Author Topic: Rattle in rear suspension  (Read 1248 times)

Amateb8

• Subscribers
Rattle in rear suspension
« on: April 21, 2018, 07:58:29 PM »
I am going to replace both rear absorbers on my Bis. The rear suspension is a bit bouncy, or getting bouncier. It is weird that it does not get checked in the MoT. To cure this, I bought a complete set (includes bushings at the bottom and rubber bits on top) from Ricambio. Just looking at the repair history, the shocks haven't been replaced.

Whilst I am thrusting the rear frame downwards to check the shocks, as stated above, there is a rattling sound. To be exact, when I continually bounce the rear suspension, for every bounce, there is one chime sound coming from the rear passenger side suspension. Perhaps the shock absorber bushing is defective. When driving the car on medium road undulations, the rear suspension passenger side is slightly noisy, though quite tolerable. The noise disappears when there is a passenger in the car.

What can be causing the ring/bell sound? I need to get the car onto a ramp to check.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:56:50 PM by Amateb8 »

fixit

Re: Rattle in rear suspension
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 01:13:11 AM »
these sprung to mind ( no pun intended)
broken spring, perhaps a coil, has come off and ringing on the spring
worn bushings of shock absorber
loose engine covers?
could it be the driveshaft moving in and out of the grease cup wheel end or gear box

good luck
fixit