beter shifts,is a lighter flywheel,im going down that route,been chatting to Ruud,and he can supply a lightened balenced one.........i may even try the Bis driven plate in it this time(bruce).and i think i'll fit an light alloy fan as well

PaulB

150 ish Bhp
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 08:18:58 PM »
It will be interesting to see how that goes - do you know the weight? I've seen that Pasquale is selling a 3.8kg one. I'm too chicken for that.

I can handle the grumpy change, its the high revs at speed I want to deal with. I regularly drive long distance and 5th gear would help the engine a lot. I need to find out if 5th gear kits will do the trick, or just move fourth down, if that makes sense. There is room for improvement with a 5th as 4th isn't quite straight through 1:1

There's the BIS crownweel/pinion option, but I'm not sure how much I'd loose torque-wise, so may end up changing down more. I think a Panda head would be essential for that - mines still sat around along with a heap of other bits of engines....

Tommy D

• http://www.myspace.com/foundtom
150 ish Bhp
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 11:11:47 AM »
Hey guys thanks for the feedback, i have looked inside and i can see the engine cooling fan runs onto the inlet duct, almost as if the engine is very mildly supercharged.

As for a few comments about buying Fiesta etc, I have a Tuned 220bhp Mazda originaly 133bhp with a Turbo Conversion going on, iv already swapped engines and stripped with Forged internals, also im geting a R32 Skyline and dropping in a RB26 GTR engine, setup to 500Bhp for drifting. Im compitent enough to do something on the little fiat. Having a closer look around the car i think i'll keep with std engine for a bit. Iv now decided that i think a R1 or 1.3GSXR Hayabousa engine will be sufficient, i think ill have to chop the rear bulkhead slightly, i may remove rear seats completely. I'll lower the compression so i can run sufficient boost too.

Thanks for the feedback guys, im getting the vibe that a few on here are not quite convinced.

What ill do is do it and ill post up my progress along the way. I think the cars are classics, im aware they are classics so i will be honest from the outset. I want the car looking clean and original from the outside with chrome bumpers etc, but the interior will be a different story. Due to the nature of these old classics, original parts that i am not using or finished with, ie the two engines i have, interior, trim, wheels, etc i will post up and you are welcome too as i believe these little cars deserve to be kept in best possible condition and if i can help originals i will, if im not using it, its yours.  :cool: thanks

126dave

150 ish Bhp
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 01:39:48 PM »
well, paul,i see what you mean,that does not really affect me at the mo,but will in K.L....i get the feeling 5 speed box will be in the  :shock: range of money tho...............as for the flywheel,i just asked  for a flywheel to suit the state of tune of my motor,i'll ask the weight tho.
you should really put that head on,if you ahve one fit it! :lol: i managed to keep all my tin work/heater etc with a bit of cutting etc,if you want any info on that drop me a line,i also have the die to make new studs if you want to borrow it at all.

Tommo!! sounds like your gona go for it!!....id still use a bis tho,no fire wall to get in the way,and you could have engine under perspex inside the hatchback............................... :cool: