Author Topic: Fiat 126 bis  (Read 1161 times)

Njkip

• Subscribers
Fiat 126 bis
« on: September 04, 2019, 06:06:51 PM »
Hi everyone, any advice on why the charge light on my bis remains on while engine is running? It fluctuates from being a dim light to bright but predominantly stays dim!  It has had a new alternator fitted  before I got the car, and when I check at the battery terminals with my volt meter it's reading over 14 volts so it is obviously charging....any advice or ideas would me very welcomed....🤔

michaelodonnell500

Re: Fiat 126 bis
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 10:27:50 AM »
try checking the main power lead from battery to starter and the earth strap for continuity. If either of these are not connected well or are damaged it can affect the charging voltage.
You can use a jump start lead from the rear panel to the engine block to check the earth and in the past I have used 2 jump start leads to run from the battery to the starter motor.
This way you don't have to take the cables off the car.

If this doesn't improve things and the charging voltage is consistent I would look at chasing the charging wire from the speedo cluster.
Rust does not discriminate

Njkip

• Subscribers
Re: Fiat 126 bis
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 11:49:37 PM »
Hi, that's great advice thankyou for your time....I will follow what you've said and see if it cures the problem, many thanks.....👍