Author Topic: Help me choose  (Read 3388 times)

8ballautomotive

Help me choose
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
So I've been having a major headache with wheels recently, firstly trying to figure out what size will work best and then trying to find the wheels i want in the right size, offset, PCD and colour. I think i'm going to go for one of the following wheels but can't decide which will suit the car best. I want a retro/motorsport look and i want the wheels in gold as the car will be a deep red colour and i think that colour combo works well. Whats your favorite from these:

8ballautomotive

Re: Help me choose
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »
no.6 comes in in gold also

Rusty's Uncle

• Subscriber VIP+
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
As voting is a bit topical here  :o my vote goes to no 1  :)

Xylaquin

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 05:55:11 PM »
I don't think gold looks good on any car, so I'm going to vote 6.

Gadge

• Subscribers
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 09:46:21 PM »
Number 4 for me :thumbup better in a different colour though
FOR LACK OF A BETTER NAME

GET SOCIALBLE.  Instagram me on _gadge_ ;D

thepuddlejumper

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:47:35 PM »
I'm with Gadge No 4 for me.

Ralph

drcdb15

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 11:43:36 PM »
Certainly the pepperpot style is retro, but I am guessing you are buying these wheels new, so they will be quite a large cost. So you need to think carefully about the retro style. I would make 2 observations: the first is, of all the styles, 5 are spoked, only 1 isn't. So I am guessing that really you like spoked wheels. Second, there is a very fine line between looking retro cool and just looking dated and old-fashioned...

The pepperpot style is very 1970's (I think, correct me if that's the wrong era) but they are specific to a relatively short period in time. They never really caught on big time, as evidenced by the fact you rarely see them today. Now that may be good, in that they will look distinctive, or it may be bad, in that if you decide you don't like them and decide to sell, you'll struggle to find anyone else who wants them.

At the end of the day this has to be your own personal choice, but as I say, if you are spending a large amount of money on something of very individual, 'singular' style, be careful not to think you can just 'sell them on eBay' if you change your mind - you may struggle to recoup your costs.

Having said that, the response from others suggests you'll have at least two buyers on here queueing up for them !!  :P

8ballautomotive

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:50:04 AM »
Wasn't expecting no.4 to be so popular, i'm leaning towards no.2 at the moment. I didn't used to like gold wheels either but the car will be red and some black.  Red black and gold = winning combination . Examples;

drcdb15

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »
red and gold was quite impressive with the Players Gold Leaf sponsorship a few years ago (are we allowed to mention tobacco in these politically correct days??) but that was generally with white. The JPS Lotus livery of black and gold was also very striking.

I think the key to looking good versus looking tacky is subtlety. Notice how in the pic the gold of the wheels is picked up by a single coachline and the marque name lettering, and that's it. You mustn't overdo it. Whatever colour the car there will always be some black if only from the tyres, but I don't see why red, gold and black shouldn't work. As I say, it's not the colours so much, as how they are used that makes the difference.

8ballautomotive

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 11:08:19 AM »
I've also been debating whether to go for extended arches/fender flares or try to keep it original. I finally decided to go for some extensions and order some group 2 arches for two reasons, firstly because my arches aren't that great where they have been rolled previously and secondly I can fit much wider wheels in which i might need for future upgrades. I will paint the extensions black and see how they look against the red and if it looks crap ill paint them red also.

On a different subject my seat arrived from the U.S today, over the moon with it, the fit is perfect on me and in the car and it is 9kg lighter than the previous one. Looks cool AF as well.