Author Topic: Is it me or are people getting greedy  (Read 5765 times)

Gadge

• Subscribers
Is it me or are people getting greedy
« on: October 06, 2017, 06:05:21 PM »
I spotted this basket case of a 126 on eBay today. It's been stood outside for many years and virtually every panel has terminal rot, the drivers side door won't shut due to the A post disintegrating and I can see the inner parts of the passenger side door from the outside. And that's just the parts we can see from the outside so what about underneath? Inside photos show a complete but very manky interior and the engine doesn't look much better. You'll have to be brave to want to take this on as a restoration but even braver I think to pay the asking price...... £595! ....... 5 pound short of £600 for a car that would probably fall part the moment you attach a tow rope to it (that's providing the towing eye has corroded away) and it doesn't even have a log book! You do however get a boot lid, bonnet a radiator and two wheels with tyres that are probably past there best but so what? Is it me or are people getting greedy when it comes to selling 126's??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322810445956
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 06:10:55 PM by Gadge »
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
Re: Is it me or are people getting greedy
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 06:54:05 PM »
It's you Gadge  ;D you have to bear in mind that this car dealer will have to add their commission to the sale and on a car of this value that would be about £590  :)
Also whoever dumped the car in a festering swamp about 10 years ago had the decency to leave the keys in it .

Bar Vitelli

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:57:55 PM »
I went to see this car before this chap bought it and the seller wanted less than £100...
Every cloud has one...

Xylaquin

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 07:54:27 PM »
Beyond restoration I'd say. Would be better breaking it for parts and then scrapping whatever can't be salvaged.

DEYAN IYI

• Bulgarian Polski FIAT 126p Fanclub
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:20:15 PM »
It is still a classic car!!! 8)

Same story here in Bulgaria. And then they just scrap em for yellow coins. .

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
Ok I appreciate he's a dealer and needs to make some dolar on it but I think he's beng a tad optimistic ........ £595........ I think the key ring that's hanging off the key is worth more than the car!  :P

drcdb15

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 09:17:35 PM »
Obviously the dealer ('family-run business' - aren't they all? Bloke and the missus with a lock-up, then...) knows it's scrap, and punters in the know realise it too. So obviously he's not trying to sell it to the likes of you and me. He's aiming at the shall we say less experienced buyer, who has a dream of restoration with no idea of what it will all really cost (and there are plenty about, witness all the 'unfinished projects' for sale that Gadge is always showing us - and I hold my hand up, I have been one too), riding the current fashion of 'getting into' classic cars.

With such a buyer, if you pitch the car at a very low price, you immediately mark it down as 'worthless'. But if you pitch it fairly high - but not ridiculously so, around the same price as roadworthy running cars - then you can use the sales patter 'it'll be worth thousands when it's all nicely restored', 'restored versions of this are selling at ten times this price' - both of which are broadly true.

A dealer isn't in business to be altruistic and hold the buyer's hand, he's there to shift stock and turn a profit. And this dealer has - apparently - a 100% positive feedback, so presumably his past buyers have gone away happy (even if they didn't stay that way!).

dajwid

• Subscribers
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »
Some of the scrap RHD aircooled suddenly become very nice cars.
And a LHD Polish Car disappears 😂

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »
These are very strange days in the world of 126's  ::)

1973/126

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 09:02:23 AM »
 Can't believe it has sold. I guess it will be used for spares.
 The funny thing is it was listed few day before for £350 with another seller ;D
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fiat-126-biz-barn-find-/272873592193?hash=item3f88889581%3Ag%3A3YUAAOSwPZBZ1LLy&nma=true&si=4C%252BekjRdZtqLl3wcDpqEwS1usso%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 09:39:17 AM »
I guess it really IS just me :P ..... well each to their own I suppose after all it’s not my money. Parts is all it’s really worth but only the box and engine maybe the front hubs and steering rack. Maybe someone wants to do a bike engine conversation on it :D :P Just seems a lot to pay (unless a deals been done outside eBay for considerably less). I’ve seen BIS engines and gearboxes turn up for alot less though

Xylaquin

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 11:19:34 AM »
well... it's got RHD headlights, those are worth a good chunk of it's value

andyzeetec

• Subscribers
  • 126 BIS
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »
Unlike a lot of adds this one definitely looks like a genuine barn find. Quite a few spares there.

drcdb15

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 11:56:47 PM »
I guess it really IS just me :P ..... well each to their own I suppose after all it’s not my money.

Pro-rata, which is more greedy - this or Greenfly? This is offered at £595, we reckon what? £100? Greenfly is offered at £12750, and we reckon what, £2500?  So they're both overpriced (according to 'our' views) by a factor of about 6. Equally good (or bad!) value, then.

Xylaquin

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 01:19:14 PM »
I reckon Firefly is atleast £5k

For RHD car's in restored condition, would it be fair to say early aircooleds get £5k, Aircooleds £4k and BIS £3k
or are we not there yet?

A grand council of the 126 elders needs to come together and agree on the real values :P