Author Topic: White smoke  (Read 1499 times)

126redbomb

• Subscribers
White smoke
« on: September 07, 2020, 08:42:20 AM »
Hi. Yesterday I went out in my Bis but I was a bit hesitant because it didn't feel like it was running A1 but I thought it could do with a good run plus it needed the fuel topping up (it was half full). Driving around for about 3-4 miles and there was a rattling noise from the engine bay (thought it might have been my wheel lock which was in the boot) so I stopped and moved the w/lock. I drove the a few more miles and then my car turned into the worst James Bond car :P
[youtube]https://youtu.be/gAgAswX4URA[/youtube]

ChrisRLewis

• Administrator
    • Club126uk
Re: White smoke
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 10:11:32 AM »
Looks like a cylinder head gasket issue? Have you checked the coolant level?

126redbomb

• Subscribers
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 11:45:28 AM »
I think right

but I think there is a foreign object in the tank. I tried to remove it but it just went back down the pipe >:(

126redbomb

• Subscribers
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 12:00:47 PM »
Cheers Chris
I will strip down the head but I will be honest I haven't got a clue what to do. :$
This car has given me the run around ever since I bought it. I would love to join with the meet ups but I just get too nervous because I can't trust it.
I am going to take this opportunity to strip down the carb because I am not sure the float is any good either.

andyzeetec

• Subscribers
  • 126 BIS
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 01:22:27 PM »
Like Chris said, it looks like a head gasket job.

The foreign object looks like coolant level sensor float. They can pop off the sensor body so you wont get a Dash warning light come up when your coolant is low. It simply clips back on. To determine if it is, you can remove the side louvre, you can twist/pull the sensor out, although you may have to drain the coolant system and remove the coolant tank. That said, if the head gaskets gone the system has to be drained anyway.

You can find a picture of the sensor here..  http://club126uk.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8930.msg67969#msg67969

The Forum search feature is very helpful as well.

126redbomb

• Subscribers
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 04:21:57 PM »
Cheers Andy, it is  :good:
 I thought either someone was playing silly b###ers or it is was the float ;D

126redbomb

• Subscribers
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 05:48:04 PM »
Hi Andy those links don't work :(
I had a quick hunt on the net but I can't find any :cry:
I think I have bigger problem first with the Gasket.
I can't believe the gasket has gone again!!! The car hasn't been anywhere in years so something is causing this to go. Any ideas :headscratch: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 11:51:10 PM »
I know the feeling......but mine isn't as catastrophic as that, it's just boiling up in the header tank......like a lot on here I'm finding my way round theses little monsters.....and there are more experienced guys on here, but it could be the thermostat that has stuck if the cars been stood....mine has only got 17k on the clock but was stood for eight years so I don't know if that's contributed to it failing....ive gone for the copper replacement head gasket as the consensus is they are better than the toilet paper ones....😂😂 I feel for you I really do....as they are such fun to drive when they are working ok....I've yet to do mine so she's stuck in garage....gonna bite the bullet soon and strip it down, get head skimmed and hopefully that'll sort it....let us know how you get on with yours and if you find out the reason for the faliure, it all helps in gaining knowledge and experience......good luck 👍

126redbomb

• Subscribers
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 02:13:29 AM »
Cheers njkip
The head has gone in the past and I am sure I put a copper gasket on then but it might have been bogroll   ;D
I am going to do a compression test asap and hopefully that will guide me where to go.
They are fun to drive but mine likes to go a few hundred yards and starts playing up :cry: my kids are giving me earache to get it up and running but I get one step forward and ten back >:(

Njkip

• Subscribers
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 02:27:25 PM »
No worries, so you've been there before ....well all the best with it.....hope you get up and running soon.....sounds like you're under pressure from the kids .....😂😂

126redbomb

• Subscribers
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 07:59:32 PM »
I don't know when I will get around to sorting the head gasket out but what else should I do before the head goes back on?