Author Topic: Coolant leakage..  (Read 1206 times)

Me_and_BIScuit

• Subscribers
Coolant leakage..
« on: July 17, 2020, 06:20:18 PM »
Getting straight to the point, I might have to replace the gaskets for both the impeller and the valve head. To do this, is it enough to just drain the Coolant or does the oil have to come out too, since the impeller sits on the oil sump?

Guldbergdk

• Subscribers
Re: Coolant leakage..
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 12:09:11 PM »
If its only the gasket between the thermostat housing and the engine block. No need to drain the oil. The shaft seal is held in place by the impeller. If you remove the impeller you need to drain the oil. The seal is fragile FYI.

Me_and_BIScuit

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 11:10:36 PM »
Just to give a quick update, I finally got around to attack the leaks and found that the gaskets for the temp sense valve, impeller lid, and the three way tube valve thing were all shot. And if that's not bad enough - holy rust, there's a lot of sediment collecting at the bottom of the pan! I can't tell if that all came just from the radiator or inside the engine too (I dread the latter), and the impeller, including the housing and all pipe joints touched by Coolant are totally rusted. I'm thinking of taking a wire brush and sandpaper to everything and do some kind of engine flush. Speaking of which, can someone suggest a reasonably easy method to flush all the rust and gunk out without taking the engine out? My spine and joints have declared war on me..

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 11:25:01 PM »
Thermocure Cooling System Rust Remover is reputed to be one of the best coolant cleaner around. Just follow the instruction to the letter.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW4LlVJ19MA[/youtube]