Author Topic: Snow and Wider tyres  (Read 1480 times)

thepuddlejumper

Snow and Wider tyres
« on: November 27, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »
Went for a spin in the 126 today the wider tyres have made a difference to the handling in the snow, a bit more side ways than with the original tyres.  I will need to dig the old wheels and tyres out of the hut, hope I will be able to find them and fit for the winter.  Oh the front discs also bite in and lock up more easily.  I will not be able to fit the original wheels to the front axle with the disc conversion.  Hope the bag of sand in the front will aid direction.  Has anyone else found this with their wider tyres.

Ralph

1973/126

Re: Snow and Wider tyres
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:24:40 AM »
  ;)
1972 Fiat 500
1980 Fiat 126

bis13

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 11:08:20 AM »
if you are well snowed up in your parts try using a little less pressure in your tyres than normal and use a lower gear than you normally would and use the gearbox to brake rather than using the brakes only when you are going very slowly then just dab on the brakes gently. skinny tyres will steer better as they cut into the snow and have less surface to slide on, just dont go fast.

kitten75

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »
Good advice...went out yesterday in the snow for the first time and it was a bit hairy scary, slipping and sliding quite a bit.  Can you explain how you would use the gearbox to brake?  Like the idea of not having to use brakes as much!

Mhairi

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
When I use the gearbox to slow down I take my foot off the accelorater and let the engine slow me, I also change down earlier and let the clutch out slowly and again the engine will slow me down.  This is the way I was tought to drive so so many years ago, but my son who has just passed his test informs me that I am not driving properly and should be using my brakes more to slow down, he changed his mind yesterday when he was cought in the snow.

Darrell

• facebook profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 09:47:13 PM »
I guess the instructors these days are assuming cars have antilock brakes
'84 aircooled 126 & 500F still in kit form
Not the only African in the village :)

bardy

• people at col h8 it but my gf loves it!! gd days!!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:40:16 PM »
well am learning to drive nd these days you get learnt to pass the test and thats it. The best person i think to learn you to drive properly is your dad or grandad or someone who has been driving for a long time nd i always get told off with my driving instuctor because i change down earlyer before using the brakes, because my dad nd grandad told me to

Kent126

• Closer every day to getting on the road....
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 12:09:03 AM »
AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH Nooooooooo!!!!!!

I drive to the 'system' as per police roadcraft driving manual, and being a member of the institute of Advanced Motorists and a Police class 2 driver I can't advocate the use of braking using gears!

However, having tried it in my mates car today in the snow, it doesn't half work!  [-/ lol

Tom
1974 Italian Fiat 126 TA
1996 Fiat Cinquecento Sporting
2008 Fiat Panda 100HP